Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 (/Thread-Semi-permanently-disabling-modem-in-ResMed-Airsense-10)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - Sleep87 - 03-17-2015

Some reviews of the Airsense 10 have complained about the built-in modem. Putting the Airsense 10 into "Airplane" mode supposedly disables the modem, but then the machine regularly prompts you to exit airplane mode.

As a semi-permanent solution, here is one way to disconnect the modem internally. The process takes just a few minutes, but it does require opening up the CPAP. These instructions are based on an Airsense 10 as sold in the US, containing a CDMA modem-on-a-chip by Telit, model CE910-DUAL.

Usual warnings: I will not take responsibility for damage to your equipment. Doing this might void your warranty. Doing this might annoy your DME vendor. And so on.

Required tools:
  • A Torx T-10 screwdriver.
  • A plastic scribe(s) for prying the case apart. A credit card or other piece of thin, rigid plastic might substitute. If you are willing to risk causing some damage to the case, a flathead screwdriver could be used instead.

Start by unplugging the Airsense 10 and removing the water tank and hose.

Remove the shiny black front bezel by grasping it at the top and gently prying it off. Fingernails should be sufficient.

Remove the two exposed T-10 screws on the front of the Airsense 10.

On the bottom of the Airsense 10, there are eight screws. Remove only the two screws at the very back of the CPAP, about 3/4" up the side.

On the lower front of the machine gently pry the upper housing FORWARD - there are several clips that run horizontally back into the machine.

On the lower back of the CPAP gently pry the upper housing up and out. Take your time.

Remove the upper housing from the machine.

On the circuit board on the front of the machine, find the SD card cage on the left. Just below it, find a small black connector labelled J302 with four white wires running to it. You want to disconnect this gently. I suggest putting something smooth and flat under ALL of the wires and gently lifting up. It should disconnected very easily with almost no force.

You're almost done.

I suggesting testing the machine before reassembling it. Plug it in, make sure it runs. Under the "Options" menu, select "About". You should see blanks in the modem fields.

Put the top cover back on. Proceed gently. You will need to press in on the front edge. Reinstall two screws in the front and two on the bottom. Replace the front bezel.

You're done.

P.S. to anyone from ResMed reading this: some of us do not consent to having our sleep data shared with you. I was very tempted to have my DME supplier swap out this ResMed device for another vendor's CPAP. I suggest that your future machines have an easy option to disable the modem and leave it disabled. Perhaps the modem could be an easily-removable add-on, as with the S9. Or perhaps you could have a hardware disable switch hidden inside one of the side panels.

(I will try to post pictures later.)

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - justMongo - 03-17-2015

Or, you could Faraday cage it with fine mesh stainless steel screen.

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - archangle - 03-17-2015

How does it prompt you to exit airplane mode? Is there a message on the display? Do you have to clear the message before it will start, or is it just an annoying message?

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - Sleep87 - 03-17-2015

(03-17-2015, 09:44 PM)archangle Wrote: How does it prompt you to exit airplane mode? Is there a message on the display? Do you have to clear the message before it will start, or is it just an annoying message?

Every time the machine shuts off and every time the machine is plugged in, it presents a prompt on the screen. Mostly, you can just ignore it - you only have to clear it if you want to mess with the controls, e.g. to see the "sleep report".

My concern has been that airplane mode will get turned off either by accident or by someone else - one time I had taken the machine back to my DME vendor for something, and the first thing their technician did, without even asking me, was turn off airplane mode.

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - k_ogre - 03-17-2015

So you void a medical device warranty because the man cares enough about how you breathe ? Well it's your money

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - wp6529 - 03-17-2015

I consider it a pretty big security risk, not just letting your data out, but also the likely hackability of the device and what could be done that way. I don't have my xPAP yet (couple weeks probably), but I'm looking at the S9 and avoiding the 10s for this issue as well as I like the modular design of the 9 over the 10.

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - big_dave - 03-17-2015

(03-17-2015, 09:36 PM)Sleep87 Wrote: Some reviews of the Airsense 10 have complained about the built-in modem. Putting the Airsense 10 into "Airplane" mode supposedly disables the modem, but then the machine regularly prompts you to exit airplane mode.

As a semi-permanent solution, here is one way to disconnect the modem internally. The process takes just a few minutes, but it does require opening up the CPAP. These instructions are based on an Airsense 10 as sold in the US, containing a CDMA modem-on-a-chip by Telit, model CE910-DUAL.

Usual warnings: I will not take responsibility for damage to your equipment. Doing this might void your warranty. Doing this might annoy your DME vendor. And so on.

I wouldn't do this on a rental machine. The DME may consider it breach of contract due to malicious damage. Only do this if you own the machine outright.

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - k_ogre - 03-18-2015

(03-17-2015, 10:36 PM)wp6529 Wrote: I consider it a pretty big security risk, not just letting your data out, but also the likely hackability of the device and what could be done that way. I don't have my xPAP yet (couple weeks probably), but I'm looking at the S9 and avoiding the 10s for this issue as well as I like the modular design of the 9 over the 10.
really do you have internet? cell phone ? those can be hacked 100 time easier than your a10 can and can get 1000 times more data. you should think about the fear you put in peoples head with your unfounded hack paranoia.( how many proven hacks on a apap) the modem helps your care givers to get up to date info on your health if you don't trust your medical team get a new one.

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - SuperSleeper - 03-18-2015

Wrap your CPAP loosely with tin-foil.

That's what those alien-abductees do when they wear those tin-foil hats. They say the alien motherships can't read their brainwaves that way. So heck, if it works for alien waves, certainly it will work for plain old everyday radio waves.. Wave <-- alien wave.

But seriously, I don't like "big brother" type monitoring systems of any type either, so if I could, I would find a way to disable such systems as quickly as I could without riling up the DME or insurance people. But I do agree that it's much, much more likely that your cell phone or laptop could be hacked into. How many roving gangs of "CPAP hackers" are there going to be sitting outside of your house trying to siphon off your AHI data as it makes it's way into "the cloud"?

Grin

RE: Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 - k_ogre - 03-18-2015

roving gangs of "CPAP hackers"
love that lol