Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. (/Thread-Is-this-apnea-Consistently-waking-every-90-minutes)

Pages: 1 2

Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - Juicy - 05-23-2015

Hello,

22 year old male, healthy weight.

I've currently got a problem whereby I'm waking from sleep every 90 minutes. If I do manage to sleep past 90 minutes there is a 100% chance that my midnight waking will occur at a multiple of 90 minutes (i.e. sometimes I can sleep for 3 hours then 3 hours).

I recorded my sleep last night and noted that before every period in which I woke up, I started to snore.

I'm pretty desperate for help right now. My blood pressure is up, cholesterol and blood sugars are all out of whack and my hormone levels such as testosterone are down.

Thanks and kind regards.

RE: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - player - 05-23-2015

You need a sleep study. But until then...

Is there someone that could watch you sleep? Do you go pee all the time at night?

You could also video yourself and see if you stop breathing or snore heavily.

RE: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - russatore - 05-23-2015

It does sounds like sleep apnea....just get a sleep study as soon as you can.

RE: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - zonk - 05-23-2015

Not everyone who snore have OSA but most people with OSA snores

Sleep study would rule it out one way or another, anything else is waste of time and money

RE: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - justMongo - 05-23-2015

(05-23-2015, 05:43 AM)Juicy Wrote: Hello,

22 year old male, healthy weight.

I've currently got a problem whereby I'm waking from sleep every 90 minutes. If I do manage to sleep past 90 minutes there is a 100% chance that my midnight waking will occur at a multiple of 90 minutes (i.e. sometimes I can sleep for 3 hours then 3 hours).

I recorded my sleep last night and noted that before every period in which I woke up, I started to snore.

I'm pretty desperate for help right now. My blood pressure is up, cholesterol and blood sugars are all out of whack and my hormone levels such as testosterone are down.

Thanks and kind regards.

90 minutes is the median sleep cycle time. You are likely waking from REM sleep. You have a lot of issues mentioned. They may be secondary to apnea; or your waking may be secondary to other issues.
It's time to see your doctor and have the full M.O.T.

Why are the BP up and the sugars off in a 22 year old with normal weight? Get thee to a doctor.

RE: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - trish6hundred - 05-23-2015

Hi Juicy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Talk to your Dr. about these problems you are having.
Much success to you in getting your problems sorted out.

RE: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - krelvin - 05-23-2015

During the week, I consistently do a two sleep where I sleep for 1.5 or 3 hours, wake up for a while and then get the rest of the nights sleep of 3 to 4.5 hours. Note they are all around 90 mins sleep cycles. On Friday, Sat and Sunday, this is less normal for me as I have less distractions those nights.

When this happens I am extremely sharp minded, awake and it is quiet in the house, makes for a good time to work on complicated coding. It is a very creative time for me.

I have two slept for years and in fact 200 years ago, it was quite common for people to sleep like that all the time. Many articles about it, one is: http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

If you live in a cave with no reference to time, you will end up in this type of sleep pattern as well.

Stopping it, you have to find what it is that is waking you up when you reach the end of your cycle. Could be you are too cold, hot, there is noise in the room, your dream woke you up, stress etc...

RE: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - alicamolik - 05-28-2015

my mother was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 12 years ago, she was in her late 30s at the time, and has been on a nighttime breathing machine ever since. is this considered an early detection of sleep apnea, and if so, has her being on the sleeping machine reduced her risk of cognitive function loss?

RE: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - trailrider - 05-28-2015

If your mother is only in her late 40's/early 50's, she should not be showing any cognitive loss! Being sleep deprived from apnea, does cause us to feel like being in a fog. Being on the machines clears that up.

Any other types of changes to mental functioning and cognition should be discussed with her primary care doctor. The PAP machines are not a magical shield against other degenerative diseases.

Being on a sleep machine at any age is not an "early" detection of apnea. It is apnea, that is being treated. Much like taking insulin is not an early detection of diabetes. The condition exists, has been recognized, and is (hopefully) being treated.

RE: Is this apnea? - Consistently waking every 90 minutes. - quiescence at last - 05-28-2015

True, it is not a magic shield. Ironically, though, the apnea does interrelate with other imbalance issues, and has proven to aid in treatment in acute heart conditions and smacks of being helpful in slowing altzheimer's progression.

QAL