Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage (/Thread-flexeril-and-or-ativan-with-cpap-usage)

flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage - sleepybeaver - 06-15-2015

I have researched as much as I can about this subject, some things I've read said it's ok other stuff I've read said not to use. It can make things worse. Is anyone using any of these meds to help with cpap therapy. Or any other meds to help.

RE: flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage - eseedhouse - 06-15-2015

(06-15-2015, 09:28 PM)sleepybeaver Wrote: I have researched as much as I can about this subject, some things I've read said it's ok other stuff I've read said not to use. It can make things worse. Is anyone using any of these meds to help with cpap therapy. Or any other meds to help.

I use a benzodiazepe at night, Xanax is similer to Ativan. My apnea is under good control on the CPAP and supplemental oxygen and the extra ease in getting to sleep is, I feel, worth it.

These medications are, however, not without risk. For people with untreated sleep apnea they can be extremely harmful.

Please don't use huge fonts. Anyone with a modern browser can enlarge the print face easily. I do that already and the result is that your messages are so large that I have to reduce them and that's an extra annoyance.

If you find the fonts on this site too small to read easily (I do) just hold down your Contrl key and hit the plus (+) key until you can see them easily.

RE: flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage - sleepybeaver - 06-15-2015

(06-15-2015, 09:45 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 09:28 PM)sleepybeaver Wrote: I have researched as much as I can about this subject, some things I've read said it's ok other stuff I've read said not to use. It can make things worse. Is anyone using any of these meds to help with cpap therapy. Or any other meds to help.

I use a benzodiazepe at night, Xanax is similer to Ativan. My apnea is under good control on the CPAP and supplemental oxygen and the extra ease in getting to sleep is, I feel, worth it.

These medications are, however, not without risk. For people with untreated sleep apnea they can be extremely harmful.

Please don't use huge fonts. Anyone with a modern browser can enlarge the print face easily. I do that already and the result is that your messages are so large that I have to reduce them and that's an extra annoyance.

If you find the fonts on this site too small to read easily (I do) just hold down your Contrl key and hit the plus (+) key until you can see them easily.
Sorry for the large fonts....thanks for the input on my question...I'm taking both meds tonight and see how it goes...I've been having a hard time falling asleep. ..it's like I'm excited to get to sleep...which is not working. I'm thinking about it too much. So mabe drugs will help.

RE: flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage - PaulaO2 - 06-16-2015

Did a dr prescribe these or are you just taking them on your own?

RE: flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage - sleepybeaver - 06-16-2015

(06-16-2015, 10:59 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Did a dr prescribe these or are you just taking them on your own?
They are prescribed

RE: flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage - Ailu - 06-16-2015

I am SO GLAD you wrote about this! My Dr. prescribed Ativan to help deal with a side-effect I was having from another medication that I cannot live without. Well after reading your post last night, I googled Ativan & sleep apnea and did NOT like what I found!

Ativan has a proven track record of worsening sleep apnea, esp centrals! After learning this, last night I skipped my nightly dose of Ativan, and my sleep apnea was a whole lot better. Still had problems - but nothing like it's been the past few weeks! Quite irritating that neither my primary Doc nor the sleep center even bothered to mention this.
Oh-jeez

I also googled another medication I was just prescribed for neural pain, and it actually has been used off-label to help treat sleep apnea. Go figure! Confused

RE: flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage - PaulaO2 - 06-16-2015

There are better medications to help with going to sleep. Ambien is one. I have not noticed a significant difference in AHI on the nights I take it. But I sleep which is better than little sleep that has better AHI. It evens out.

RE: flexeril and or ativan with cpap usage - Ailu - 06-16-2015

(06-16-2015, 11:35 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There are better medications to help with going to sleep. Ambien is one. I have not noticed a significant difference in AHI on the nights I take it. But I sleep which is better than little sleep that has better AHI. It evens out.

Thanks, but the Ativan was not prescribed for sleep, it was for nervousness caused by a side-effect of a medication I need to take. I try not to take it during the day unless I really start shaking a lot. But at night it's very hard to wind down, so that's why I take it at night.