Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
events/hour and mask leakage - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: events/hour and mask leakage (/Thread-events-hour-and-mask-leakage)

events/hour and mask leakage - Johhny72 - 04-30-2015

How does my Airsense10 measure an event for the event/hour score.
What constitutes an event?

Sometimes when I am changing positions, I notice I grit my teeth and hold my breath for several seconds during the change, repositioning covers and my leg pillow. Is something like that recorded as a stop/breathing event?

How much time between breathes registers as an event.

How many events must one have to get less than the maximum of the 5 point score?

How does my machine measure mask leakage. It seems that no matter how I adjust my straps, my scores stay in the mid range area. I have had as high as an 18 and as low as a 2. I still wake up well rested and love my machine. I just don't understand the details I am asking about.

RE: events/hour and mask leakage - PaytonA - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 10:41 AM)Johhny72 Wrote: How does my Airsense10 measure an event for the event/hour score.
What constitutes an event?

Sometimes when I am changing positions, I notice I grit my teeth and hold my breath for several seconds during the change, repositioning covers and my leg pillow. Is something like that recorded as a stop/breathing event?

How much time between breathes registers as an event.

How many events must one have to get less than the maximum of the 5 point score?

How does my machine measure mask leakage. It seems that no matter how I adjust my straps, my scores stay in the mid range area. I have had as high as an 18 and as low as a 2. I still wake up well rested and love my machine. I just don't understand the details I am asking about.

An apnea is a cessation of breathing for 10 seconds minimum. A hypopnea is a 50% reduction in breathing for 10 seconds minimum.

AHI is the total number of apnea and hypopnea events divided by the time slept so it is basically a time based cumulative average. 5 x hours slept=maximum total events to achieve AHI of 5 or less.

Using a nasal mask it is possible that you are getting mouth leakage while asleep. If 18 is your max, that is not a problem. All masks are subject to some inadvertant leakage. Resmed uses a rather complex method to make a good estimate of unintentional leakage. As long as the unintentional leakage is under 25.0 liters/minute, the machine can deal with it and maintain reasonable accuracy according to Resmed.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: events/hour and mask leakage - trish6hundred - 04-30-2015

Hi Johhny72,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: events/hour and mask leakage - truetopath - 04-30-2015

Payton nailed it. Whenever I have to reach for something, etc and I know I'm going to hold my breath, I try to keep it to 10 seconds or less to not trigger a false event.