Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
S9 autoset and extension cord - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: S9 autoset and extension cord (/Thread-S9-autoset-and-extension-cord)

Pages: 1 2

S9 autoset and extension cord - truetopath - 04-26-2015

So I have a silly question. I like to camp out in the tents in the backyard with the kiddos when we're not out roughing it in the woods. My question is can I run an extension cord from the outdoor outlet on the house and plug my s9 autoset into it? I would use the manufacturer cord that came with the machine.

RE: S9 autoset and extension cord - retired_guy - 04-26-2015

Should be fine. Use a good one rated for outdoors.

RE: S9 autoset and extension cord - PaytonA - 04-26-2015

Don't see why not.

RE: S9 autoset and extension cord - Quila - 04-26-2015

I used to camp a lot and have actually woken up rather damp after some heavy rain. The only thing I'd suggest is to make sure the machine, power cord and brick are raised off the tent floor and protected from getting wet. It might not be an issue in your climate, but just something to think about. Of course, if you're camping at home, you can always sleep in bed if it's raining. Other than that, I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't work.

RE: S9 autoset and extension cord - GeoffD - 04-26-2015

It's only 90 watts. Like an incandescent light bulb. You don't need a particularly beefy extension cord. An electric grass trimmer or hedge trimmer consumes at least 3x more power.

RE: S9 autoset and extension cord - PaulaO2 - 04-26-2015

I use an extension cord all the time when I travel since rarely are hotel outlets where I need it.

Due to dampness, invest in a decent but cheap GFI/surge or get a cord that has one. They make small ones for laptops that plug into just before the power brick. Saves space.

RE: S9 autoset and extension cord - justMongo - 04-26-2015

An outdoor outlet should by code be a GFCI outlet. Max current for the brick is 1.5 Ampere. Let's say you had a really cheapo extension, like 18 Gauge wire running 100 feet. (That's 200 feet total for the Hot and Neutral.) 18G copper wire is 0.00762 Ω/ft @65 °C. 0.00762 Ω/ft x 200 ft = 1.524 Ω. The Voltage loss would be 1.524 Ω x 1.5 Ampere = 2.286 Volts. So, if you have 120 Volts at the outlet, you would have 117.7 Volts at the Brick. Well within the 100 Volt minimum required per the power brick label. Most likely you would use a better extension cord.

RE: S9 autoset and extension cord - truetopath - 04-26-2015

Awesome!! Thanks everyone!

RE: S9 autoset and extension cord - Mark Douglas - 04-26-2015

Unless you verify GFCI in circuit and test it to prove it woks use a plugin and be sure the cord is in good shape. No nicks ! Yes the GFCI should save you but stepping on an abraded cord in wet grass is something you don't want to test. Do not ask how I know this.

RE: S9 autoset and extension cord - surferdude2 - 04-26-2015

Modern homes are required to have GFCI protected receptacles in all bathrooms and any outdoor receptacles (if present). It is also required on kitchen receptacles that are withing reach of any grounded water pipes or faucets. There are two easy ways to check to see if your house is in compliance. Either there will be red & black buttons on the receptacle to press to test the operation of it or there will be a red & black button on the circuit breaker in your branch panel box that does the same thing. Pressing the black button will trip the device and power will be shut off. Press the red button to reset it. Alternately you can use a test device that introduces a fault current at a level that is deemed proper to trip the device. That's how building electrical inspectors check for compliance. That device costs under $10 and is also available at those stores mentioned below.

If you have one of those GFCI receptacles available, you can run a cord from it to anywhere outside and be reasonably safe from a ground fault causing an electrocution. That doesn't mean that you are completely safe since a line to neutral hazard will not trip the GFCI and the circuit breaker will not protect at a level that will save your life. Use good judgement and keep the business end of the cord enclosed in a plastic bag and be sure the cord is rated for outdoor use and has no nicks in the jacket. Place it where it won't likely be walked on and warn others not to walk on it.

If no GFCI protected receptacle is present, you can buy a plug in device that provides that protection as a temporarily measure. They cost about $30 at builders supply houses like Lowe's or Home Depot. Later you should have proper receptacles installed as required by the N.E.C.. They cost under $15 and are easily installed without need for an electrician.

I've used drop cords outdoors many times without any GFCI protection and I'm not dead yet but with the advent of cheap protection from the possibility of ground fault electrocution, why not take advantage of it? You certainly don't want to risk harming one of those kids!