Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Distilled water question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Distilled water question (/Thread-Distilled-water-question)

Pages: 1 2

Distilled water question - big_dave - 05-11-2012

I have a humidifier but I haven't seen the need to use it yet. It's my understanding that the humidifier can be helpful if you catch a cold, and I would like to be prepared. If I buy a bottle of distilled water and store it, do I need to be concerned about chemicals from the plastic leaching into the water? (Does this happen, and if it does, are the plastic molecules harmful?) Shopping is the last thing I want to do if I feel sick.

RE: Distilled water question - Sandalbar - 05-11-2012

Dave,
I use a humidifier every day (or actually "night") and I don't see why you would have the problem of leaching chemicals unless you were storing your diet water for a couple of centuries or so.

Curtiss

RE: Distilled water question - PaulaO2 - 05-11-2012

Emergency preparedness stuff says to change out the water (stored for emergency) every 6mos. Not that the plastic leaches but more that it gets "stale" after that time. And if the bottles were not sterile prior to being used, the water can get nasty.

RE: Distilled water question - zonk - 05-11-2012

(05-11-2012, 03:03 PM)big_dave Wrote: I have a humidifier but I haven't seen the need to use it yet.
Humidification adds moisture to the air breathed and helps the nasal passages cope with the increased flow of air.
Out host doesn't use humidifier but for most the added humidification will make CPAP therapy more comfortable as the air is fully moisturized.

RE: Distilled water question - JudgeMental - 05-11-2012

Distilled water has an expiration date (shelf life) of usually about (1)one year. I feel sure thats just to cover any liability issues. Once opened, I would use the water as necessary and not re-store it for a long period.

Humidified air can keep the nasal passages open and comfortable all the time not just when colds or other nasal issues arise. Some people get very dried nasal passages when the humidifier is not used, depending on the geological area that they live in. Winter weather usually requires most people to add some heated humidication.

RE: Distilled water question - big_dave - 05-11-2012

I haven't had any issues with comfort caused by non-humidified air, which is why I haven't tried the humidifier yet. I'm anticipating that this might change in the fall when I have to turn the heater on, since the heater dries out the air.

Here's how I understand it: I can get a bottle of distilled water for future use, but if I catch a cold while the weather's warm, I'll need to discard the remaining water when I recover, and get another bottle for next time?

RE: Distilled water question - PaulaO2 - 05-11-2012

Or, since you only will use it on occasion, you can use tap water. It's all I use and my humidifier is on or at least contains water every night.

Or you can get smaller bottles of water. Any unflavored ye ol' generic will do. It does not have to be distilled.

Over time, tap water will cause a white layer of minerals but it cannot harm you. The only advantage to distilled is it is mineral free.

What kind of water to use is a hot topic and very debated.

RE: Distilled water question - JudgeMental - 05-11-2012

I don;t understand your pre-planning cold issues. Maybe you won;t catch a cold in the near future or just maybe you'll have two or more colds. Why discard the water after you recover from a cold? You might get another cold the following week or month.
You arn't going to infect the water any, if you have a cold. The only precaution I would do is to daily clean my mask if I have a cold.

RE: Distilled water question - big_dave - 05-11-2012

(05-11-2012, 08:20 PM)JudgeMental Wrote: I don;t understand your pre-planning cold issues.

I'm single and I live alone. If I need anything while I'm sick, I'm stuck going out and getting it myself.

RE: Distilled water question - Ulrika - 05-11-2012

I was told you can use boiled tap water that is cooled down but I use our filtered water so it doesn't have the chlorine etc. in it.