Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
IPAP and EPAP settings for my machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: IPAP and EPAP settings for my machine (/Thread-IPAP-and-EPAP-settings-for-my-machine)

IPAP and EPAP settings for my machine - kenes - 02-12-2015

I have a ResMed S9 VPAP S system and my first settings of 9 to 13 were too high and waking me up. At first meeting, the doctor had them lowered to 6 and 10. I missed my second meeting due to car problems and was rescheduled over two weeks later. I am calling them for earlier session today and will address these questions with my doctor, but believe in the sharing of information. I am experiencing two problems, major leaks and the pressures are showing 9 to 13 again waking me up.
My question(s) are:
Is there multiple settings on my machine, like a regular and maximum setting?

Why do I only sleep well for 4-5 hours at a time? When I arise to void, most times I am unable to get back to sleep for at least an hour, sometimes not at all.
Any and all tips appreciated.

RE: IPAP and EPAP settings for my machine - trish6hundred - 02-12-2015

Hi kenes,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there, someone will be along to help you with your machine settings.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finetuning it.

RE: IPAP and EPAP settings for my machine - kenes - 04-20-2015

Thanks for the welcome, trish6hundred. Received no response but solve two (2) of the three (3) problems I have encountered;
used mask liner so stop leaks, fabricated a chin strap from a headband to stop dry throat due to breathing thru mouth. Now I seem to be suffering from dry eye syndrome, my eyes water profusely upon awakening and my sight seems to be suffering. Sleeping better most nights but eyes and sight are now bugging me. Is there a mask maker that combines chin strap and full face mask features in one unit? Still trying to move forward. kenes

RE: IPAP and EPAP settings for my machine - PaytonA - 04-20-2015

(04-20-2015, 12:59 PM)kenes Wrote: Thanks for the welcome, trish6hundred. Received no response but solve two (2) of the three (3) problems I have encountered;
used mask liner so stop leaks, fabricated a chin strap from a headband to stop dry throat due to breathing thru mouth. Now I seem to be suffering from dry eye syndrome, my eyes water profusely upon awakening and my sight seems to be suffering. Sleeping better most nights but eyes and sight are now bugging me. Is there a mask maker that combines chin strap and full face mask features in one unit? Still trying to move forward. kenes

As far as I know there are several possible solutions to the eye problem. The first and easiest is to use a gel type of eye drop before going to bed to keep the eyes moistened hopefully through the night. My ophthalmologist recommended Systane gel eye drops.

The next step up is a total face mask that goes up over the eyes to seal on the forehead. The Respironics Fit Life mask is one of those. I think that Respironics makes another version that seals under the chin as well as above the eyes if that is of interest. Might help with the mouth (or not). Correction: It is the full life mask. It does seal under the chin but not above the eyes.

Another solution that my ophthalmologist mentioned was plugging the lacrimal ducts. I did not think too highly of that solution but I might rethink that if it was absolutely necessary.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: IPAP and EPAP settings for my machine - kenes - 04-21-2015

Thanks for your response PaytonA. I will try both of your suggestions, I found the mask on sale and will purchase and try the eye drops tonight, 21 apr 2015 and report back. ken

RE: IPAP and EPAP settings for my machine - quiescence at last - 04-27-2015

I also sense the FFM is leaking up near the eyes and sometimes fold a corner of a handkerchief in just under the seal. it eliminates the direct impingement on my eye of a rather small leak. I have minimal reported leakage.

QAL