Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
nasal mask, mouth breathing and CA - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: nasal mask, mouth breathing and CA (/Thread-nasal-mask-mouth-breathing-and-CA)

nasal mask, mouth breathing and CA - torgoth - 03-28-2015

Hello, I am asking for some help on this, and I am new to the forum so if its posted already please forgive me.

I use a Respironics system one APAP and nasal mask. 3 years now
Can using a nasal mask and having your mouth open and air leak out during sleep give the machine and also Sleepyhead software the wrong info and make it look like clear airway apnea?
I have noticed that when i wake up on days that I can tell I have had mouth leaks, (dry mouth and sore throat) I feel terrible as if I didnt even use the machine at all but the software says i had an AHI of only .68 to 1.37, it does however show more CA events compared to my normal obstrucive aireway apneas.

RE: nasal mask, mouth breathing and CA - Coach_L - 03-28-2015

I essentially am having the same problem with mouth leaks. I wouldn't say it's unmanageable at this point. Having the heated tube on my APAP machine has helped decrease the problem somewhat. Some nights are better than others. They say going to a full face mask would be the next step after everything I've tried. You might want to look into doing the same.

RE: nasal mask, mouth breathing and CA - trish6hundred - 03-28-2015

Hi torgoth,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you are unable to get the mask you are using niw to work well for you, you might consider trying another mask; this is the hardest part of the therapy.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that will work.

RE: nasal mask, mouth breathing and CA - truetopath - 03-28-2015

I don't see how having a mouth leak could increase centrals; however, it will most definitely decrease the efficacy of your treatment, which would explain the crap feeling in the morning. Have you tried a chin strap to help keep the mouth shut? Or have you tried a ffm?

RE: nasal mask, mouth breathing and CA - retired_guy - 03-28-2015

True centrals? No, I don't think so. But an unidentified clear airway event, which is what Sleepyhead is reporting? Yeah, could be.

Time to see about Mr. Chinstrap.

RE: nasal mask, mouth breathing and CA - OpalRose - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 01:48 PM)torgoth Wrote: Hello, I am asking for some help on this, and I am new to the forum so if its posted already please forgive me.

I use a Respironics system one APAP and nasal mask. 3 years now
Can using a nasal mask and having your mouth open and air leak out during sleep give the machine and also Sleepyhead software the wrong info and make it look like clear airway apnea?
I have noticed that when i wake up on days that I can tell I have had mouth leaks, (dry mouth and sore throat) I feel terrible as if I didnt even use the machine at all but the software says i had an AHI of only .68 to 1.37, it does however show more CA events compared to my normal obstrucive aireway apneas.

torgoth,
If you have a high leak rate, you can't count on your machine to record apneas correctly. Do whatever is needed to tackle those leaks, either use a chin strap,
or try a different mask.
Some even go to a full face mask to tackle the problem.
OpalRose