Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Diagnosis] Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Diagnosis] Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined (/Thread-Diagnosis-Started-CPAP-3-13-found-form-and-joined)

Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - J McCoy - 03-28-2015

My condition was, I waited way to long for help.
Diagnosis 39 events per hr
Drop to 70% oxygen level
Heart rate dropped to 31 bpm
Needless to say, after at least ten years of sleepy existence I hit bottom.
I have ResMed software installed and data saved on .pdf. File is 3,839kb.
Can I upload this to see what members think of my progress and other thoughts or concerns. If someone can help, sure would like to know.
I think my AHI is average 3.9 for my usage up to now, going by the report.
Think that's real good but other data concerns me, always feel better, but some days I feel great but just some.
Still MUCH better than before.
Thanks to everyone for this form

RE: Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - J McCoy - 03-28-2015

My statistics page.
Statistics
3/12/2015 - 3/26/2015 Device: AirSense 10 Elite (S/N: 2314235----)
Device Settings
Therapy Mode: CPAP Set Pressure: 13.0 cmH2O EPR: FULL_TIME
EPR Level: 1.0 cmH2O EPR Enable: OFF EPR Patient Enable: OFF
Ramp Time: 45.0 Minutes Essentials: ON
Leak - L/min
Median: 3.6 95th Percentile: 31.2 Maximum: 49.2
Respiratory Indices - events/hr
Apnea Index: 3.7 Hypopnea Index: 0.2 AHI: 3.9
Obstructive: 0.4 Central: 3.1 Unknown: 0.0
% Time in CSR: 0.0
Total Usage
Used Days >= 4 hrs : 14 Used Days < 4 hrs : 1 % Used Days >= 4 hrs : 93
Days not used: 0 Total days: 15 Total hours used: 116:08
Median daily usage: 8:12 Average daily usage: 7:44
Name: ----------Patient ID: nn
Reference ID: nn
Date of Birth: 25 September 1958
ResScan

RE: Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - trish6hundred - 03-28-2015

Hi J McCoy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there, someone will be along to help you with your report.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - vsheline - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 10:31 PM)J McCoy Wrote: EPR: FULL_TIME
EPR Level: 1.0 cmH2O EPR Enable: OFF EPR Patient Enable: OFF
Ramp Time: 45.0 Minutes Essentials: ON
Leak - L/min
Median: 3.6 95th Percentile: 31.2 Maximum: 49.2
Respiratory Indices - events/hr
Apnea Index: 3.7 Hypopnea Index: 0.2 AHI: 3.9
Obstructive: 0.4 Central: 3.1 Unknown: 0.0
% Time in CSR: 0.0

Hi J McCoy,

I suggest you edit your previous post to delete personal info such as birth date.

Welcome to Apnea Board. I think you are off to a great start.

Your Median Leak is small (3.6 Liter/minute) which is great, and your 95th Percentile Leak (31.2) is not huge and is not too bad. We try to keep the 95% Leak below 24 L/min).

Mathematically, a 95% Leak of 31.2 means the Leak was 31.2 OR LOWER for AT LEAST 95% of the time while the machine was operating at your normal therapy pressure of 13. (The Ramp period does not count.)

Mathematically, a 95% Leak of 31.2 also means the Leak was 31.2 OR ABOVE for AT LEAST 5% of the time.

For ResMed machines, only the Unintentional Leak is reported. (The air flowing through the mask vent holes is intentional leak and is not reported by ResMed.) Other manufactures may report the "Total Leak", meaning the sum of the intentional airflow through the mask vents plus all other leaking.

It is not uncommon for new patients to have a small amount of Central Apneas like are shown in your statistics (CAI, Central Apnea Index, of 3.1 per hour) and for the CAI to gradually keep decreasing over the first few weeks or months of therapy. But even your present CAI of 3.1 is not excessive and is nothing to worry about (and it will likely gradually decrease).

It looks like EPR is turned off (EPR Enable: OFF) and normally I would suggest requesting for EPR to be enabled (or enabling it yourself), and also changing EPR Patient Enable to "ON" or "PATIENT" so you will be able to adjust it without having to enter the Clinician Menu.

However, in your case your CAI is the dominant component of your AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index) and turning on EPR or increasing the amount of EPR often increases the CAI. So if you are managing to get enough sleep now, without EPR, then I suggest leaving EPR disabled. If you are having difficulty breathing out against the pressure then I suggest enabling EPR but keep an eye on the CAI and if the CAI skyrockets then I think it would be best to disable EPR again.

Also, it looks like the Ramp may be adjusted to a long time (45 minutes). Not shown is what the Start Pressure is. If the low pressure at the start of the Ramp time is uncomfortably low, making you feel slightly smothered, the Start Pressure should be increased closer to your therapy pressure (13), or the Ramp period may be reduced to zero to completely skip the Ramp.

If the Ramp time is set to "Auto" (instead of 45 minutes) this would mean the pressure would stay fixed at the Start Pressure until your breathing pattern makes it seem like you have fallen asleep (or until a fairly long period has passed) and then the pressure would gradually increase until it reaches 13.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

RE: Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - truetopath - 03-29-2015

Welcome to the board and best of luck with your therapy!

RE: Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - worn_out_in_lebanon - 03-29-2015

(03-28-2015, 10:12 PM)J McCoy Wrote: My condition was, I waited way to long for help.
Drop to 70% oxygen level
Can I upload this to see what members think of my progress and other thoughts or concerns. If someone can help, sure would like to know.
Think that's real good but other data concerns me, always feel better, but some days I feel great but just some.

Hi J. Sounds like we're in about the same boat. I started on the 16th of this month, after probably being in this situation for around 10 years too. We're within a couple of years of each other in age. My AHI from the sleep study was 39. My AHI is ranging from 3-6, I'm on an A10 using P10 pillows. My heart rate is high instead of low though.

I think it would help a lot if I could just sleep through the night without waking up a bunch of times...

There are some folks on here who may ask you for graphs to be posted.
There is a tutorial: imgur tutorial
You could get a head start by reading that.

RE: Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - OpalRose - 03-29-2015

(03-28-2015, 10:12 PM)J McCoy Wrote: My condition was, I waited way to long for help.
Drop to 70% oxygen level

Hi J McCoy,
My stats were similar to yours. 33 Events an hr, 69% oxygen level, heart rate in the 40's. Plus I know now that I had sleep apnea for at least 5 to 6 years prior to
diagnosis.
The important thing is now you are being treated, and move forward from here.
Everyone is different, some take longer to feel better than others. Just watch your data, and try not to compare yourself with others.
OpalRose
Sleep-well

RE: Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - J McCoy - 03-29-2015

Thanks for the replies, I had no idea how bad I was until I woke up after first night or two of cpap. Somewhere else I would have to try and explain all that falls apart when you don't sleep well, not here. I can tell just from Worn Out In Lebanon's replie and name he uses he was feeling bad.
I hope the best for everyone. As I learn I will contribute back also.

RE: Started CPAP 3/13 found form and joined - quiescence at last - 04-02-2015

Welcome J McCoy. I echo that it looks like a great start. By now, you are realizing a lot of what was normal before treatment is now abnormal. And, its a good thing, because no rational person would call those conditions normal.

QAL