Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Nuts and Bolts of Scoring Apneas and Hypopneas
The Nuts and Bolts of Scoring Apneas and Hypopneas
search post title for what seems to me to be really good info
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: The Nuts and Bolts of Scoring Apneas and Hypopneas
Extreeeemly interesting. Sounds like in some ways the polysomnography equipment is not totally perfect either. I have not finished reading all of it yet but as reported many of the recorded data are from indirect measurements.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Good article. Makes me wonder just how accurate these little machines really are if they lack crucial components such as EEG and oximetry.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I had that discussion the other day with an advisor at the LL, and she said that if you ask the manufacturers, very accurate, if ask doctors, not at all accurate. I often spot check my results against a pulse-ox recording to see how they line up, usually pretty well, actually, but I doubt that the scoring is 100% accurate. Accurate enough to provide therapeutic value, though, which is all that counts for most of us.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great article, very informative and mind opening...however....

the article is from 2001... has the technology/methodology changed in that time?? Personally I will be investigating this as I have had such mixed results from titration/sleep studies and from the data from our little machines.

for instance: http://www.sleeptechtutor.com/documents/..._rules.pdf

and this was very interesting to me...:-): http://blog.aastweb.org/scoring-obstruct...e-criteria

One thing that has changed for me in the last two months is that I no longer rely solely on data and its interpretation for how I conduct my therapy. Now I actually monitor how I feel each day, during different times of the day, my sleep hygiene and quality of sleep. The data is great as a reflection, but it is, for me, an abstraction of reality. The best way I can benefit myself is to be more aware of how I feel and what I can do to improve...

Just a small part of my CPAP journey...

Sleep-well

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 234 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,623 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 172 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.