Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Pulmonary Fitness Tests - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Pulmonary Fitness Tests (/Thread-Pulmonary-Fitness-Tests)

Pulmonary Fitness Tests - kingskid - 05-09-2015

Hi all. I did a search for this topic but didn't see any threads on it. I'm going to ask my doc to order a PMT because I am such a shallow breather. Since breathing is an autonomic response, I'm thinking that people aren't normally that conscious of their breathing, but I am, or at least have gotten that way over the years. When I lay down at night, I make a concerted effort to breathe from my diaphragm because it feels like I'm not breathing much at all normally. I cannot keep my breathing in sync with my husband's because he breathes faster than I do, so then I try to breathe using my diaphragm. Not on CPAP yet; have to do the titration test on June 4 (or sooner if there's a cancellation). Anyway, other than being told by a previous doc that I have "twitchy" lungs (new med term??), I never had a diagnosis of asthma. However, I do wheeze and have a lot of lung congestion. If anyone has ever had a pulmonary test done, I'd love to hear how it went and if it provided a good assessment for you. Thanks. Rolleyes

RE: Pulmonary Fitness Tests - justMongo - 05-09-2015

"twitchy" lungs -- never heard such a term.
A simple pulmonary test is Spirometry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirometer

RE: Pulmonary Fitness Tests - kingskid - 05-09-2015

(05-09-2015, 09:33 AM)justMongo Wrote: "twitchy" lungs -- never heard such a term.
A simple pulmonary test is Spirometry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirometer

"Twitchy" lungs, I believe, was just the dr's way of using of a euphenism for something he was reluctant to call asthma for one reason or another.

RE: Pulmonary Fitness Tests - retired_guy - 05-09-2015

(05-09-2015, 08:46 AM)kingskid Wrote: Anyway, other than being told by a previous doc that I have "twitchy" lungs (new med term??), I never had a diagnosis of asthma. However, I do wheeze and have a lot of lung congestion. If anyone has ever had a pulmonary test done, I'd love to hear how it went and if it provided a good assessment for you. Thanks. Rolleyes

There are a lot of flavors of COPD. Certainly asthma, but others. The pulmonary tests are what is needed to establish lung function. Also x-rays or cat scans to see what is going on might be needed. But none of that hurts actually, so it's just something to do that needs done.

"Twitchy lung" syndrome is just a fancy term for "darned if I know what's going on" syndrome.

Having COPD isn't necessarily the end of the world. In fact it most likely isn't the end of the world. So don't accept fear (false evidence appearing real) talk. You'll be just fine.

It could be something as simple as the cat you swallowed the other day.

(05-09-2015, 11:26 AM)retired_guy Wrote:
(05-09-2015, 08:46 AM)kingskid Wrote: Anyway, other than being told by a previous doc that I have "twitchy" lungs (new med term??), I never had a diagnosis of asthma. However, I do wheeze and have a lot of lung congestion. If anyone has ever had a pulmonary test done, I'd love to hear how it went and if it provided a good assessment for you. Thanks. Rolleyes

There are a lot of flavors of COPD. Certainly asthma, but others. The pulmonary tests are what is needed to establish lung function. Also x-rays or cat scans to see what is going on might be needed. But none of that hurts actually, so it's just something to do that needs done.

"Twitchy lung" syndrome is just a fancy term for "darned if I know what's going on" syndrome.

Having COPD isn't necessarily the end of the world. In fact it most likely isn't the end of the world. So don't accept fear (false evidence appearing real) talk. You'll be just fine.

It could be something as simple as the cat you swallowed the other day.

Durn cat---never did go for felines much...yep, fear is just another enemy to pound into the ground and pulverize! Will see what a PMT might reveal.

RE: Pulmonary Fitness Tests - storywizard - 05-09-2015

Hi there...

I am about half way through series of lung tests, had spirometry, pulmonary function, then the test for asthma, ( I almost test positive), next up are respiratory muscle tests and a CT scan of my lungs.

I also recently had a wide ranging, expensive test for allergies, not to bad actually...

My breathing has been getting worse over the last 25 years, Had pneumonia when I was 40, never felt the same since. I breath very slowly most of the time, stop a lot, even during the day, last night had one of my bad nights, CA=120, HYP=11, OA=18. Zombie today.

I am hoping the tests will all be negative, but who knows, I have learned a lot about my lungs taking the tests, that I sure need help breathing is the biggest one. When I get the results I will be sure to post then here...

Good luck Kingskid

Storywizard

(05-09-2015, 06:28 PM)storywizard Wrote: Hi there...

I am about half way through series of lung tests, had spirometry, pulmonary function, then the test for asthma, ( I almost test positive), next up are respiratory muscle tests and a CT scan of my lungs.

I also recently had a wide ranging, expensive test for allergies, not to bad actually...

My breathing has been getting worse over the last 25 years, Had pneumonia when I was 40, never felt the same since. I breath very slowly most of the time, stop a lot, even during the day, last night had one of my bad nights, CA=120, HYP=11, OA=18. Zombie today.

I am hoping the tests will all be negative, but who knows, I have learned a lot about my lungs taking the tests, that I sure need help breathing is the biggest one. When I get the results I will be sure to post then here...

Good luck Kingskid

Storywizard

Hello Storywizard,

That's an awesome array of tests! It'll be interesting to hear "the rest of the story..." when you get your results. Good luck to you, too!