Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
5 hours sleep only. help - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: 5 hours sleep only. help (/Thread-5-hours-sleep-only-help)

Pages: 1 2

5 hours sleep only. help - cyrano - 04-27-2015

All was great when i first got my CPAP machine, now, for some reason, I only sleep 5 hours each night, doesn't matter what my state is when I go to bed, at the 5 hour mark, I wake up. I would say to myself that maybe this is all my body needs, except that now I am back to falling asleep in meetings at work, this had stopped for a few years but for the past year or so, during this annoying 5 hours sleep only, I almost feel like I used to prior to getting on the machine. I am open to any ideas or suggestions that may help me. Thanks in advance.

RE: 5 hours sleep only. help - eseedhouse - 04-27-2015

Well, we need a lot more information! What do you know about how well your machine is working? What is your typical AHI?

And why aren't you using software to see what's happening to you? This treatment is not a magic cure all - knowledge is your friend, ignorance your enemy. Start downloading data from your machine and looking at it every day. Upload some days to the site here - there are lots of experienced people who can give you good suggestions. That's my advice anyway, for what it's worth.

RE: 5 hours sleep only. help - DariaVader - 04-27-2015

7 to 19 is quite a spread. I wonder how often you get anywhere near your max? get sleepyhead and take a lookie at the data Smile
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

RE: 5 hours sleep only. help - justMongo - 04-27-2015

I'm going to infer that you have been at this for several years -- going by your join date.
Suggestion: Examine what about you has changed since you started CPAP.
Weight Gain? Other health issues? Medications? You moved to KalifoЯnia?

RE: 5 hours sleep only. help - worn_out_in_lebanon - 04-27-2015

Possibly you could get a second block of sleep after the first five hours.

This is an interesting perspective on sleep time:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201403/nightly-8-hour-sleep-isnt-rule-its-myth

"History yields valuable insights regarding sleep. According to some recent research, until the age of electricity many people slept in two segments. They would wake up in the night for an hour or two, then return to sleep for another block of time. “The dominant pattern of sleep, arguably since time immemorial, was biphasic,” says Roger Ekirch, a sleep historian at Virginia Tech University and author of At Day’s Close: Night in Times Past. "Humans slept in two four-hour blocks, which were separated by a period of wakefulness in the middle of the night lasting an hour or more. During this time, some might stay in bed, pray, think about their dreams or talk with their spouses. Others might get up and do tasks or even visit neighbors before going back to sleep.”"

...wonder what one would do when "visiting neighbors" in the middle of the night, back before the days of electricity? Smile

RE: 5 hours sleep only. help - AlanE - 04-27-2015

(04-27-2015, 02:57 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: Possibly you could get a second block of sleep after the first five hours.

This is an interesting perspective on sleep time:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201403/nightly-8-hour-sleep-isnt-rule-its-myth

Hmm I'd have to say I am Biphasic. Sometimes Polyphasic. Problem is, I don't invent anything fun. I just sit on the couch in the dark and drink water until I head back to sleep. I have good conversations with my inner-self though. Sometimes shushing the caterwauling cats. Each of which insist 3am is the perfect time to work their singing voices.

RE: 5 hours sleep only. help - Robert Wilson - 04-27-2015

(04-27-2015, 11:12 AM)cyrano Wrote: All was great when i first got my CPAP machine, now, for some reason, I only sleep 5 hours each night, doesn't matter what my state is when I go to bed, at the 5 hour mark, I wake up. I would say to myself that maybe this is all my body needs, except that now I am back to falling asleep in meetings at work, this had stopped for a few years but for the past year or so, during this annoying 5 hours sleep only, I almost feel like I used to prior to getting on the machine. I am open to any ideas or suggestions that may help me. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you may need (GOD forbid) a full mask. Do you know if you snore? You might want to down load SLEEPY software to track your episodes, if any. You need to jump on this as soon as possible as there are dire results should you ignore this problem.

Back again; I forgot to mention that when I can't sleep, I pop a Melatonin,or about six ounces of red wine, or watch "JUST FOR LAUGHS" on the PC.[/size][/font]
All was great when i first got my CPAP machine, now, for some reason, I only sleep 5 hours each night, doesn't matter what my state is when I go to bed, at the 5 hour mark, I wake up. I would say to myself that maybe this is all my body needs, except that now I am back to falling asleep in meetings at work, this had stopped for a few years but for the past year or so, during this annoying 5 hours sleep only, I almost feel like I used to prior to getting on the machine. I am open to any ideas or suggestions that may help me. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]
[/quote]

RE: 5 hours sleep only. help - PaulaO2 - 04-28-2015

Cyrano, talk to your GP about a time release sleep aid to use for a short term. There's some that you take prior to sleep that doesn't kick in for several hours. It's for folks who wake up at about 2-4am and can't go back to sleep. In the meantime, research sleep hygiene and anything you can find about how to get back to sleep. Meditation, certain herbal teas, etc can help. Melatonin isn't a sleeping pill. You can't take it and expect it to put you to sleep. What it can do for you is help realign your clock. It *might* work in your case. Read up on it and see.

Robert, I'm not sure why you think a FFM would do him any good. Nothing he's said has indicated he has trouble with dry mouth, snoring, or any other issue along those lines. Wine is respiratory suppressant and while it may make you sleep better, it will most likely raise your AHI.