Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Need to replace my pillows - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Need to replace my pillows (/Thread-Need-to-replace-my-pillows)

Need to replace my pillows - GeoffD - 01-29-2015

The mattress store truck just showed up and swapped in a new mattress. I just bought a Simmons memory foam mattress as my first-ever mattress that doesn't use conventional spring or isolated spring coil construction. I need to replace my pillows.

I usually sleep on my stomach though I certainly spend plenty of time in bed on my back or side reading and I'll sometimes fall asleep in that position.

I figure there are a number of people here who have paid considerable attention to this. I don't mind buying 3 or 4 different pillows and moving the ones I don't like to guest bedrooms to torment house guests. I figure I'll just use m Prime membership and buy maybe four representative samples. I'm told that a bamboo/synthetic cover is a new thing. I see shredded memory foam as an option. I see gel inserts. I've owned foam pillows. I've owned down pillows. I'm not aware that I have allergy problems.

Thoughts?

RE: Need to replace my pillows - Crimson Nape - 01-29-2015

After viewing many posts, I've come to the conclusion that pillow selection is as diverse as mask selection. It boils down to finding one that interests you, cross your fingers, and go for it. It's kind of a gamble; finding the right pillow before you run out of money.

RE: Need to replace my pillows - Mr. Van Winkle - 01-29-2015

My Pillow
They are really nice! just do a search for my pillow
Sleep-well

RE: Need to replace my pillows - Gabby - 01-29-2015

I like Latex Foam Rubber Pillows. You can get them in soft, medium or firm as a rule.
I like a firm underneath with a soft on top but I am not a flat sleeper.

RE: Need to replace my pillows - TheManseHen - 01-29-2015

I like my tempur-pedic pillow...Yes they have that curve that seems to suggest it is for folk who sleep on their backs, to go under the neck...but I sleep on my stomach in the Falcon Position, Head turned left, left arm facing up at right angle, right arm behind me facing down (some call this the..ugh..modified swastika position, Dr. Falcon renamed it) and the left facing version of the above, also on my side.

I like that the tempur-pedic (memory foam) pillow is firm enough, that I can perch my face on the edge and my mask doesn't press into face. And I can use the fatter or narrower top/bottom edge of pillow depending on how high I want to be off the mattress.

I also use some down pillows around under shoulders etc for comfort as they are squishy.

I have also learned to sleep in Falcon position with head right against my Tempur-pedic mattress (no i have no connection to company, any memory foam will do, it's just what I have experience of) cause sometimes my neck doesn't want craning up to pillow height.

One suggestion if you found this to suit you, is that I also have a tempur-pedic travel size, I think I got it at Brookstone, they are
are about half the width of the usual pillow, and if you like to turn your head during the night, to perch on the other side edge of pillow, it means less moving the pillow over to reach that side. With full size, sometimes I feel like the old Royal Typewriter's return has been hit when my hand reaches out to push that whole pillow so I can have the other end of it...less ground to cover with the travel size.

Best wishes in your search.

Susan aka the Manse Hen.

RE: Need to replace my pillows - woozie38 - 01-30-2015

My choice for an obedient compliant pillow is either Kapok or feather. Both will fluff up, bend, scrunch & pretty much be what you want them to be & are not expensive. If I had to choose between them, it would be Kapok.