Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model (/Thread-CPAP-ResMed-AirSense-10-CPAP-model)

Pages: 1 2

ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - theroefam - 03-01-2015

Hello all, newbie here,

On February 10th, my Doc perscribed a CPAP for me after two studies (one with and one with out). I'm not really sure how the whole prescription thing works with this - I guess that's why I'm asking.

The DME showed me the ResMed Airsense 10 CPAP model along with some others and said the ResMed was what was prescribed. I wanted one that would let me see the data afterwards. The DME said the A10 CPAP would be able to do that - that it was at the higher end of models.

After I got it home and started messing around with the ResScan and Sleepyhead software - I realize that the A10 CPAP model basically only gives compliance data (i.e. it only gives - hours used per night, apnea/hr., leakage at 95%, and mask on/off #). I can view this in the ResScan software but SleepyHead only gives my hours used and says 'Compliance Data' only.

In general is the other data worth having? (i.e. showing airflow, when the apneas occur, etc... - I would think yes).

But the real question is would I be able to upgrade to another Airsense 10 model on the same prescription? (i.e. A10 Elite, or Autoset)

It's been a little bit of a struggle for me. At first I had problems getting to sleep, now I just seem to wake up often. I added a chin strap a week ago, and that has made an improvement - but I'm thinking my mouth is still finding a way to open every once in a while.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - OpalRose - 03-01-2015

Welcome theoefam,
Although the Airsense 10 is new, you have been given the basic CPAP with limited data capabilities.
You may have to contact your Doctor and have him write a new script for preferably the Airsense 10 AutoSet. This will give you full data capabilities and allow you to set a pressure range if desired.
You should be able to upgrade to this if you don't wait too long.
Good luck with therapy.
OpalRose.
Sleep-on-pillow

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - archangle - 03-01-2015

(03-01-2015, 01:56 PM)theroefam Wrote: Hello all, newbie here,

On February 10th, my Doc perscribed a CPAP for me after two studies (one with and one with out). I'm not really sure how the whole prescription thing works with this - I guess that's why I'm asking.

The DME showed me the ResMed Airsense 10 CPAP model along with some others and said the ResMed was what was prescribed. I wanted one that would let me see the data afterwards. The DME said the A10 CPAP would be able to do that - that it was at the higher end of models.

Yep, you got screwed and tattooed. It's the bottom of the barrel. There are 4 ResMed AirSense 10 models, and this is the rock bottom.

It isn't as limited in the data it gives as the previous year's models, but it is severely lacking in data compared to "higher end" models. The better models will record every breath you take during the night, showing you how long each apnea lasted and the shape of the waveform, which gives you info on what might have happened. At best. the A10 "CPAP" model will tell you when an apnea happened.

The A10 CPAP probably does meet the requirements of your prescription, so you may not have a legal argument. You might get the real thing if you call up and complain, you might not. You'd want the Elite or one of the AutoSet models.

If it's midnight and the DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - trish6hundred - 03-01-2015

Hi theroefam,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try and see if you can get either the AirSense 10 autoSet or the AirSense 10 elite machines because both of them are fully data-capable.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - theroefam - 03-01-2015

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone.

I assume the doc just wrote the prescription for the basic model since I'm just getting into this and my pressure is pretty low(6). Maybe the DME will do something. If not I'll probably just stick with the CPAP model. It would seem weird to ask the doc for a different prescription to get the Autoset just so I can see the data (I'm thinking my doc probably doesn't care if I see the data or not)

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - archangle - 03-01-2015

(03-01-2015, 09:04 PM)theroefam Wrote: Thanks for the quick feedback everyone.

I assume the doc just wrote the prescription for the basic model since I'm just getting into this and my pressure is pretty low(6). Maybe the DME will do something. If not I'll probably just stick with the CPAP model. It would seem weird to ask the doc for a different prescription to get the Autoset just so I can see the data (I'm thinking my doc probably doesn't care if I see the data or not)

Get a copy of your prescription from your doctor in any case. It's good to have in case you need to buy something like a hose or mask and can't or don't want to wait for your DME. It's especially important to have while traveling.

Your doctor probably wrote something like "CPAP pressure 10 with humidifier and mask," and the DME sold you whatever generated the most profit for him. Insurance tends to pay the same price for any CPAP machine, so the DME will often sell you the cheapest thing he can get away with.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - theroefam - 03-24-2015

Luckily the DME is willing to change this out since I am renting to own. I was worried since everyone says they do not allow returns on CPAP machines.

The big battle I had was convincing the DME that the A10 CPAP and Elite models do not record the same data. I'm still not sure they really believe it. They said the ResMed rep told them it was only some small other differences between to two. With that info they didn't even carry the Elite model. But they will order one for me.

Probably since the % of people are not going to download software to look at their data the differences might be insignificant.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - truetopath - 03-24-2015

Glad it's working out for you!

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - AlanE - 03-29-2015

I was given the AirSense 10 autoset and like it so far. I've only had it for 4 nights. You can use the online "MyAir" to get basic data. That is to say maybe a couple more things than the sleep results screen on the machine. MyAir tells you usage hours, mask seal, events per hour and mask on/off times. The machine reports just usage hours, mask seal (green or red smile face) and humidifier status (again the green or red face). I do not have a card reader for my computer. Some day I'll buy one and see if I can get more details.

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP model - worn_out_in_lebanon - 03-29-2015

(03-29-2015, 11:20 AM)AlanE Wrote: I was given the AirSense 10 autoset and like it so far. I've only had it for 4 nights. You can use the online "MyAir" to get basic data. That is to say maybe a couple more things than the sleep results screen on the machine. MyAir tells you usage hours, mask seal, events per hour and mask on/off times. The machine reports just usage hours, mask seal (green or red smile face) and humidifier status (again the green or red face). I do not have a card reader for my computer. Some day I'll buy one and see if I can get more details.

Hi Alan. When you get something like SleepyHead and check all the data available there, you'll really like all the info you get. A usb adapter is probably the easiest way to address the lack of a memory card reader. If you search Amazon for B009D79VH4 that will take you to the #1 best seller in that category. It's $6.