Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? (/Thread-I-snore-therefore-I-mouth-breath)

Pages: 1 2 3

I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - sumzzzs - 03-12-2015

Is that not a true statement? The reason I ask is that I would really like to be able to use nasal pillows. I'm really not sure I still snore, I have no sleeping partner but I always have. Sleepyhead tells me I snore. A lot of you seem to have so much success with pillows.

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - archangle - 03-12-2015

(03-12-2015, 10:39 PM)sumzzzs Wrote: Is that not a true statement? The reason I ask is that I would really like to be able to use nasal pillows. I'm really not sure I still snore, I have no sleeping partner but I always have. Sleepyhead tells me I snore. A lot of you seem to have so much success with pillows.

I don't think that's true, although there might be a tendency to open your mouth if you snore. I can do a fairly convincing "waking snore" with my mouth closed.

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - AshSF - 03-13-2015

I never open my mouth using my P10 pillows (since I have a flat 0 leak rate all night), but I do have snores recorded on my PRS1 Auto.

So I guess I do snore with my mouth closed.

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - 49er - 03-13-2015

(03-13-2015, 12:27 AM)AshSF Wrote: I never open my mouth using my P10 pillows (since I have a flat 0 leak rate all night), but I do have snores recorded on my PRS1 Auto.

So I guess I do snore with my mouth closed.

Same here.

49er

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - justMongo - 03-13-2015

Mrs Mongo snores like a chainsaw. Yet her mouth is closed.

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - OpalRose - 03-13-2015

My hubby says I used to snore before CPAP, but now he doesn't hear me snore, and I know I don't open my mouth with my P10...but the PRS1 seems to hear snores.
I hate seeing those snores on my data!
Sleep-on-pillow
OpalRose

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - truetopath - 03-13-2015

I used to snore with my mouth closed before cpap. It was like a deep guttural rumble. I use a nasal mask with no mouth leak problems at all.

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - Sleeprider - 03-13-2015

Snoring is the vibration of the soft tissues in the back of the throat and is associated with obstructive apnea. It can occur with the mouth closed or open. When it progresses to a full apnea, the person will usually open their mouth reflexively and take in a large breath, often accompanied by a loud snore as the air passage opens. Most people with OA snore. Most can sleep with their mouth closed when treated.

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - retired_guy - 03-13-2015

Since beginning cpap therapy, one of the nice results is I no longer have to have the bedroom ceiling re-plastered everytime I take a nap.

I think as Sleeprider pointed out, you can snore with your mouth closed or open. Certainly in my case I was an equal opportunity snorer.

I do not do that anymore. Thank you Mr. Cpap.

It stopped when I got the apnea controlled. First using a nasal mask and full face mask, then moving to a pillows mask. I've been using the P10 just about since it came out and I don't see any re-occurrence of snoring on my charts.

Sometimes your chart will show "snoring" when actually something else, like mask leaks, is going on.

But, if you need confirmation and since you don't have a partner right now, we could ask "Mansehen" to pop over and listen outside your bedroom window...........

RE: I snore, therefore I mouth breath? - ClarkK - 03-13-2015

I was a snoring mouth breather before CPAP -- now I'm so quiet on nasal pillows with my mouth shut, my wife checks to see if I'm still breathing.