Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Dry mouth - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Dry mouth (/Thread-Dry-mouth--9002)

Pages: 1 2

Dry mouth - shortyd - 03-23-2015

Good Evening. all
I have been having a problem with dry mouth. I wake in the morning and my mouth is so dry my throat. hurts .I wear my chip strap and I think. it keeps my mouth shut any ideas

Linda

RE: Dry mouth - afriedma - 03-23-2015

Are you using a humidifier?

RE: Dry mouth - truetopath - 03-23-2015

Have you tried increasing your humidity level? Also, adequate hydration is huge.

RE: Dry mouth - shortyd - 03-23-2015

(03-23-2015, 07:01 PM)afriedma Wrote: Are you using a humidifier?

Yes I do have a humidifier. I fill every. Nite with water i have a Fisher Poykel

RE: Dry mouth - retired_guy - 03-23-2015

(03-23-2015, 07:00 PM)shortyd Wrote: Good Evening. all
I have been having a problem with dry mouth. I wake in the morning and my mouth is so dry my throat. hurts .I wear my chip strap and I think. it keeps my mouth shut any ideas

Linda

If you are using a humidifier, and the water level goes down in the tank so you know it's working, then my guess is you are not successfully keeping your mouth shut. So if that's the case, revisit the chinstrap. Make sure it is keeping your jaw gently forward so that you can block the airway by resting your tongue on the roof of your mouth.

(03-23-2015, 07:23 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 07:00 PM)shortyd Wrote: Good Evening. all

Linda

If you are using a humidifier, and the water level goes down in the tank so you know it's working, then my guess is you are not successfully keeping your mouth shut. So if that's the case, revisit the chinstrap. Make sure it is keeping your jaw gently forward so that you can block the airway by resting your tongue on the roof of your mouth.

Thanks I"mm try that I wanted to try taping my mouth shut but I just don't. Get it seems strange to me

RE: Dry mouth - retired_guy - 03-23-2015

Don't do the taping thing. Some folks do, but I think it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Work with the chinstrap placement and the tongue placement and you'll get it. Just remember to stay gentle with the chinstrap. If you cinch it down too tightly it will cause great pain in the whatchacallit gland. So in the end, it's an art form, not a science.

(03-23-2015, 07:33 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Don't do the taping thing. Some folks do, but I think it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Work with the chinstrap placement and the tongue placement and you'll get it. Just remember to stay gentle with the chinstrap. If you cinch it down too tightly it will cause great pain in the whatchacallit gland. So in the end, it's an art form, not a science.

Ii try but I think I put my head gear and strap to tight because. I get dents in my face and I hate them

(03-23-2015, 07:39 PM)shortyd Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 07:33 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Don't do the taping thing. Some folks do, but I think it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Work with the chinstrap placement and the tongue placement and you'll get it. Just remember to stay gentle with the chinstrap. If you cinch it down too tightly it will cause great pain in the whatchacallit gland. So in the end, it's an art form, not a science.

Ii try but I think I put my head gear and strap to tight because. I get dents in my face and I hate them

Sorry guys for the typo I also have fibro and I really don't. sleep 3 to 4 hours a Nite so most of the time I"m in a fog lol!
Linda

RE: Dry mouth - OpalRose - 03-23-2015

[/quote]

Hi shortyd,
Your headgear is definetly too tight if it leaves marks on your face. You can try the chin strap over your mask or under the mask. See what works best for you.
Also, try some lanolin cream with the nasal pillows, just a small amount. It will help them seal better in nostril.
OpalRose
Sleep-well