Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. (/Thread-Spoke-with-ResMed-got-cable-info-for-both-batteries-Double-checking-with-you)

Pages: 1 2 3

Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - JVinNE - 04-16-2015

I just spoke with tech support at ResMed, about my ASV Bilevel, Aircurve 10 machine, and they told me that I can use the 37343 cable with the ResMed Power Station II, travel battery. I just purchased it for $39.75, on a site.

They also told me that I can use the DC Converter 24V 90W and a deep cycle battery, for my ASV, in case of power failure. They also suggested that if I want more than one night on it, I should turn off the climate line heated hose and humidifier, just as many of you have said.

Is all of this info correct? Please help. I'm inexperienced; I've only been on therapy for 16 nights.

Thank you.

RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - iSnore - 04-16-2015

I'm confused. Did you buy the A10 cable for the ResMed Powerstation II travel battery but not the $650 travel battery itself? Am I missing something?

RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - truetopath - 04-16-2015

If a Resmed tech told you I would tend to believe it. I found the Resmed power station yo be horribly overpriced, and have used a c100 battery with the Resmed cable successfully.

RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - JVinNE - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 11:00 AM)iSnore Wrote: I'm confused. Did you buy the A10 cable for the ResMed Powerstation II travel battery but not the $650 travel battery itself? Am I missing something?

Yes, I bought the cable, and my family says they will help me out and buy me a travel battery. ResMed said I needed a special cable for my Aircurve ASV, so I got it online.

(04-16-2015, 11:41 AM)truetopath Wrote: If a Resmed tech told you I would tend to believe it. I found the Resmed power station yo be horribly overpriced, and have used a c100 battery with the Resmed cable successfully.

Could I use my new cable with that battery?

RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - iSnore - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 02:10 PM)JVinNE Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 11:00 AM)iSnore Wrote: I'm confused. Did you buy the A10 cable for the ResMed Powerstation II travel battery but not the $650 travel battery itself? Am I missing something?

Yes, I bought the cable, and my family says they will help me out and buy me a travel battery. ResMed said I needed a special cable for my Aircurve ASV, so I got it online.

I gotcha. From what I see in the manual, that travel battery is rated at 90 watt-hours, but it doesn't say at what discharge rate.

If your ASV draws 1.25 amps at your pressure without humidification and head hose, then multiplied by 24 volts = 30 watts draw, and 90WH/30W = 3 hrs til dead. If it only draws 0.75A x 24V = 18W and 90WH/18W = 5 hrs til dead. And so on... (7.5 hrs at 0.5A)

RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - JVinNE - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 02:20 PM)iSnore Wrote:

I gotcha. From what I see in the manual, that travel battery is rated at 90 watt-hours, but it doesn't say at what discharge rate.

If your ASV draws 1.25 amps at your pressure without humidification and head hose, then multiplied by 24 volts = 30 watts draw, and 90WH/30W = 3 hrs til discharged. If it only draws 0.75A x 24V = 18W and 90WH/18W = 5 hrs til discharged. And so on... (7.5 hrs at 0.5A)

How can I find out? Should I call ResMed Back? I could piggyback the batteries?

I just spoke with ResMed tech support again, and the tech said that most people on the 9 version of the ASV Bilevel, without heated line or humidification, got 8-10 hours out of their battery. I guess I just need to test the battery out, and if I need to, at least for the travel batteries, I could piggyback them. He said he would email me when he finds out how I can do that with my new machine. I'm now thinking that perhaps my doctor should have started me on a rented 9, until all of the 10 stuff is sorted out, and the official battery guide for the machine is out. The 10 is an amazing machine, but this battery stuff is confusing me, and I want to make sure I'm prepared.

RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - Terry - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 03:10 PM)JVinNE Wrote: I just spoke with ResMed tech support again, and the tech said that most people on the 9 version of the ASV Bilevel, without heated line or humidification, got 8-10 hours out of their battery.

I believe that. On the other hand, it's going to suck without a humidifier.

If this is for home use, for power failures, I'd suggest a very small, high quality generator like the Honda EU1000. Just put it outside somewhere, fire it up and use an extension cord. It's vey small, very quiet and will get you a couple of days on less than a gallon of gas.

If it's for travel, what were you thinking of? Backpacking, or use in aircraft, or something else?

Terry

RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - GeoffD - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 04:59 PM)Terry Wrote: If this is for home use, for power failures, I'd suggest a very small, high quality generator like the Honda EU1000. Just put it outside somewhere, fire it up and use an extension cord. It's vey small, very quiet and will get you a couple of days on less than a gallon of gas.

I've written several times that the ResMed DC-DC converter, a 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery, and a Battery Tender Jr power failure kit costs about $190.00. Just plug the battery tender in monthly to top the battery up. If the power goes out, it's 30 seconds to hook it up using the flashlight application on your smartphone.

A little Honda generator is $800. (Honda is FINALLY allowing online sellers to discount them). You then need to worry about care & feeding of a generator. Ethanol-free gasoline. Oil changes. Running it occasionally. If you live in an apartment, where do you store it or the gasoline for it? Where did that damned extension cord get to? I look at buying one occasionally and opt out. My winter place is a townhouse condo and I have nowhere to store it or the gasoline.

RE: Spoke with ResMed, got cable info for both batteries. Double checking with you. - truetopath - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 11:41 AM)truetopath Wrote: If a Resmed tech told you I would tend to believe it. I found the Resmed power station yo be horribly overpriced, and have used a c100 battery with the Resmed cable successfully.

Could I use my new cable with that battery?

If it's the specific cable for your machine then using it with the c100 battery kit should be no problem.