Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? (/Thread-Turning-your-CPAP-off-at-night-Why-is-this-important)

Pages: 1 2

Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - Ailu - 06-20-2015

While reading this forum, I keep running into advice where posters ask the OP if they've shut their machine off at night when getting up to potty or whatnot.

I'll be getting my CPAP soon, and I just want to understand.... why?

Why shut the machine off? Is there a way to just "pause" it? If so, what are the advantages of turning it completely off?

RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - Sleeprider - 06-20-2015

If you leave the CPAP running when you leave, it records the time as a large leak. If you're tracking your data, it just distorts the results. It's also noisy and irritating as compared to simply pushing a large button. Why would you leave it running?

RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - masbirdies - 06-20-2015

(06-20-2015, 09:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you leave the CPAP running when you leave, it records the time as a large leak. If you're tracking your data, it just distorts the results. It's also noisy and irritating as compared to simply pushing a large button. Why would you leave it running?

What if the machine has a auto start feature. I was told to just disconnect and reconnect without pushing the button.

RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - Rellyrooly - 06-20-2015

I was told to just disconnect my facial tubing from main tube and leave machine running as well. I'm using apap so maybe that's why?

RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - DariaVader - 06-20-2015

(06-20-2015, 09:24 AM)masbirdies Wrote: What if the machine has a auto start feature. I was told to just disconnect and reconnect without pushing the button.

(06-20-2015, 09:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you leave the CPAP running when you leave, it records the time as a large leak. If you're tracking your data, it just distorts the results. It's also noisy and irritating as compared to simply pushing a large button. Why would you leave it running?

For the reason you quoted Smile

RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - AlanE - 06-20-2015

(06-20-2015, 09:24 AM)masbirdies Wrote: What if the machine has a auto start feature. I was told to just disconnect and reconnect without pushing the button.

With that enabled, the machine will shut off after a few seconds when you disconnect.

Having the blower running at full speed, although not harmful in such a short time, adds to the wear of the motor and accumulates device "run hours".

RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - Sleeprider - 06-20-2015

The auto-stop and start feature has drawbacks for some people and is not consistent between different machines. The PRS1 machines take about a minute to shut down, and I have heard of machines shutting down when unintended. I do use the auto-start. I guess I don't get where it's easier to disconnect the hose as compared to turning off the machine and removing the mask. I'm not exactly a poster-boy for fashion, but running around with a mask and hose dangling off my face would scare me half to death at night. Gawd knows if anyone else were to see it. I guess there are masks that actually require effort to put on, mine isn't one of them.

RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - Mark Douglas - 06-20-2015

The Wisp has an extremely easy to use disconnect at the mask/elbow connection and so no hose dangle LOL
Unfortunately I will be forced to use a FFM if I ever find one that fits me. Grannie's Shawnee cheek bones are causing me a problem....
I guess I am a Luddite in old age. No ramp no auto star or stop. Just push de button

RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - Mosquitobait - 06-20-2015

On the various masks I tried, autostart always worked, but Auto Stop was hit or miss. So I got into the habit of just pressing the off button when I got up. If the mask consistently shuts off when you remove it, then you don't have to hit shutoff.

On my failed used s9, the autostart worked very well. I finally figured out that my cat was stepping on the button, shutting the machine down, and then it would restart as I breathed. I was going to post the chart to get help figuring out these weird stops when I realized that she knocked this Bloclight off every night and to reach it, she had to step on the machine! Oh-jeez The Bloclight is now Velcroed to the nightstand and the new machine will have the buttons angled, so at least that won't happen anymore.

RE: Turning your CPAP off at night. Why is this important? - parkerdt - 06-20-2015

If you turn the machine off with the simple button push, it's not really off, just in stand-by. During a potty break you can also wipe the oils off your face, blow your nose, get a sip of water etc. All that is easier with the mask off. Even use a tissue or CPAP wipe and clean the nose drippings off your mask. With a Pilairo, of course, it's going to deflate, and the best way to re-inflate it is to start your machine. Pilairos and auto start don't get along well for this reason. So, just hit the button, let it inflate, and refit. All set for another few hours! Once you practice a bit, it takes only a few seconds and becomes second nature.

Dave