Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is the Fisher & Paykel Icon Auto an APAP Machine?
Is the Fisher & Paykel Icon Auto an APAP Machine?
Hi I just had one quick question, is the Fisher & Paykel Icon Auto model an APAP model?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is the Fisher & Paykel Icon Auto an APAP Machine?
(07-10-2015, 04:29 PM)callum25 Wrote: Hi I just had one quick question, is the Fisher & Paykel Icon Auto model an APAP model?

Yes, Icon + is the latter model
https://www.fphcare.com.au/sleep-apnea/c.../f-p-icon/

Personally, I would avoid the Icon and pick one from the list below, because the Icon does not have EPR and don't detect central apnea. I prefer ResMed for the simple reason, the LCD sleep report is quite detailed and report unintentional leak ... YMMV
1- ResMed S9 AutoSet
3- ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
3- PR System One Auto model number 560 (561 Australia and Canada)
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that the ResMed machines are pretty good. I have the S9 autoset and I am pretty happy with it.

But since callum25 indicates "Male", on the specs, I would recommend the regular Airsense 10, and not the "for her" model. I also recommend that over the S9, because the S9 does not really consider arousals directly in its data. It treats them by treating apnea, but the Respironics models and the ResMed Airsense 10 are more equipped to handle that data directly. If your xPAP is treating your events but you still have some arousals, it is probably a good thing to be able to see that data directly. In my case, I don't seem to have any arousals, so the S9 is fine for someone like me.

If you have pretty good treatment and a low treated AHI, that is great. But some folks still have arousals even with good xPAP treatment, so anyone starting out or having knowledge that arousals are an issue for them should probably avoid ResMed models older than the Airsense 10.

And usually the term "auto" implies an APAP, or a CPAP that can adjust pressure automatically within a set range, which is much more effective therapy for most OSA sufferers than the fixed pressure of straight CPAP. But if I were shopping, that is something I would want to verify definitively.
Post Reply Post Reply
Callum, just a note. When you have questions that are related, just put them into the same thread. It keeps your answers together and makes it easier for folks to answer you.

Welcome to the forum!! Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 07:41 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Callum, just a note. When you have questions that are related, just put them into the same thread. It keeps your answers together and makes it easier for folks to answer you.

Welcome to the forum!! Coffee
I've mentioned it too but yours is a much better way of saying it Smile
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid121174
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 369 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Fisher and Paykel Solo Columbiabill 29 3,925 03-15-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Vako
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 429 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,416 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.