Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Newbie CPAP Queries - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Newbie CPAP Queries (/Thread-Newbie-CPAP-Queries)

Newbie CPAP Queries - Wozzlegummich - 05-27-2015

After going through the whole sleep study x 2 and visits to the sleep doctor I am into the third night of my trials. They rated my AHI at 49 and my script says my machine's pressure should be set at 13.

I'm trialing a RESMED 10 AUTO from the local pharmacy (which has a whole section including a technician devoted to sleep disorders/apnea) with a full face mask. I have to go back every week for him to "check me & the machine out". I guess that means interpret the SD card data.

Couple of questions.
  1. Why are CPAP machines twice as expensive in Australia? Yes, DOUBLE!
  2. Do the special "CPAP pillows" really help keep a seal?

Thanks for this great site. I've already learnt heaps just clicking around here.

RE: Newbie CPAP Queries - zonk - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 10:05 PM)Wozzlegummich Wrote: Couple of questions.

Thanks for this great site. I've already learnt heaps just clicking around here.

1- The reason being, US such huge market account to half of the sales globally and in Australia they can charge as much as they like
Simple as that

I get all my stuff from US with the exception of air filters, I've been ripped off once but no more .... once bitten, twice shy

2- I've have not used any special pillows, good mask/fit is one way to a good mask seal

Welcome

RE: Newbie CPAP Queries - Wozzlegummich - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 10:27 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-27-2015, 10:05 PM)Wozzlegummich Wrote: Couple of questions.

1- The reason being, US such huge market account to half of the sales globally and in Australia they can charge as much as they like
Simple as that

I get all my stuff from US with the exception of air filters, I've been ripped off once but no more .... once bitten, twice shy

2- I've have not used any special pillows, good mask/fit is one way to a good mask seal

Welcome
Thanks. This is much as I suspected - I can save at least $1K getting my machine from the U.S.

RE: Newbie CPAP Queries - trish6hundred - 05-28-2015

Hi Wozzlegummich,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I use a pillow filled with buckwheat hulls and like it very much, some say they are noisy but I don't find that to be the case and I find that it holds it's shape nicely. Of course, YMMV on this.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.