Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Mask Cushion (?) Sizes/Shapes - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Mask Cushion (?) Sizes/Shapes (/Thread-Equipment-Mask-Cushion-Sizes-Shapes)

Mask Cushion (?) Sizes/Shapes - Ross - 06-12-2015

I have 2 nasal masks (see profile). The Mirage came with my CPAP and I then got the AirFit because I thought the magnetic strap attachments might be more comfortable. Leaks with both masks have always been in the acceptable range, but after 3 nights of increasing leaks with the AirFit (10, 13 and 16L/min), I went back to the Mirage and the results were much better (1 and 4 L/min). Although I realize that various factors could account for this, I notice that shapes of the mask cushions (?) differ—the Mirage is more slender (and it certainly feels more snug).

It certainly stands to reason that there would be different sizes/shapes of nasal cushions, but is there a way to determine the size/shape of the one I prefer? Could I get one of that size/shape that would fit the AirFit? It doesn’t look like I could just switch them.

I’ve gotten a great deal of help and information from this site, and I’ve just made a donation!
John[/size]

RE: Mask Cushion (?) Sizes/Shapes - PaulaO2 - 06-12-2015

Not exactly sure what you are asking. If you are asking if your face needs, say, a size 9 mask size and then you can wear a size 9 mask from any maker and it fit the same, the answer is no. Each mask is different even within the same type.

But it could be you could go a size down in the Airfit to get that snugness you like in the Mirage.

RE: Mask Cushion (?) Sizes/Shapes - Crimson Nape - 06-13-2015

(06-12-2015, 04:45 PM)Ross Wrote: I have 2 nasal masks (see profile). The Mirage came with my CPAP and I then got the AirFit because I thought the magnetic strap attachments might be more comfortable. Leaks with both masks have always been in the acceptable range, but after 3 nights of increasing leaks with the AirFit (10, 13 and 16L/min), I went back to the Mirage and the results were much better (1 and 4 L/min). Although I realize that various factors could account for this, I notice that shapes of the mask cushions (?) differ—the Mirage is more slender (and it certainly feels more snug).

It certainly stands to reason that there would be different sizes/shapes of nasal cushions, but is there a way to determine the size/shape of the one I prefer? Could I get one of that size/shape that would fit the AirFit? It doesn’t look like I could just switch them.

I’ve gotten a great deal of help and information from this site, and I’ve just made a donation!
John[/size]

When I see an increase in leaks, I've found that washing the mask will eliminate the problem. The worst thing that can happen is this trick won't work for you.

RE: Mask Cushion (?) Sizes/Shapes - Ross - 06-15-2015

I got an e-mail from ResMed today on "finding the right mask fit" that addressed my (apparently puzzling) question.Smile It included templates for determining proper "cushion" size. Clearly, the one I prefer is standard and the other is wide. Since switching to the standard I have minimal leaks. I assume other manufacturers have their own guides, I wonder why no sizing was done by the DME.

FWIW here's an excerpt:
Q. Where can I find mask fitting guidelines?

A. ResMed is happy to offer fitting templates for many of our masks. Click your mask below to open a PDF file of the fitting template.

Please note the following when using these templates:

Read the directions on the template carefully before cutting and using them.
The fitting template for the Ultra Mirage™ full face mask is three-dimensional and not available online. Please contact ResMed Customer Service (800-424-0737) to request a fitting template.
Mask fitting templates should be used to aid in the fitting of masks. The use of these templates is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional, sleep technician or equipment supplier.
Altering the size or dimensions of the original PDFs in any way may compromise the quality and accuracy of these template printouts. To avoid this problem, ensure you are printing at the actual size by turning off all page scaling in your printer settings. You may also refer to the ruler within the printout to ensure the printout is the accurate size.
ResMed nasal mask fitting templates:

AirFit N10/Swift FX Nano (90kb)
Mirage Activa/Ultra Mirage II (45kb)
Mirage FX (988kb)
Mirage Micro/Mirage Activa LT (41kb)
Mirage Vista (139kb)
ResMed full face mask fitting templates:

AirFit F10/Quattro Air (60kb)
Mirage Liberty (100kb)
Mirage Quattro (170kb)