Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Any suggestions? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Any suggestions? (/Thread-Any-suggestions)

Any suggestions? - Sleepy Moop - 04-13-2015

Hello all!

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about a year ago. I was using a CPAP machine for a while, however I developed rosacea a few months in and my face was constantly red and irritated. It was constantly itchy as well. Due to the rosacea, I was referred to a dentist to have a sleep guard made to address the apnea.

My question is, is anyone aware of a forum online for support of those using a mouth guard for sleep apnea?

Thanks

RE: Any suggestions? - Mich - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 10:43 AM)Sleepy Moop Wrote: Hello all!

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about a year ago. I was using a CPAP machine for a while, however I developed rosacea a few months in and my face was constantly red and irritated. It was constantly itchy as well. Due to the rosacea, I was referred to a dentist to have a sleep guard made to address the apnea.

My question is, is anyone aware of a forum online for support of those using a mouth guard for sleep apnea?

Thanks

True Rosacea should be addressed with Azaleic acid and Tretinoin, please see a dermatologist. Rosacea does not go away with a dental appliance! If you just have irritation, perhaps some moisturizer might help or wrap the part of your mask that rubs your skin with satin or silk! As far as I know, a dental appliance might help with obstructive but not with central apneas. Good luck!

RE: Any suggestions? - worn_out_in_lebanon - 04-13-2015

I don't know of a forum specifically for mouth guard use.

I saw somewhere, a form of a mouthguard that was also a cpap interface. That might be an option for you.

I was getting some irritation from my face mask, but not from the nasal pillow I'm using now. Well I was when I was using lanoline (pre-emptively), and that irritation went away when I stopped using the lanoline and used the bare nasal pillow. It sealed better too.

RE: Any suggestions? - Sleepy Moop - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 10:53 AM)Mich Wrote:

Thanks

True Rosacea should be addressed with Azaleic acid and Tretinoin, please see a dermatologist. Rosacea does not go away with a dental appliance! If you just have irritation, perhaps some moisturizer might help or wrap the part of your mask that rubs your skin with satin or silk! As far as I know, a dental appliance might help with obstructive but not with central apneas. Good luck!

Thanks!

I should have been more clear. Rolleyes I developed rosacea shortly after I started using the CPAP. I know that the CPAP didn't cause it. It's just that with the irritation, it was impossible for me to use the CPAP because my nose and cheeks were constantly irritated. The nasal pillows I had added to the irritation of the rosacea.

I actually did see my dermatologist. She prescribed a cleanser and some topical gel, but it still flares up.

The mouth guard was prescribed to me a month ago after my doctor declared I was CPAP Intolerable.

RE: Any suggestions? - OpalRose - 04-13-2015

Thanks

Hi Sleepy Moop,
I don't know of such an online forum, but I hope the mouth guard works for your sleep apnea, and that your Rosacea is under control.
My question would be this..how do you know if your Apnea is under control while using a sleep guard? Will your dentist send you for another sleep study to be sure?
Just a suggestion, you could use an overnight oximeter to record your oxygen levels.
Good Luck and hope it works for you.

RE: Any suggestions? - Sleepy Moop - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 11:38 AM)OpalRose Wrote:

Thanks

Hi Sleepy Moop,
I don't know of such an online forum, but I hope the mouth guard works for your sleep apnea, and that your Rosacea is under control.
My question would be this..how do you know if your Apnea is under control while using a sleep guard? Will your dentist send you for another sleep study to be sure?
Just a suggestion, you could use an overnight oximeter to record your oxygen levels.
Good Luck and hope it works for you.

I actually had my three week follow up on the mouth guard this morning. What they will do now is schedule me for another sleep study while I am using the guard to see how well it's working.

I'm just waiting for the doctor to call me and schedule the test.

RE: Any suggestions? - Hodor - 04-13-2015

I wish you luck with the mouthguard, but I know it did nothing for me as far as reducing my AHI. It only served to give me some TMJ.

RE: Any suggestions? - trish6hundred - 04-13-2015

Hi Sleepy Moop,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I just curious, when you did use the CPAP machine, did you ever try the SleepWeaver cloth mask made by Circadiance?
Some people have had good success with them.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.

RE: Any suggestions? - Sleepy Moop - 04-15-2015

(04-13-2015, 02:06 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Sleepy Moop,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I just curious, when you did use the CPAP machine, did you ever try the SleepWeaver cloth mask made by Circadiance?
Some people have had good success with them.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.

I hadn't tried that, but my rep was telling me about the SleepWeaver. If the mouth guard doesn't work I may have to try it.

RE: Any suggestions? - truetopath - 04-17-2015

I hope the mouthguard works for you! If not I would definitely be looking into cloth masks, or liners that can make the mask tolerable. As far as an oral appliance forum, I haven't seen one.