Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Horrible Allergies - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Horrible Allergies (/Thread-Horrible-Allergies)

Pages: 1 2

Horrible Allergies - Hilobarbie - 04-03-2015

Worst allergies this year...congested and constantly runny nise. Been using a Neti Pot, took decongestant earlier and an allergy pill. Still don't have and can't find anything to use as a chin strap. It's Easter in Mexico....biggest and most important holiday in the country, so in my area, most everything is closed. All of this to ask if using the CPAP tonight is of any value! Last night was full of major leaks...no doubt open mouth.

RE: Horrible Allergies - Sleeprider - 04-03-2015

I always find using CPAP is better than not. Congestion does not seem to be a problem with my nasal pillows.

Got a pair of long stretchy socks or nylons you could use to improvise a chin strap?

RE: Horrible Allergies - Hilobarbie - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 10:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I always find using CPAP is better than not. Congestion does not seem to be a problem with my nasal pillows.

Got a pair of long stretchy socks or nylons you could use to improvise a chin strap?

I'll try using it...thanks. No socks, nylons, scarves..believe me, I've looked through everything. I even tried using part of an old t-shirt that had become a dust rag. Thanks again.

RE: Horrible Allergies - DariaVader - 04-04-2015

won't help you right this minute, since you cant buy anything, but i have been using xlear nasal spray with tremendous success! you are already using a netipot, just add a tbsp of xylitol to your saline mix - it is very effective.

practice making a suction cup of your tongue on the roof of your mouth - i have actually woke with my mouth open and my tongue in this position with no leakage.

RE: Horrible Allergies - Hilobarbie - 04-04-2015

(04-04-2015, 12:25 AM)DariaVader Wrote: won't help you right this minute, since you cant buy anything, but i have been using xlear nasal spray with tremendous success! you are already using a netipot, just add a tbsp of xylitol to your saline mix - it is very effective.

practice making a suction cup of your tongue on the roof of your mouth - i have actually woke with my mouth open and my tongue in this position with no leakage.

Thanks, after things open up again, I'll see if xylitol is available down here.

RE: Horrible Allergies - Mich - 04-04-2015

(04-03-2015, 08:47 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote: Worst allergies this year...congested and constantly runny nise. Been using a Neti Pot, took decongestant earlier and an allergy pill. Still don't have and can't find anything to use as a chin strap. It's Easter in Mexico....biggest and most important holiday in the country, so in my area, most everything is closed. All of this to ask if using the CPAP tonight is of any value! Last night was full of major leaks...no doubt open mouth.

A few years ago, after zyrtec , claritin, albuterol, etc, quit working, and only alternative left was starting allergy shots. I followed the suggestion of trying local unheated honey. it has be to produced by the bees in your local area. it took me some effort to find local honey, but I began putting 1 tsp in my coffee and in 15 days time my allergies stopped bothering me. I hope it works for you too. Good luck to you.

RE: Horrible Allergies - truetopath - 04-04-2015

(04-04-2015, 10:13 AM)Mich Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 08:47 PM)Hilobarbie Wrote: Worst allergies this year...congested and constantly runny nise. Been using a Neti Pot, took decongestant earlier and an allergy pill. Still don't have and can't find anything to use as a chin strap. It's Easter in Mexico....biggest and most important holiday in the country, so in my area, most everything is closed. All of this to ask if using the CPAP tonight is of any value! Last night was full of major leaks...no doubt open mouth.

A few years ago, after zyrtec , claritin, albuterol, etc, quit working, and only alternative left was starting allergy shots. I followed the suggestion of trying local unheated honey. it has be to produced by the bees in your local area. it took me some effort to find local honey, but I began putting 1 tsp in my coffee and in 15 days time my allergies stopped bothering me. I hope it works for you too. Good luck to you.

+1 on the local honey. I also use Flonase and singulair because my allergies used to be awful. Now I love going outside during pollen season and taking a big deep breath with no ill effects.

(04-04-2015, 10:13 AM)Mich Wrote:

Thanks...I'll get some

Have to confess...didn't use CPAP last night. I put on the mask, but my nose was too sore to tolerate it. Instead, I put neosporin on my nose and called it a day.

RE: Horrible Allergies - worn_out_in_lebanon - 04-05-2015

Same here. I tried for a while. Had to sit up for a while. Finally gave it up.

Been using a saline spray/rinse. Have some Xlear arriving tomorrow.

I've never had it this bad before. Maybe the cpap is pushing the "stuff" further up in there than it would normally go without cpap.