Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Sounds like steaming water... - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Sounds like steaming water... (/Thread-Sounds-like-steaming-water)

Pages: 1 2

Sounds like steaming water... - PositiveMe123 - 04-22-2015

I've had my ResMed Vpap auto for 3 1/2 years. Up until recently, I never heard the slightest noise. More recently - the last 3 months, I hear a noise from the humidifier that sounds like the water is simmering. Yes, I always use distilled water and don't change the temperatures.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it and if it can be fixed?

Thanks very much.

RE: Sounds like steaming water... - trish6hundred - 04-22-2015

Hi happydaz,
Is your humidifier plate hot when you hear the simmering sound?
Hang in there for ideas and suggestions.

RE: Sounds like steaming water... - trailrider - 04-22-2015

It may need servicing. 3 years is a good long time for something doing daily duty. Maybe something (dust) got caught on the bottom of the humidifier and is frying when it is on.

RE: Sounds like steaming water... - DeepBreathing - 04-22-2015

I agree with Trailrider it may be time to get it serviced. I doubt very much it's hot enough to simmer - as a guess I'd say it might be a slight leak. Perhaps the connection between the blower unit and humidifier, possibly within the humidifier tank or where the hose connects on the back.

RE: Sounds like steaming water... - me50 - 04-22-2015

this brings up a good point of servicing our machine. How many get their machine serviced? If you do, how often and where do you take it (your DME where you purchased it) and what do they do when they service it?

RE: Sounds like steaming water... - archangle - 04-22-2015

Do you have more than one water tank? Most insurance will buy another after 6 months. Swap the water tank if you can.

Is this an S9 VPAP Auto? If so, you can just take the water tank out, turn off the heat, and use the machine to see if the sound changes.

Is it a noise all the time or does it vary with inhale and exhale? Does it stop immediately when you push the power button? How about if you take the hose off the mask and put your thumb over the end?

RE: Sounds like steaming water... - PositiveMe123 - 04-24-2015

(04-22-2015, 11:04 PM)archangle Wrote: Do you have more than one water tank? Most insurance will buy another after 6 months. Swap the water tank if you can.

Is this an S9 VPAP Auto? If so, you can just take the water tank out, turn off the heat, and use the machine to see if the sound changes.

Is it a noise all the time or does it vary with inhale and exhale? Does it stop immediately when you push the power button? How about if you take the hose off the mask and put your thumb over the end?

No, it doesn't vary with inhale or exhale. Yes, it stops as soon as I push the power button. Haven't tried taking hose off the mask and using thumb... but I will this evening. I'll also get a new humidifier... I've been using same one for over a year. I have a feeling my machine may need a check up tho.

Thank you everyone for replying.

RE: Sounds like steaming water... - OpalRose - 04-25-2015

(04-22-2015, 10:18 PM)me50 Wrote: this brings up a good point of servicing our machine. How many get their machine serviced? If you do, how often and where do you take it (your DME where you purchased it) and what do they do when they service it?

me50,
I've only had my machine 6 months and won't own it until my 13 month rental period is up. But I was wondering the same should a need arise for servicing.

I can only imagine what my DME might do to it....maby change all my settings,
try to lock me out of clinical mode! Can you tell I'm not too trusting of them?
Dodgy

RE: Sounds like steaming water... - truetopath - 04-26-2015

I doubt the plate gets hot enough to have a sizzle. I would be more inclined to think its a leak somewhere between the blower output and your mask. When was the hose last changed? It could be a pin hole leak somewhere in the hose as well. With the pressure blasting through it could make a sizzle sound. Just something else to investigate. Good luck!

RE: Sounds like steaming water... - PaytonA - 04-26-2015

Is the hose connection from the top of your tank or from the back?