Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? (/Thread-What-does-settings-mean-in-Sleepyhead)

Pages: 1 2

What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - novatom - 03-21-2015

A little over a month ago I noticed a change in my prescription settings in Sleepyhead. This was a month and a half into starting CPAP therapy:

[Image: aWFT8Ig.png]

And it also showed up in the "settings" screen:

[Image: 3t47em5.png]

My doctor denied making any changes in my settings that would taken effect on 2/14. My machine does not have a modem so my hunch is that any changes he makes in my machine via the SD card would take effect immediately (I had my prior visit in January). But can changes be scheduled?

I did notice that I had a particularly high AHI when things changed. And since then, my AHI has significantly improved.

Anyways, my question is: what is "settings" in Sleepyhead?

RE: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - OpalRose - 03-21-2015

novatom,
The only change I see is that the Pressure Relief Setting (C FLEX) was changed from 2 to 3.
You can change the CFLEX setting of 1,2, or 3 from screen by turning round knob, while CFLEX is highlighted.

Since your therapy pressure is set at a straight 6, a C FLEX setting of 3 won't work anyway, because the machine can't go below a pressure of 4.

You may have turned the round knob without realizing it, while C FLEX was highlighted. I know, I've done it with humidity setting in middle of night.
OpalRose
Coffee

RE: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - worn_out_in_lebanon - 03-21-2015

In this case it shows that your c-flex setting changed from 2 to 3.
First screen shot, bottom 2 lines, 7th column.

edit - oops I see someone else already answered between the time I started reading and the time I replied... Smile

RE: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - worn_out_in_lebanon - 03-21-2015

Another thing I just noticed.
First screen shot, the section labeled Pressure Statistics.
Previously your min pressure was 4. More recently your min pressure is 6.

Possibly when the C-flex was changed to a value out of range, it basically turned off the C-flex, causing the pressure to be 6 all the time, instead of toggling between 4 and 6 on exhale/inhale.

RE: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - OpalRose - 03-21-2015

(03-21-2015, 09:06 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: Another thing I just noticed.
First screen shot, the section labeled Pressure Statistics.
Previously your min pressure was 4. More recently your min pressure is 6.

Possibly when the C-flex was changed to a value out of range, it basically turned off the C-flex, causing the pressure to be 6 all the time, instead of toggling between 4 and 6 on exhale/inhale.

Good catch worn_out_in_lebanon,

He may have been advised previously to change his pressure setting from 4 to 6, and C FLEX to 2. Don't know how it was changed to 3. As far as I know, the PR system one won't make those changes on its own, but with C FLEX set at 3, he would still get an exhale relief of 2.

OpalRose

RE: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - retired_guy - 03-21-2015

Yep. Worn out is right. Someone changed your pressure from min 4 to 6, and changed your exhale relief to 3. It could be that all that was done was ramp was turned off, and cflex increased. That would account for why Sleepyhead isn't actually reporting a pressure modification.

In any case, whether intentional by the doc or dme, or accidental by you, it has helped you quite a lot. Not surprisingly. I imagine the doc and dme's would leave you where you're at now. Maybe I would increase the pressure a tiny bit. Like to 6.5 or something.

RE: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - novatom - 03-21-2015

(03-21-2015, 11:45 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Yep. Worn out is right. Someone changed your pressure from min 4 to 6, and changed your exhale relief to 3. It could be that all that was done was ramp was turned off, and cflex increased. That would account for why Sleepyhead isn't actually reporting a pressure modification.

In any case, whether intentional by the doc or dme, or accidental by you, it has helped you quite a lot. Not surprisingly. I imagine the doc and dme's would leave you where you're at now. Maybe I would increase the pressure a tiny bit. Like to 6.5 or something.

Thanks, everyone. I think Opalrose is right, it had to be an inadvertent change on my part. The change happened on the first day of a 3 day road trip out of town and my first time traveling with the CPAP. I must have turned the knob by mistake when I was activating the various screens. I don't tend to use that part of the machine much. I just plug it in and turn it on and get my data through Sleepyhead. I haven't played with the pressure. That said I find it ironic that my sleep doctor thinks that my AHI improved without any intervention.

That is the only one flaw I have found with the design of the PR RemStar One- the same knob that turns the blower on and off is the same knob that can be used to change settings and if you touch the knob just so when it's on a particular screen, it can do things like that.

RE: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - LanceC - 03-21-2015

I found a similar change on my wife's machine but I don't see what was actually changed.

Can someone decipher this for me?

Thanks.

[attachment=1370]

RE: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - quiescence at last - 03-21-2015

@novatom - inadvertent or not, you seem to have changed it for the good. Now, the actual change and what it did. C flex adds a slight pressure relief upon exhale. I am not sure each setting correlates to 1 cmH2O increments. I think probably not.

@OpalRose - the settings are a bit mysterious, but breathing with each setting, now, I can definitely feel the punch of APAP 2 cmH2O slug at the beginning of my inhale.

CPAP with C-Flex
[Image: c-flex_pressure_profile.gif]

On CPAP, there is no set level of relief such that during exhale pressure is lower. (If you had PRS1 Auto APAP, there is a set 2 cmH2O and in addition, there is an A-flex setting which relieves even more.)

APAP with A-Flex
[Image: a-flex_pressure_profile.gif]

QAL

RE: What does "settings" mean in Sleepyhead? - quiescence at last - 03-21-2015

@Lance - did you somehow reset factory settings or clear user info on your machine? Sleepyhead might have thought you were missing between Mar 15 and Mar 18, and thinks you swapped machines. Anyway, they look like the same settings to me.

QAL