Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] My CPAP Headlight - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] My CPAP Headlight (/Thread-Equipment-My-CPAP-Headlight)

Pages: 1 2

My CPAP Headlight - captzero - 04-30-2015

G'day All,

This is my first post... I'm a new member but have been browsing the forum since I was diagnosed a few months ago. It was all a little overwhelming at first and a bit of a struggle but I'm doing okay and now and realise that this is a new way of life for me (and the family). I've seen a huge improvement in my daytime tiredness, headaches etc. My AHI was 28 but now hovers around 4 - 9 and seems to be getting better as time goes on.

I had a bit of a dilemma... along with all the usual things that go on a bedside table (lamp, reading book, spectacles, glass of water, etc), I had to now include the CPAP machine and humidifier.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer anyway and after a little thinking, I came up with this lamp and mask storage combo. It's made from a glass head (from eBay), and a cheap lamp (from any lighting supplier). I like to call this my "CPAP Headlight". It does away with the separate lamp and gives me somewhere to store my mask during the day (before this, I used to chuck the mask and hose in the draw underneath).

I know I could have got a bigger table but this was fun and sorta looks cool too.

Cheers

Dan
Brisbane, Australia.

[attachment=1451]
[attachment=1452]

RE: My CPAP Headlight - DariaVader - 04-30-2015

very cool Big Grin

RE: My CPAP Headlight - worn_out_in_lebanon - 04-30-2015

Kind of cool. Smile

I wonder if they make a glass skull too... that would be for a little different crowd though I think.

RE: My CPAP Headlight - iSnore - 04-30-2015

That's pretty neat! When I read the subject, I thought you'd mounted a Petzl or similar on your headgear for lighting your way to the bathroom at night.

RE: My CPAP Headlight - trish6hundred - 04-30-2015

Hi captzero,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good to hear that you are adjusting well to CPAP and it sounds like you have a neat invention with your CPAP headlight.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

RE: My CPAP Headlight - truetopath - 04-30-2015

Welcome to board! That's an awesome concept! What kind of bulb do you use? I'd be a little worried about it heating up the mask to much, but then again it's probably on for a short time only before bed I would guess.

RE: My CPAP Headlight - PaulaO2 - 04-30-2015

Yeah, I'd use a low bulb in there just to watch for heat.

But way creepy cool!

RE: My CPAP Headlight - Mark Douglas - 04-30-2015

Cool!
Now combine it with a lava lamp.

RE: My CPAP Headlight - captzero - 05-02-2015

Hi truetopath & PaulaO2

I thought about the bulb and heat buildup. Initially, I trialled an ordinary 40w incandescent bulb and although the head is quite thick, it did get warm after a while. Just to be safe I settled on a 5w LED bulb. The bulb's 'glass' shell is actually plastic so no issues with heat and its amazingly bright and economical as well.

Cheers

Dan
Brisbane, Australia.

RE: My CPAP Headlight - Mosquitobait - 05-02-2015

I think it's great! Good job!