Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New Member and Optimistic - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New Member and Optimistic (/Thread-New-Member-and-Optimistic)

Pages: 1 2

New Member and Optimistic - kingskid - 05-07-2015

Hello All,

I woke up gasping for breath about a year ago or so and then got married a few months after that. Subsequent to our marriage, my husband told me I held my breath on at least one occasion (well, I was probably deep-sea diving in my dreams, duh!). Anyway, decided a sleep test was in order, so a month ago I had the test done in a hospital setting, but haven't received a written copy of the report yet. My dr. did say my AHI was 22.7, so I'm going in for the titration test in a month or so.

Glad to have found this forum as I want to be as prepared as possible prior to wading into the machine/mask/DME jungle. Sure appreciate you all sharing so much of your personal struggles, failures and victories. That is what a support group is all about, so kudos to one and all! I'll update my profile once I get all my info. However, from my research thus far (and depending on the test results), I am leaning towards an auto ResMed machine (S9 or A10) and the For Women model if possible, and maybe the ResMed P10 AirFit Nasal Pillow for Her. I've been doing DME research for my current insurance, but since I'm changing over to a Medicare DME July 1, will probably be pursuing their suppliers.

I'll update with more info as it comes in. Healthy breathing to all!DancingDancing

Oh yeah, forgot to add some interesting dynamics to my situation: I live at 8800' alt., totally off-grid (no elec. here anywhere close), utilize a solar system with 12 6v batteries for night-time, and only use a wood stove for heat. Soooo, I've also been doing amperage research to see if I can use a CPAP machine without draining our batteries. Bottomline: I don't know. Even if the amp running draw would only be 2 amps or so, I'll just have to wait and see....Dont-know

RE: New Member and Optimistic - retired_guy - 05-07-2015

Hi Kingskid. Your name wouldn't happen to be "Priscilla" would it? Nah, didn't think so.

I'm a big fan of the Resmed line. However you might be better served with the Respironics PRS1 machines because of your off-grid system. As I understand it, and I'm sure others will come along to amplify, the PRS1 is more user friendly to the 12V systems. They are also very fine machines and should serve you well.

As to the altitude thing, you might have to tweak the pressures a bit. 8800 is a bit high. But that shouldn't be too big a problem.

The P10 for her is a fine idea if you are of the "smaller" persuasion. If not, just a regular P10 might be a better choice. Basically the differences are in the pillow sizes, with the regular coming with a small, medium, and a large, and the "for her" coming with a medium, small, and extra small. I cannot begin to imagine anyone being able to live happily ever after with an extra small pillow size. If I'm not using a large, I don't think I'm getting enough air.

Welcome to our humble if not somewhat boisterous site. Enjoy the journey.

RE: New Member and Optimistic - AlanE - 05-07-2015

Hi kingskid. Good luck with your titration. Keep us posted.

RE: New Member and Optimistic - Crimson Nape - 05-07-2015

Welcome to the forum!

(05-07-2015, 01:43 PM)kingskid Wrote: I woke up gasping for breath about a year ago or so and then got married a few months after that.
Usually it's the other way around. You get married then you wake-up one morning gasping and thinking "What did I get in to?".

(05-07-2015, 01:43 PM)kingskid Wrote: I am leaning towards an auto ResMed machine (S9 or A10) and the For Women model if possible, and maybe the ResMed P10 AirFit Nasal Pillow for Her.

They are both excellent choices.

(05-07-2015, 01:43 PM)kingskid Wrote: Oh yeah, forgot to add some interesting dynamics to my situation: I live at 8800' alt.

I've known some people that were that high and we were at sea level.

(05-07-2015, 01:43 PM)kingskid Wrote: I live . . . totally off-grid (no elec. here anywhere close), utilize a solar system with 12 6v batteries for night-time, and only use a wood stove for heat.

While I stated previously that you had selected excellent products, but due to your power requirements, I suggest looking at the Philips-Respironics comparable models. Resmed CPAPs run at 24 volts and would require a inverter that would eat up even more power. The Philips-Respironics models operate off 12 volts.

Good Luck and keep posting your updates.

RE: New Member and Optimistic - trailrider - 05-07-2015

Welcome Kingskid!

As you can see this place comes with it's own standup comedians too! Worth what we pay them.

RE: New Member and Optimistic - kingskid - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 02:02 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Hi Kingskid. Your name wouldn't happen to be "Priscilla" would it? Nah, didn't think so.

I'm a big fan of the Resmed line. However you might be better served with the Respironics PRS1 machines because of your off-grid system. As I understand it, and I'm sure others will come along to amplify, the PRS1 is more user friendly to the 12V systems. They are also very fine machines and should serve you well.

As to the altitude thing, you might have to tweak the pressures a bit. 8800 is a bit high. But that shouldn't be too big a problem.

The P10 for her is a fine idea if you are of the "smaller" persuasion. If not, just a regular P10 might be a better choice. Basically the differences are in the pillow sizes, with the regular coming with a small, medium, and a large, and the "for her" coming with a medium, small, and extra small. I cannot begin to imagine anyone being able to live happily ever after with an extra small pillow size. If I'm not using a large, I don't think I'm getting enough air.

Welcome to our humble if not somewhat boisterous site. Enjoy the journey.

Hi Retired Guy,

Sorry, it's not Priscilla. There're probably a few of us kingskids around though. Our S/S here is actually a 24v system, so don't know if that'll make a dif with the machines or not. Thanks for the info on the PRS1. I will have to look into it. Yes, I am small, 4'11", and thankfully I did not inherit the large beak prevalent on my maternal side, so will just have to try some pillows on for size to see if the small would work. Thanks for the welcome. I have much to learn and this sure seems like a great place to go to school!

(05-07-2015, 04:39 PM)trailrider Wrote: Welcome Kingskid!

As you can see this place comes with it's own standup comedians too! Worth what we pay them.

Hello Trailrider, I couldn't live without comic relief every day of my life!Laugh-a-lot

RE: New Member and Optimistic - trish6hundred - 05-07-2015

Hi kingskid,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to you as you start your CPAP journey and keep us posted as you go along.

RE: New Member and Optimistic - kingskid - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 02:08 PM)sgearhart Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

(05-07-2015, 01:43 PM)kingskid Wrote: I woke up gasping for breath about a year ago or so and then got married a few months after that.
Usually it's the other way around. You get married then you wake-up one morning gasping and thinking "What did I get in to?".

(05-07-2015, 01:43 PM)kingskid Wrote: I am leaning towards an auto ResMed machine (S9 or A10) and the For Women model if possible, and maybe the ResMed P10 AirFit Nasal Pillow for Her.

They are both excellent choices.

(05-07-2015, 01:43 PM)kingskid Wrote: Oh yeah, forgot to add some interesting dynamics to my situation: I live at 8800' alt.

I've known some people that were that high and we were at sea level.

(05-07-2015, 01:43 PM)kingskid Wrote: I live . . . totally off-grid (no elec. here anywhere close), utilize a solar system with 12 6v batteries for night-time, and only use a wood stove for heat.

While I stated previously that you had selected excellent products, but due to your power requirements, I suggest looking at the Philips-Respironics comparable models. Resmed CPAPs run at 24 volts and would require a inverter that would eat up even more power. The Philips-Respironics models operate off 12 volts.

Good Luck and keep posting your updates.

Hello sgearhart! Yeah, well, I did that too!!! Marriage is certainly not for the faint of heart (do I hear a ton of Amens?) Our S/S is 24v and we do have an inverter, so 110 is no problem. Only thing I am concerned about is how much of a draw a CPAP would be on the batteries at night. Guess I'll be experimenting. We turn off the fridge at night and only have residual current for lights, computers, etc. If I understand correctly, if something is plugged in, it still uses current even if it is not turned on. Standby usage perhaps? Dunno. Thanks for the welcome; I will keep y'all posted. Oh, Colorado is now the true home of the Rocky Mountain High....guess I'll stick with the natural high one gets just being able to live here!Dancing

(05-07-2015, 02:06 PM)AlanE Wrote: Hi kingskid. Good luck with your titration. Keep us posted.

Thanks, AlanE, I will!
(05-07-2015, 05:10 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi kingskid,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to you as you start your CPAP journey and keep us posted as you go along.

Thanks, Trish, I will!

RE: New Member and Optimistic - Crimson Nape - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 05:19 PM)kingskid Wrote: Our S/S is 24v and we do have an inverter, so 110 is no problem. Only thing I am concerned about is how much of a draw a CPAP would be on the batteries at night. Guess I'll be experimenting. We turn off the fridge at night and only have residual current for lights, computers, etc. If I understand correctly, if something is plugged in, it still uses current even if it is not turned on. Standby usage perhaps? Dunno.

Here is a link to battery requirements for Resmed devices. I hope it may help.

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/articles/198103r3_batteryguide_glo_eng.pdf

RE: New Member and Optimistic - AlanE - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 04:39 PM)trailrider Wrote: Welcome Kingskid!

But... I'm sitting down.