Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Chin strap ........ :( - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Chin strap ........ :( (/Thread-Chin-strap--9148)

Pages: 1 2

Chin strap ........ :( - GrammaBear - 04-07-2015

You folks that use the chin strap successfully - how did you learn this art form? I have had the PurSom for a few nights and the information that came with the chins strap cautioned not to over tighten it too much. I am struggling with the chin strap far more than I ever struggled with any of my cpap masks. Is it supposed to be like this until I get used to it?

RE: Chin strap ........ :( - retired_guy - 04-07-2015

Define "struggle" Gramma,

What's it doing that is creating issues for you?

RE: Chin strap ........ :( - Terry - 04-07-2015

(04-07-2015, 02:28 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: PurSom for a few nights and the information that came with the chins strap cautioned not to over tighten it too much.

I like the pap-cap. It's all cotton and not stretchy.

As for "not tighten too much", I suspect that's just "don't sue us" language. It needs to be tight enough to keep your mouth shut . . .

RE: Chin strap ........ :( - GrammaBear - 04-07-2015

(04-07-2015, 03:04 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Define "struggle" Gramma,

The strap slips out of place and ends up over my ears or the chin holder covers my lip. My hair is fine and now that I'm older, I don't have much of it. It is probably my fault it doesn't 'stay put', but I definitely don't have the hang of it yet.

(04-07-2015, 03:13 PM)Terry Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 02:28 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: PurSom for a few nights and the information that came with the chins strap cautioned not to over tighten it too much.

I like the pap-cap. It's all cotton and not stretchy.

As for "not tighten too much", I suspect that's just "don't sue us" language. It needs to be tight enough to keep your mouth shut . . .

Nope. The chinstrap is not supposed to "force" anything. It is used gently to encourage the jaw to stay forward, and the mouth to remain closed. But properly applied, you can still open your mouth, speak, and drink water - or whatever.

If you use it so tight that it "forces" your mouth to stay shut you will probably soon learn the meaning of pain.

(04-07-2015, 03:20 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 03:04 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Define "struggle" Gramma,

The strap slips out of place and ends up over my ears or the chin holder covers my lip. My hair is fine and now that I'm older, I don't have much of it. It is probably my fault it doesn't 'stay put', but I definitely don't have the hang of it yet.

Some people do have difficulty with the single-strap chinstrap. But I think it's more a matter of you getting used to it, and it getting used to you. Keep experimenting with where to place it so that it doesn't slip out of place too often. I use mine underneath the P10 mask, and I think that helps everybody to stay put. Try it both ways.

All else failing, you could try staples.

RE: Chin strap ........ :( - DariaVader - 04-07-2015

I don't need one, but the DME included one in my "package" and I did try using it. Like Gramma, it just wouldnt stay in place! It may be supposed to move the jaw forward, but instead it moves it back, and it sat on my face precariously. I think the issue is that they are one size fits "all" and I have a very short face. It just doesnt fit properly. (it is the phillips chinstrap they handed out... goes around the head and has an adjustable back strap that slides up and down) I'm super happy that I managed to learn the suck your tongue to the roof of your mouth trick! I have even awakened with my mouth open yet a with a secure airlock (and no leaks ) with the tongue maneuver.

RE: Chin strap ........ :( - Crimson Nape - 04-07-2015

I've only found 2 out of 4 chinstraps, that I've tried, to really work. Both have a back-of-the-head retaining strap in their design. Out of the 2, only one will push my jaw forward and not back into my throat. This one has "ruby" in the name.

I hope thios may help.

RE: Chin strap ........ :( - AlanE - 04-08-2015

I wore one at my sleep study. hated it. It ended up slipping off and I started losing air out my mouth.

RE: Chin strap ........ :( - TyroneShoes - 04-08-2015

I've only had two nights where I wished I had a chin strap in 6 months. I got a cheap one, and its pretty good, but it is more annoying than the mask itself. I kind of gave up after a couple of nights.