Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Canadians do you buy - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Canadians do you buy (/Thread-Canadians-do-you-buy)

Pages: 1 2

Canadians do you buy - kally - 06-13-2015

any of the gear online? I was going to buy the machine locally (or a ferry ride away) but all the other bits and pieces - can we get them online somewhere?

RE: Canadians do you buy - Mosquitobait - 06-13-2015

I'm not canadian, but if you look at the various suppliers, many of them ship to Canada.

RE: Canadians do you buy - Riven - 06-13-2015

(06-13-2015, 02:52 PM)kally Wrote: any of the gear online? I was going to buy the machine locally (or a ferry ride away) but all the other bits and pieces - can we get them online somewhere?

There are on-line sites in Canada that provide similar pricing to the US without the hassle of border issues and customs.. Do some searches with CPAP and Canada and you should find them. If you would like to know the ones I know of, send me a PM.

RE: Canadians do you buy - zonk - 06-13-2015

Here in Australia, everything is pricey
I've bought stuff from suppliers #10 and #2 without any problems
Both ship to Australia, Canada, and some other locations

RE: Canadians do you buy - SgtWilko - 06-16-2015

(06-13-2015, 02:52 PM)kally Wrote: any of the gear online? I was going to buy the machine locally (or a ferry ride away) but all the other bits and pieces - can we get them online somewhere?

Kally,
Just sent you a PM with my goto canadian CPAP web stores.
Sgt Wilko

RE: Canadians do you buy - player - 06-16-2015

You can get a few things close the the USA pricing in Canada, but generally you will save big time shopping in the USA, even after the poor exchange rate. The thing to watch for is if they ship using couriers instead of the post office. When they ship with couriers you get dinged "brokerage fees". If they send by mail, usually there are no brokerage fees, but if there are it's maximum is $5.

I signed up with [link removed]Google "ReShip" - Moderator for a one time charge of $5 USD. This gives me an American street address. I get my purchases shipped to my USA Reship address (usually free from supplier to Reship). Then Reship charges me $5 plus the shipping costs of my choice (mail) to forward it along to me.

If you use ground mail, lots of times there is no HST charged, but if it goes air they almost always charge it.

Another thing- any method for payment dings you for an additional 3% just to exchange from Canadian to US dollars. (Visa, PayPal etc.)

My first order cost me all in around $275 CAD, but had I bought in Canada it would have been over $700.

I use this site to check the exchange rates: [link removed] (Google "Xe exchange" - Moderator)

I have laid it all out here. It is not very difficult, and will save you a ton of cash.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

RE: Canadians do you buy - Riven - 06-17-2015

(06-16-2015, 10:07 PM)player Wrote: You can get a few things close to the USA pricing in Canada, but generally you will save big time shopping in the USA, even after the poor exchange rate..

Machines may be a better deal in the US if you live in a province that doesn't provide a government grant. In Ontario, there is no advantage to buying a machine in the US if you qualify for the ADP(Assisted Devices Program) as they pickup 75% of a controlled price. That price is $860CD for a CPAP and $1020CD for an APAP including humidifier, case, tube, help setting up the unit, instructions in using it and follow up assistance.

My experience is that most supplies (mask, hose, water tub, filter) are approximately the same price in the US and Canada - if you buy from an on-line dealer in Canada. The key word here is "on-line" and I have taken the exchange rate and shipping into consideration. Prices will be twice as high at your local full service DME - just like they are in the states.

I acknowledge that from time to time there are better deals in the states especially if you can catch a sale, but see no "big-time" savings for supplies with the current exchange rate.

RE: Canadians do you buy - PaulaO2 - 06-17-2015

If you are paying out of pocket for a machine and don't mind going used, consider Supplier #2.

RE: Canadians do you buy - player - 06-18-2015

(06-17-2015, 11:33 AM)Riven Wrote:
(06-16-2015, 10:07 PM)player Wrote: You can get a few things close to the USA pricing in Canada, but generally you will save big time shopping in the USA, even after the poor exchange rate..

Machines may be a better deal in the US if you live in a province that doesn't provide a government grant. In Ontario, there is no advantage to buying a machine in the US if you qualify for the ADP(Assisted Devices Program) as they pickup 75% of a controlled price. That price is $860CD for a CPAP and $1020CD for an APAP including humidifier, case, tube, help setting up the unit, instructions in using it and follow up assistance.

My experience is that most supplies (mask, hose, water tub, filter) are approximately the same price in the US and Canada - if you buy from an on-line dealer in Canada. The key word here is "on-line" and I have taken the exchange rate and shipping into consideration. Prices will be twice as high at your local full service DME - just like they are in the states.

I acknowledge that from time to time there are better deals in the states especially if you can catch a sale, but see no "big-time" savings for supplies with the current exchange rate.

My experience is it is much cheaper to buy masks in the USA. I am definitely comparing online to online.

RE: Canadians do you buy - Riven - 06-18-2015

Player:

By now Kally should be very confused. Since my objective was to help her and not get into a debate with you, I will repeat my position on this issue since it may be of benefit to other Canadians who are looking for the best deal on supplies.

I acknowledge that better deals can be found in the US for some items if you search hard enough, but that most of the popular CPAP supply items are available from on-line dealers in Canada for approximately the same price after you consider exchange rates and cross border shipping issues. I reject your statement that Canadians can save "big time" by buying in the US. Of course I wouldn't have said that three years ago when the Canadian dollar was worth 20% more than the US dollar. Now we are looking at almost a 25% premium to buy an American dollar.

I have informed you of my Canadian supplier by PM. I don't know who you used for your comparison or what items you purchased so I am at a disadvantage here. However, let's look at what you "may" have purchased. I see from your profile you use a "Pillarno" nasal pillows mask. I assume you meant Pilairo. Using some of the suppliers from the list above I found prices at about $79US. That same mask is available from the Canadian Supplier I use for $89CAD. After the application of the exchange rate the Canadian supplier is almost $10CAD cheaper and this is before shipping and border issues are added!

Also I have a ResMed P10 and N10 which are available from the Canadian supplier I used for $99CAD each. Most of the US suppliers from the list above sell the same masks for 99US. Again the Canadian supplier is cheaper. Another example, last year I purchased a ResMed Mirage FX for $126CAD. The price from most US suppliers was $109US. Again the Canadian supplier is cheaper after the exchange conversion.

So if nothing else, let's agree to disagree. We have both provided Kally and others with some information to work with. They should be able to arrive at their own conclusions once they have done a good search of the internet and understand the issues related to cross border shopping/shipping/customs.