Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

cheek puffing causing me to open mouth
RE: cheek puffing causing me to open mouth
(07-16-2015, 05:57 AM)me50 Wrote: for some reason I thought you were taking your machine back and getting an auto or full data capable machine after you got a new script from your doctor. did I confuse you with someone else? If not, take it back and exchange it before it is too late. an auto could help with this problem along with a chin strap if necessary

No, that was me. The DME refuses to exchange the machine without a prescription change to an autoset. I attempted to get ahold of my doctor, but he is out of town until the 27th. I have an appointment with him on the 29th, and hope he will change it for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='49er' pid='122160' dateline='1437044605']
Hi Dawn,

Have you tried any nasal masks? The reason I am asking is even before my septoplasty, I was able to use my elan cloth mask when I couldn't use nasal pillows. Perhaps it might be worth a shot?

Another thing to consider is the Aloha Nasal Pillow mask has alot more air than the P10. Perhaps that might be worth trying to see if that solves the problem?

You're absolutely not posting too much so please put that thought out of our mind.

49er

[quote='mzdawn74' pid='122080' dateline='1436994266']

Hi,

Yes, I tried a nasal mask at the titration study and felt really claustrophobic, and went with the nasal pillows. I have a chinstrap if necessary, but will see how it goes. Here it is almost 4:30am and I'm still awake!! Grrrr this is frustrating...
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 06:15 AM)mzdawn74 Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 05:57 AM)me50 Wrote: for some reason I thought you were taking your machine back and getting an auto or full data capable machine after you got a new script from your doctor. did I confuse you with someone else? If not, take it back and exchange it before it is too late. an auto could help with this problem along with a chin strap if necessary

No, that was me. The DME refuses to exchange the machine without a prescription change to an autoset. I attempted to get ahold of my doctor, but he is out of town until the 27th. I have an appointment with him on the 29th, and hope he will change it for me.

In another one of your posts, I suggested that you call the office manager, nurse if they have one, nurse practitioner, physician's assistant. Another suggestion is that I doubt your doc took time off without someone on call for him so perhaps you can talk with that doc and explain your needs and concerns and perhaps they can help you with a new script. They may not want to do that but perhaps explain that your time to exchange the machine that isn't helping as much as it should is running out.

I had an autoset and was not adjusting to it very well. I had a sleep study and the orders were that if I reached a certain pressure to try me on vpap but they didn't do that. So, I had another sleep study ordered by another sleep doc at a different sleep lab and that tech followed the doctor's orders and it was found that vpap would help me much better.

I had the DME pick up the autoset and got a vpap and things have been better, not perfect but a lot better.

Just be proactive and sometimes it is beneficial to be a little bit of a squeaky wheel as long as it is done respectfully. A little oil goes a long way sometimes lol

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 06:36 AM)me50 Wrote:

In another one of your posts, I suggested that you call the office manager, nurse if they have one, nurse practitioner, physician's assistant. Another suggestion is that I doubt your doc took time off without someone on call for him so perhaps you can talk with that doc and explain your needs and concerns and perhaps they can help you with a new script. They may not want to do that but perhaps explain that your time to exchange the machine that isn't helping as much as it should is running out.

I had an autoset and was not adjusting to it very well. I had a sleep study and the orders were that if I reached a certain pressure to try me on vpap but they didn't do that. So, I had another sleep study ordered by another sleep doc at a different sleep lab and that tech followed the doctor's orders and it was found that vpap would help me much better.

I had the DME pick up the autoset and got a vpap and things have been better, not perfect but a lot better.

Just be proactive and sometimes it is beneficial to be a little bit of a squeaky wheel as long as it is done respectfully. A little oil goes a long way sometimes lol

Thank you for that suggestion. I will call the office and see if there is someone else covering for him.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 06:36 AM)me50 Wrote:

Agree, agree, agree! Every day counts with something like this. You have to be your own advocate in every area of health care, but for sure in this instance. I wouldn't wait until the 29th. I would call the office this minute and would be the squeakiest wheel they ever heard from. Asserting yourself is not a bad thing -- you pay them, not the other way around. Let us know how this works out.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not fussing at anyone in the least. I am not at all. Just offering a suggestion.

You do not have to use the "Reply with Quote" button to post. Just use the Quick Reply box at the bottom. Most folks can figure out who you are talking to. It makes it easier to find what YOU are saying amongst all the he said, then she said in response to what he said, the he said to what she said to what he said....

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...85#pid3285
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 02:49 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You do not have to use the "Reply with Quote" button to post. Just use the Quick Reply box at the bottom. Most folks can figure out who you are talking to.

I prefer to "reply with quote" but not without editing the parts quoted.
You can insert your own start quote and stop quote tags to break up the quoted text so you can reply directly to different sections. Also I try never to quote more than one level deep.

I've been using forums for a long time, and perhaps some of those who have just started find it a little tricky. In my experience the best policy is: quote, but quote judiciously.

The trouble with not quoting is that there may already have been several replies posted before the one you are posting and then it's hard to tell who you are talking to.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 02:49 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Not fussing at anyone in the least. I am not at all. Just offering a suggestion.

You do not have to use the "Reply with Quote" button to post. Just use the Quick Reply box at the bottom. Most folks can figure out who you are talking to. It makes it easier to find what YOU are saying amongst all the he said, then she said in response to what he said, the he said to what she said to what he said....

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...85#pid3285

Oh my goodness, so much to learn. I do like to quote, but I'll be more careful when I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I'm not saying you HAVE to. Just saying take it into consideration. If the post you are quoting is huge or has multiple quotes, just remove the extra bits. If you need help, just ask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
data reporting
When I got this machine, no one explained to me exactly who reports what to whom. I have a wireless RedMed, and I can view the results online with [email address removed]. Do they report it to my service, who then sends it to Medicare for payment? Also, what kind of reporting does my doctor have to do and when?

It is never a good idea to post email addresses on a public forum. - Moderator

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 21 44 minutes ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 611 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,079 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.