Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Pressure] What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Pressure] What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? (/Thread-Pressure-What-if-my-C-PAP-is-causing-my-GERD)

What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? - BruceLeitertheWriter - 04-18-2015

:grin: My C-PAP salesman and ENT and sleep doctors think that my machine pushes air into my stomach to cause my acid reflux. I get my GERD only at night when I'm asleep. We've ruled out any other cause. Do any of you forum participants have the same problem? If so, what have you done about it, if anything? Huh Thanks.

RE: What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? - PaulaO2 - 04-18-2015

It is called aerophagia. Try raising the head of your bed. You can put something under the feet of the headboard or raise just the head of the mattress. Many of us have it when we start out and for a lot of us, it goes away as we get used to it. For some people, it doesn't.

How long have you been using your CPAP?

RE: What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? - truetopath - 04-18-2015

I 2nd the raising the head of the bed thing. Also, did they give you a Prilosec or Prevacid or something like that to help?

RE: What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? - trish6hundred - 04-18-2015

Hi BruceLeitertheWriter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? - BruceLeitertheWriter - 04-20-2015

Thanks, everyone! We've tried all of the meds, and I sleep on a mattress wedge that elevates my head. The next thing we might try is to decrease the titration rate of the air pressure to see if that change might help. You might be interested in my personal website, [link removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

RE: What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? - AlanE - 04-21-2015

I Ranitidine

RE: What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? - Crimson Nape - 04-21-2015

I have your problem. My Gastro man wanted me to tilt the bed where the head is 6" higher than the foot of the bed. I found that you need velcro pj's for that angle. I compromised and raised it to 3" and have found that this helped considerably. I am prescribed Nexium, the 40mg version. I was advised to take it on an empty stomach for a greater effect. You might try doing this with your meds to see if there's any difference. You didn't mention this but don't eat or drink anything, other than water, for 3 hours or more before bed. . . the longer the better.

Good Luck!