Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9 (/Thread-CPAP-eph-before-cpap-was-29-9-cpap-says-eph-0-9)

eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9 - sleepybeaver - 05-25-2015

When I had my sleep study done I was told I stoped breathing an a average of 29.9 times per hr. And my oxygen level went from 98% to 63%. With the cpap it's reporting eph of 1.5 to 0.9. Is this normal. Why would it go from 29.2 eph without a cpap to 1.5 eph with a cpap. I don't understand.

RE: eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9 - DeepBreathing - 05-25-2015

Hi Sleepybeaver, welcome to Apnea Board. The fact that your events have dropped from 29 to around 1 is proof that the CPAP is working for you. Its whole purpose is to provide air pressure which supports your airway and prevents apneas happening.

There are two basic types of events - apneas, when your breathing is fully obstructed for 10 seconds or more, and hypopneas, when the airflow is substantially reduced. The average number of apneas per hour is the apnea index (AI) and the average number of hypopneas is the hypopnea index (HI). Adding the two together gives the apnea - hypopnea index (AHI) which is the main measure that's used. The target is to get AHI below 5, so your numbers are already looking very good.

RE: eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9 - trish6hundred - 05-25-2015

Hi sleepybeaver,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9 - sleepybeaver - 05-25-2015

(05-25-2015, 07:59 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Sleepybeaver, welcome to Apnea Board. The fact that your events have dropped from 29 to around 1 is proof that the CPAP is working for you. Its whole purpose is to provide air pressure which supports your airway and prevents apneas happening.

There are two basic types of events - apneas, when your breathing is fully obstructed for 10 seconds or more, and hypopneas, when the airflow is substantially reduced. The average number of apneas per hour is the apnea index (AI) and the average number of hypopneas is the hypopnea index (HI). Adding the two together gives the apnea - hypopnea index (AHI) which is the main measure that's used. The target is to get AHI below 5, so your numbers are already looking very good.
Thanks deepbreathing.....I have only been using the cpap for about a week. I'm already feeling less clouded and woke up this morning and asked my wife if she wanted to go on a bike ride. We went 11 miles and I feel like I have more engery...but I still wake up and yawn fir a little while in the morning. Is that normal. Thanks

RE: eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9 - Terry - 05-25-2015

(05-25-2015, 10:05 AM)sleepybeaver Wrote: Thanks deepbreathing.....I have only been using the cpap for about a week. I'm already feeling less clouded and woke up this morning and asked my wife if she wanted to go on a bike ride. We went 11 miles and I feel like I have more engery...but I still wake up and yawn fir a little while in the morning. Is that normal. Thanks

After you've had the machine for a while, you can check the "90%" or "95%" pressure (some machines report one or the other) and set your minimum pressure a little below that.

When the machine has to ramp up from it's current minimum setting of 4, to whatever it takes to keep you breathing, the change in pressure will sometimes disturb your sleep.

If you raise the minimum to a little less than where it tends to go every night, it has less of a range to cover and should disturb your sleep less and you'll feel better in the morning.

RE: eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9 - quiescence at last - 05-25-2015

sure. it is normal to yawn a bit, and it is also normal to feel sleepy when you are tired. a new normal sets in after being in treatment for a while. but, some left overs from the old normal may occur initially. it is hard to say that the yawn is part of new normal or just a left over.

your results are great, and recovery sounds like it is already beginning. congrats.

BTW, you might find you will start to crave sleep, not because you are so tired, but because sleep is so nice.

QAL

RE: eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9 - sleepybeaver - 05-25-2015

Thany you for all the responses...I've had a few issues since getting it...first i woke with the pressure staying at 10 without any dropping..so I turned it off then back on and it worked as it should varying between 4 and 10...next problem was the humidifier...woke up stuffy...not dry but too wet...i tried everything and finally got it where it's manageable. ..not perfect but I'm living with it....then the dark vader inspiration noise...I complaned to apera and the Respiratory therapists said she would order me a resmed s9 autoset as this was the one sent home with me for the 3 day titration study. I told her I had no problems with that machine. What does everyone think of that. Anyone else have similar problems with the airsense 10 autoset.Thanks Jim