Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP therapy doesn't seem to be working
RE: CPAP therapy doesn't seem to be working
Michael4786,
Glad you got that straightened out, but I would be ticked if I were you!
The physician's mistake is unacceptable. Dodgy
I wouldn't be able to trust him.

Good luck with your therapy!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2015, 12:49 PM)Michael4786 Wrote: Thanks all for your responses. It turned out my doctor had prescribed the wrong machine. I needed a BiPap machine with a "kick."

So what is this new machine? What do you think he means by "kick"?
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2015, 05:25 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 12:49 PM)Michael4786 Wrote: Thanks all for your responses. It turned out my doctor had prescribed the wrong machine. I needed a BiPap machine with a "kick." This actually went along with my titration study. The error has really concerned me and I've asked to change doctors. (I only saw him once anyway after my sleep studies, which were ordered by my PCP.) For two nights in a row, my api has been under 5. With the wrong machine, I was getting numerous central apneas, something I did not have at all in my initial studies, so they were CPAP induced. Feeling better.

(07-04-2015, 01:10 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: So it was indeed the wrong type of machine!

Bet that substantially eased your mind!

Great!

Congrats and cheers,

Ted,

Does this help to understand why many of us do not automatically agree with what some sleep doctors do and the same goes for sleep labs. We have seen, through others on this forum, some stuff that appears pretty dodgey and is often proven to be downright wrong. If all labs followed the guidelines for sleep testing that you refer, to the world would be a better place. It has become obvious that some do not. That is part of why all of us are in this together.

We tend, at times, to tar all doctors and labs with the same brush. It is generally through major frustration. Actually, to my mind, this whole system would work better if the DMEs became more assertive in helping the patients instead of their being so aggressive in helping their bottom line. if the DMEs were to become the patient's advocate instead of just another profit center, it would be very helpful. I know that i am making a gross generalization here. There are DMEs that do act as I have described but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Rant off

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Human error. Doctors certainly do make errors, but I don't go around in a near-paranoid state of mind, though this therapy certainly merits patient involvement to be effective. Apparently it was not the lab that erred. What can I say but these things do happen. Under the circumstances I'd want to change doctors, too.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,061 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 156 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,343 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 93 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.