Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? (/Thread-My-AHI-doesn-t-match-how-I-feel-any-ideas)

Pages: 1 2 3

My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? - REMfan62 - 05-12-2015

I've only been on CPAP about 3 weeks, and while I generally have more energy, I don't feel nearly as good as I thought I might after my first night on CPAP during the study. Perhaps my machine isn't functioning right in some way. I've read alot about the sleepyhead data, but there is so much, I don't even know where to look first.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Here is some recent data.

RE: My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? - trish6hundred - 05-12-2015

Hi REMfan62,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sometimes it can take a while before you notice improvements, just stick with it.
Hang in there for suggestions and help with your graphs.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? - eseedhouse - 05-12-2015

CPAP is a treatment, not a magic cure. I was on my machine for several months before I began to feel noticeably better. Well, to start with I'm over seventy and likely had untreated apnea for decades, along with type II diabetes. As we get older our bodies heal slower. If CPAP just keeps you from deteriorating further that's a benefit.

So hang in there, don't give up. If after a few months of regular nightly treatment you are not satisfied with your progress have a nice long chat with your doctor about it.

RE: My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? - REMfan62 - 05-12-2015

Thanks so much!

I am hoping someone will do a quick high level interpretation of my data. Of course, I want to take the fastest lane to feeling better.

RE: My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? - trailrider - 05-12-2015

What's the top of the graph? I can't see how many events you are having. The cluster at the beginning could just be you moving around as you are falling asleep. The machine doesn't know when you are awake.

It can take several months for you to feel better. It will happen, but right now your body is loving the oxygen and rest it is getting.

What data graph should I show?

RE: My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? - storywizard - 05-12-2015

(05-12-2015, 09:26 PM)REMfan62 Wrote: What data graph should I show?

try these:

Event Flags
Flow Rate
Pressure
Leak Rate
Snore
Flow Limitation

Storywizard

RE: My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? - trailrider - 05-12-2015

Scroll to the top of the display and show events, pressure and mask pressure. On the left side, scroll it up to show AHI and the coloured lines. Smile

Here is most of the requested data. The pressure is constantly at 14. What else should I show?

RE: My AHI doesn't match how I feel..any ideas? - Sleeprider - 05-12-2015

I think you have enough information in the graphs for a high level analysis. Your pressure is constant at 14 cmH2O with a starting ramp of 5 cm for 20 minutes. You have a number of events during ramp, and I would reduce the time and increase the minimum pressure of ramp to your tolerance. Your leak data looks great, and no issues there.

What machine are you using? Looks like it might be the PRS1 460P. It's hard to make any recommendations from the single data point provided. AHI and RERA incidents look very low, and we don't know how those respond to alternative pressures. If your machine is the 460, it can be put into auto CPAP mode for up to 30 days, and that might be interesting to see how you respond to a range of say 11-16

A quick edit to say on your second graph, the pressure data is missing and the charts are zoomed in on about the first 15 minutes of therapy. You can see the effect of the low ramp pressure here as your respiratory effort looks labored with spikes and irregularity for the first few minutes with some snores and OA thrown in for good measure. This data at the beginning of the night is not very meaningful, but doesn't look comfortable. The data as presented is not very useful since it is just the first 15 minutes, but it does show us the distribution of events through the night. Really nothing remarkable other than you are well-treated by CPAP at 14. There is a break in therapy, and I assume you got up.