Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Respironics vs ResMed Differences - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Respironics vs ResMed Differences (/Thread-Respironics-vs-ResMed-Differences)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Respironics vs ResMed Differences - iSnore - 04-15-2015

My sleep doctor normally writes Respironics, but said if I'd prefer ResMed, he's good with that. I've scoured the 'net for some differences, and here's what I've come up with. Please let me know if any of these are wrong, or if there are additional differences I've missed. Thanks!

Phillips Respironics Series One Model 60 CPAPs
Made in the USA
Been out for a couple of years
More conservative/slower auto algorithm
BiPap Auto algorithm varies PS
ASV model allows more tweaking
12 Volts DC - works direct with car, RV, boat battery
No cellphone modem, more private
11" wide x 7" deep footprint
Swivel hose on top
Industrial looking
Monochrome LCD Display on top

ResMed Airsense/AirCurve 10 CPAPs
Made in Australia
Been out less than a year
More aggressive/faster auto algorithm
AutoV bilevel algorithm doesn't vary PS
ASV model mostly automatic
24 Volts DC - requires converter for car, RV, boat battery
Cellphone modem transfers your data to Big Brother
10" wide by 6" deep footprint
Swivel hose on back
Consumer product looking
Color LCD display on front

RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences - OMyMyOHellYes - 04-15-2015

Also, the Respironics (the 560 like I have, at least) tracks RERAs (whatever that is, if it is important - I can always keep track of my own REAR - wait - that's not the same thing is it?).

I believe if you want to track the RERAs with the Resmed products, you have to get the girl model A-10.

OMMOHY

RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences - iSnore - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 06:39 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Also, the Respironics (the 560 like I have, at least) tracks RERAs (whatever that is, if it is important - I can always keep track of my own REAR - wait - that's not the same thing is it?).

I believe if you want to track the RERAs with the Resmed products, you have to get the girl model A-10.

OMMOHY

Excellent observation… thanks!

I'm not sure, but I think I read there's a difference in leak detection, perhaps regarding "large leaks?"

RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences - Mark Douglas - 04-15-2015

That is the rub isn't it. The only way to find out which is best for you is to try them both.
Now if someone a lot sharper than I figures out how to make one simulate the behavior of the other that would be an amazing advance.

(04-15-2015, 10:13 AM)Mark Douglas Wrote: That is the rub isn't it. The only way to find out which is best for you is to try them both.
Now if someone a lot sharper than I figures out how to make one simulate the behavior of the other that would be an amazing advance.

Yes, indeed. The difference in the auto algorithms is probably paramount.

I also found the Respironics water tank is dishwasher safe, where you have to pay extra to get that on the ResMed. Add that to the extra for the 24 volt converter and it gets expensive.

RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences - DocWils - 04-15-2015

How each device evaluates how and where to raise pressure is different, neither has any real advantage over the other, although the Respironics has more detailed reporting categories.

At this point it is more Apple vs Microsoft sort of thing - a matter of religion over one being better than the other (not that the A vs M$ disciples would claim that they are about equal).

Common practice here is to use Respironics machines with Resmed masks. And Respironics is made in Holland, at least in Europe, not surprising, since it is owned by Philips. On the plus side, Philips devices in the medical field are hard to break.

RERA = Respiratory Effort Related Arousal.

(04-15-2015, 10:40 AM)DocWils Wrote: How each device evaluates how and where to raise pressure is different, neither has any real advantage over the other, although the Respironics has more detailed reporting categories.

At this point it is more Apple vs Microsoft sort of thing - a matter of religion over one being better than the other (not that the A vs M$ disciples would claim that they are about equal).

Common practice here is to use Respironics machines with Resmed masks. And Respironics is made in Holland, at least in Europe, not surprising, since it is owned by Philips. On the plus side, Philips devices in the medical field are hard to break.

Thanks, Doc! Good info! Got my first PC in '84, learned AT&T Unix in '86, and got my first (pre-Unix) Mac in '87. Do Windows Enterprise for a living. Have one of each on my desk at work but nothing but Macs (and a Linux server) at home. Also play with Raspberry Pi. Guess that's like using a ResMed mask with a Respironics machine, LOL.

RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences - Mark Douglas - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 10:49 AM)iSnore Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 10:40 AM)DocWils Wrote: How each device evaluates how and where to raise pressure is different, neither has any real advantage over the other, although the Respironics has more detailed reporting categories.

Thanks, Doc! Good info! Got my first PC in '84, learned AT&T Unix in '86, and got my first (pre-Unix) Mac in '87. Do Windows Enterprise for a living. Have one of each on my desk at work but nothing but Macs (and a Linux server) at home. Also play with Raspberry Pi. Guess that's like using a ResMed mask with a Respironics machine, LOL.

For some reason I have a bias toward the Ozzie machine but in reality the 12volt features of the Phillips machine make more sense for my needs. The AutoSet vs System One Comparison video is pretty awesome but then one must always looks at who funds a study ...

Thread drift alert but I'll bring it back sorta ! Using a Raspberry Pi to Z-wave my home and hopefully interface the new Lazyboy mama bought for me so I can sleep sitting up to remember my favorite settings. Yeh I know that's height of lazyboynessRolleyes

I would love access to a virtual machine PAP machine so every possible combo of features can be explored. If anyone wants to do a Kickstarter for this I pledge $100. Take the guts from a top of the line PAP machine and interface to a desktop? Sure some killjoy will complain but then I wanna build an Open EEG interface to see if I can learn to control my ADD with waveform training too.

RE: Respironics vs ResMed Differences - vsheline - 04-16-2015

Hi iSnore,

Other differences are between ResMed EPR versus the Philips Respironics A-Flex, Bi-Flex, C-Flex and C-Flex+ variations of exhalation pressure relief.

I think ResMed EPR feels very different than the PR Flex types.

ResMed EPR is simple bi-level drop in pressure of 1, 2 or 3 cmH2O when exhaling. With ResMed EPR the pressure during exhalation normally stays low until exhalation completely ends and inhalation actually starts.

At least in part, all forms of Flex are "Flow based" and to some degree include dropping the pressure proportional to the rate of airflow being actively exhaled. Near the end of exhalation, as the rate of airflow gradually tapers off to nothing, some or all of the reduction in pressure gradually tapers off (because Flex is proportional to the rate of airflow). Therefore, near the end of exhalation, when we are exhaling less forcefully but are still trying to finish exhaling, we are pushing against rising pressure, which can be bothersome compared to simple bi-level which remains at the low pressure for the whole time we are exhaling (like ResMed EPR, which is not at all proportional to airflow).

A-Flex is a complex combination. A portion of A-Flex is a bi-level drop in pressure of 2 cmH2O. The other portion of A-Flex is the standard Flex type of pressure reduction when actively exhaling. One of the things which makes it complex is, the higher the A-Flex setting, the more gradual is the pressure change between inhalation versus exhalation. A low A-Flex setting of 1 tends to be more squarewave-ish with more abrupt transitions between the inhalation pressure versus the exhalation pressure. A high setting like 3 is more triangular, with the pressure rising more smoothly (with a less steep slope) and the pressure also falling more slowly (with a less steep slope).

Bi-Flex is like A-Flex, except the bi-level portion of the pressure relief is not necessarily 2 cm H2O; it is whatever is the pressure difference which is set up between EPAP versus IPAP. (In bi-level machines, this pressure difference is called Pressure Support.) A low A-Flex setting of 1 tends to be more squarewave-ish with more abrupt transitions between the inhalation pressure versus the exhalation pressure. A high setting like 3 is more triangular, with the pressure rising more smoothly (with a less steep slope) and the pressure also falling more slowly (with a less steep slope).

C-Flex does not have any bi-level portion of pressure reduction, only the "Flow based" portion.