Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
I got my new machine, and now... - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: I got my new machine, and now... (/Thread-I-got-my-new-machine-and-now)

I got my new machine, and now... - JVinNE - 04-02-2015

It works well, according to Sleepyhead, but I'm f*rting up a storm in bed. Last night, my doctor lowered my pressure to see if it helps. I have sleep-onset centrals that went down to 72 at the sleep study; hypopnea, and a low amount of OSA in REM.

I have a ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV Bilevel, and a ResMed Airfit F10 FFM.

RE: I got my new machine, and now... - TyroneShoes - 04-02-2015

XPAP does not contribute to that.

Your screen name is apt.

RE: I got my new machine, and now... - JVinNE - 04-02-2015

Did not happen before I used the machine, and my doctor confirmed that it is from the air pressure.

RE: I got my new machine, and now... - OMyMyOHellYes - 04-02-2015

Ignore that man behind the curtain.

Farting is indeed sometimes a result of PAP therapy. You can swallow air that can go all the way through the system. If it don't come out as a belch, it's gonna come out as a fart.

OMM

RE: I got my new machine, and now... - Sleeprider - 04-02-2015

I have a Boston Terrier that is a ferocious fart monster. We should put him on CPAP to dilute the gas.

Pressure can cause aerophasia which in turn can take its course and come out as a fart rather than a burp. The thing about ASV is that even if you turn down the IPAP/EPAP pressures, the machine still ramps up and blows you full of air when you don't take a breath. That's usually a good thing for people that forget to breath. You can take solace in knowing those are expensive farts from that machine, or look into some ways of perhaps exercising the lower esophageal sphincter to prevent air from going the wrong way. The problem does resolve in some people as they adapt to CPAP pressure, and there are some exercises and body position you can use to your advantage to prevent it.

Here is one article. Hopefully that is a non-commercial article and I'm not in trouble.

RE: I got my new machine, and now... - OMyMyOHellYes - 04-02-2015

Boston terrier? A tiny little dog like that? Try a Saint Bernard or Saint Bernard/Great Pyrenees mix.

Then again, my sister's Jack Russell is a little mobile WMD machine.

OMM

RE: I got my new machine, and now... - Sleeprider - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 05:19 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Boston terrier? A tiny little dog like that? Try a Saint Bernard or Saint Bernard/Great Pyrenees mix.

Then again, my sister's Jack Russell is a little mobile WMD machine.

OMM

Don't underestimate Eddie.

[Image: DSC_0623.jpg]

RE: I got my new machine, and now... - JVinNE - 04-03-2015

What a cute dog! Smile
(04-02-2015, 05:13 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have a Boston Terrier that is a ferocious fart monster. We should put him on CPAP to dilute the gas.

Pressure can cause aerophasia which in turn can take its course and come out as a fart rather than a burp. The thing about ASV is that even if you turn down the IPAP/EPAP pressures, the machine still ramps up and blows you full of air when you don't take a breath. That's usually a good thing for people that forget to breath. You can take solace in knowing those are expensive farts from that machine, or look into some ways of perhaps exercising the lower esophageal sphincter to prevent air from going the wrong way. The problem does resolve in some people as they adapt to CPAP pressure, and there are some exercises and body position you can use to your advantage to prevent it.

Here is one article. Hopefully that is a non-commercial article and I'm not in trouble.

Thank you.