Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Should I try a new FFM? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Should I try a new FFM? (/Thread-Should-I-try-a-new-FFM)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Should I try a new FFM? - JVinNE - 04-29-2015

(04-28-2015, 05:11 PM)truetopath Wrote: If the lines are from the cushion itself and not the straps I would definitely say the mask is too tight. Does the simplus cushion inflate to help create the seal? I'm not too familiar with it.

It doesn't inflate in the way the F10 did.

RE: Should I try a new FFM? - TravitoDLM - 04-29-2015

If i remember my sleep study right, the Simplus has more of a gel type cushion, or at least that softer textured silicone (not the smooth type like on a Mirage)

I've got a simplus on the way to have either as my primary, or as a backup (as I got an F10 yesterday, having hated the Mirage Quattro, and I'm actually really liking the F10.) Have you tried making sure you're kind of rolling the nose part of the simplus onto your nose? That was something the lady at the sleep study center said as she stuck it on me during the study. The simplus has that "roll fit" thing that's supposed to prevent leaks from around the nose, but I think you have to kind of work your nose into it a certain way as you put it on in order to really make that take effect. Once I had it situated right during the sleep study, it was comfortable with no leaks around the eyes.

Hope this advice is useful!

RE: Should I try a new FFM? - PaytonA - 04-29-2015

Nope. The Simplus does not have a gel type cushion. It is an "inflatable" silicone cushion. It does seem to me to be a little stiffer than the primary seals on the Mirage Quattro and I think probably the F10. The Resmed mask designers use a very flexible primary seal membrane with a semi-separate silicone stiffener where needed. The Simplus uses stiffeners that are cast into areas in the silicone seal material giving a one piece seal with varying stiffness.

JV,

It could be that the cushions that you got are a little thicker than normal or that there was an anomaly in the curing of the cushions that are causing the red marks. I would be tempted to just get a new set of cushions and see if I still had the same problem. At the same time you could change sizes if you need to since the only difference in the sizes is the cushion. All sizes use the same frame.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Should I try a new FFM? - jcarerra - 04-29-2015

(04-27-2015, 05:02 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: ...After that, you may need a smaller size. In all the other masks I had tried, I needed the medium. But with the Simplus, the small fits me better.

I discussed this with my DME tech, noting that the Simplus medium was WAAAAYY bigger than my other two FFM model mediums--and did I need a small since it was leaking. She would hear nothing of it--remeasuring and saying "no, you are a medium."

Your experience tells me I should have insisted instead of caving to "the professional."

(04-29-2015, 11:07 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Nope. The Simplus does not have a gel type cushion. It is an "inflatable" silicone cushion. It does seem to me to be a little stiffer than the primary seals on the Mirage Quattro and I think probably the F10. The Resmed mask designers use a very flexible primary seal membrane with a semi-separate silicone stiffener where needed. The Simplus uses stiffeners that are cast into areas in the silicone seal material giving a one piece seal with varying stiffness.

JV,

It could be that the cushions that you got are a little thicker than normal or that there was an anomaly in the curing of the cushions that are causing the red marks. I would be tempted to just get a new set of cushions and see if I still had the same problem. At the same time you could change sizes if you need to since the only difference in the sizes is the cushion. All sizes use the same frame.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Dents in the face, not even red marks. Last night, I loosened it up a bit, and it wasn't as bad, but I kept feeling air on my eyes, even though Sleepyhead said almost no leaks, and AHI of 0.0.

I think I have the smallest size available; small. The really nice DME lady who came to my house, measured my mouth and nose area before putting it on me. My DME is so great, and I am surprised by it, especially after all of the stories I've heard about so many DME people.

(04-29-2015, 02:24 PM)JVinNE Wrote: Dents in the face, not even red marks. Last night, I loosened it up a bit, and it wasn't as bad, but I kept feeling air on my eyes, even though Sleepyhead said almost no leaks, and AHI of 0.0.

I think I have the smallest size available; small. The really nice DME lady who came to my house, measured my mouth and nose area before putting it on me. My DME is so great, and I am surprised by it, especially after all of the stories I've heard about so many DME people.

Sounds great except for the leaks onto your eyes. I have the same problem with the Simplus. I do not know how tight you have the upper straps but I had to tighten mine up so that the stabilizer was held tight against my forehead in order to keep the leaks into my eyes stopped. It seems that most people leave the top strap fairly loose. I could not. Even then if I pushed against the pillow or something with the side of the mask, it would start to leak on one side and I would have to readjust it to eliminate the leak. The stabilizer was tight enough on my forehead that it caused a little pain but one of those round cotton pads from the drug store between the stabilizer and my forehead fixed that.

Good luck with your masks.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

(04-29-2015, 11:09 AM)jcarerra Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 05:02 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: ...After that, you may need a smaller size. In all the other masks I had tried, I needed the medium. But with the Simplus, the small fits me better.

I discussed this with my DME tech, noting that the Simplus medium was WAAAAYY bigger than my other two FFM model mediums--and did I need a small since it was leaking. She would hear nothing of it--remeasuring and saying "no, you are a medium."

Your experience tells me I should have insisted instead of caving to "the professional."

I think that you need to be your own judge on the size that you need. I did my own measurements to determine the size I needed in the Simplus. The measurement showed that I was right in the middle of the medium size range. I ordered a medium. After using it for several days, I felt that a small would work better for me due to my facial (nasal) topography.

I ordered a set of small cushions and they did work a little better for me. My logic in my case was that I felt that having the seal further down my nose would make it so the seal did not have to extend itself so far from the plane of the hard plastic and I hoped that it might seal better. It did.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Oddly enough, the DME called me this afternoon; good timing, and told me I get a new cushion on the 7th. Going to mess with the straps some more, and see what's what. My DME rep told me my numbers have been great, and even though I get Aerophagia that is rather loud at times, and dry mouth, I'm glad that the report is good. As of today, I have been on therapy for 29 days.

How often do I really need to wash out the hose? I haven't done it in about almost two weeks. I wash my mask daily, and my humidifier about once a week, but when I drain any leftover water out, I dry it with clean tissue, and let it air, open.

RE: Should I try a new FFM? - jcarerra - 04-29-2015

It was good to find out here that the cushion size can be changed on the Simplus--that the mask frame does not change. I will try to get ONE small next reorder (soon) and try to get them to send just one--they always want to do 3 months at a time, to save postage I am sure.

You really find out good stuff here...wish I had time to read every thread every day.

RE: Should I try a new FFM? - PaulaO2 - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 11:09 AM)jcarerra Wrote:

For me, the medium is big enough to act as a chin strap. I kinda liked it in the beginning but once I tried the small, I changed my mind.

Tell the tech to give you the size you want. Sometimes measuring isn't enough. It's not just the measurements, it's the fit. And those are two different things.