Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Philips Nuance replacement Hose - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Philips Nuance replacement Hose (/Thread-Philips-Nuance-replacement-Hose)

Philips Nuance replacement Hose - Cbonilla - 05-20-2015

OK, so I've been using my Nuance mask for about 9 months. Overall pleased with it, despite some issues. Notably the black lining on the head strap quickly deteriorated and got tacky and would pull my hair out on being removed. Fixed that with a little moleskin.

But now I'm having another issue and it may prompt me to look at another vendor with more reasonable prices for replacement parts. The short hose that extends from the mask is tearing at one of the ferules. No problem, I think. I'll just order a new one. Come to find that the hose is only sold with a replacement swivel tube at a a cost of $40. I don't need a swivel tube, I just need a hose and that's an unreasonable price.

Has anyone found a solution to this (for now I'm going with electric tape)? Or a more satisfying experience with other manufacturers that don't feel the need to gouge on replacement parts?

Carlos

RE: Philips Nuance replacement Hose - OpalRose - 05-20-2015

Cbonilla,
If you have insurance, they will replace your mask every 3 to 6 months. If not, you can buy a complete mask for under $100.00 almost anywhere, even Amazon.
After 9 months of use, you should replace it and keep that one as a spare.

RE: Philips Nuance replacement Hose - Cbonilla - 05-21-2015

(05-20-2015, 10:06 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Cbonilla,
If you have insurance, they will replace your mask every 3 to 6 months. If not, you can buy a complete mask for under $100.00 almost anywhere, even Amazon.
After 9 months of use, you should replace it and keep that one as a spare.

I do have insurance, but with a hefty deductible for DME. But we should all be concerned about price gouging. Makes no difference if you're insured or not as it just gets reflected in the price of insurance. It only seems like OPM (Other people's money) when in fact we are all paying for it. More to the point, I'm just offended by this price.

As to replacing it just because it is older, I use my items until they are no longer serviceable, and repair as needed.

Carlos

RE: Philips Nuance replacement Hose - PaulaO2 - 05-21-2015

That back strap of the Nuance has been fixed.

I looked around the 'net and the price is that high (and only a few places sell it) because the swivel is on one end and the frame is on the other. It's not just the hose. Considering that, it's not too high a price.

Your best bet is to get a new mask and keep your current one for parts. Or buy two new ones and keep switching between the two. They'll last much longer.

RE: Philips Nuance replacement Hose - OpalRose - 05-21-2015

Yes, I certainly understand about price gouging, as we are all victims of it.

But at some point, your mask or parts won't be repairable. I'm not one to replace something just because it's old, but a worn out mask and headgear will ultimately affect your therapy.
It's always a good thing to have at least one spare.

RE: Philips Nuance replacement Hose - Cbonilla - 05-21-2015

(05-21-2015, 02:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: That back strap of the Nuance has been fixed.

I looked around the 'net and the price is that high (and only a few places sell it) because the swivel is on one end and the frame is on the other. It's not just the hose. Considering that, it's not too high a price.

Your best bet is to get a new mask and keep your current one for parts. Or buy two new ones and keep switching between the two. They'll last much longer.

Yes but the swivel is not a part of the hose, the hose simply fits onto the swivel. I suspect the reason they only sell the two together is that they think it makes it less objectionable to charge $41 for both rather than just for the hose.

It's still price gouging, in my opinion, to bundle a wear item (the hose) with a non-wear item (the swivel) at an exorbitant price.

Yes I can see the virtue in having a spare, but since I have no assurance that the second unit will last any longer I see that as a losing proposition in the long run. For now a dime's worth of tape has me funcitoning again

Carlos

RE: Philips Nuance replacement Hose - ClarkK - 06-10-2015

As a Nuance Pro user, I've found the hose/swivel have lasted longer than the pro frame, and much longer than the headgear. That being the case, I've found the hose/swivel the least expensive to replace going through eBay -- if you are comfortable buying products there with no insurance involvement.

RE: Philips Nuance replacement Hose - parkerdt - 07-16-2015

$40 seems very expensive for the short tube. You can get an entire new Nuance mask, complete, for $65 online. Your choice of Gel or non-gel. You can also get the short tube with swivel for $14.99 online. Check the Large South America river site,