Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Adjusting to CPAP after splint
Adjusting to CPAP after splint
Hi all, I've been reading and searching this forum with great interest as I've just started a CPAP trial with a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and F&P Eson mask.

The reason for the trial is that a mandibular advancement splint still left me with EDS even though the data showed an appropriate improvement in AHI, and this is the last effort at attempting to rule out a diagnosis of idiopathic hypersomnia.

It's been almost a week and like some around here it's been hell for me. I think I have the mask fitting right without leaks and the pressure was set to 6-13 by my CPAP clinician as a starting point. I'll be seeing her this Friday for a followup.

My main issue is that I wake up multiple times in the night because it seems like my nose is congested. I've tried setting temp to 27C/80.6F and humidity to 3, also tried both of those a notch up from there. I use Nasonex and have also tried some Fess saline with Xylitol sinus cleanse, as well as a Fess dry nose oil spray but none of these seem to make any difference.

I've also turned off the ramp feature as it feels like I'm not getting enough (it starts at 4) pressure, which makes sense I think seeing as I hover around 6-7. I do have EPR on set at the default of 2. Makes it a little easier for us newbies it seems and I have to agree.

I do seem to be getting good results from my Sleepyhead data and I'm fairly comfortable wearing the mask and dealing with the tubing. It's just that when I'm congested I have to work harder to breathe and it's driving me nuts!

Any tips would be much appreciated. I've been lucky enough to get a free 2 month trial as CPAP Australia provides this to patients of the Woolcock Medical Research Institute here in Sydney.

I'll attach my Sleepyhead data once I get a few more posts under the belt, but it looks pretty good to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Adjusting to CPAP after splint
Maybe you need to try a full face mask, you can get alternate air through your mouth and achieve greater benefit from the therapy.

Best of luck!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny Shatzi, I was going to recommend nasal pillows as they seem to overcome nasal congestion and the Resmed Airfit P10 is generally regarded as the lightest, quietest and most comfortable mask for those that tolerate nasal therapy.

That is my suggestion. Get rid of the F&P. The P10 mask will come with 3-sizes of nasal pillows. Use the largest that fits. Otherwise, you have done pretty good turning off ramp and eliminating some other distractions.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dannyhawaii,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and optimizing it to work well for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys, I had a look at my post and realized it wasn't much of a grabber, so I do appreciate the responses.

This nasal congestion has me confused in terms of masks, it does seem to me that some people sort it out with a nasal pillow and others with a a full face mask. I think after a full week of this I'm definitely leaning towards a mask change. My CPAP clinician prescribed either the P10 or Eson and I went with the Eson as it seemed a lot easier to breathe out through.

Last night I tried sleeping with a different pillow to see if something more solid would help, but I'd say I slept even worse! And Sleepyhead shows a higher AHI too.

I've tried a week with the Eson, is that enough? Note that this is my very first week with CPAP.
Oh, forgot to mention, I seemed to be swallowing more air last night and, umm, found ways to release it all morning. This is making me wonder if a nasal pillow is a good idea for me. I'm kinda liking the idea of the Airfit F10 but can't say I've even put it on my face to see how it fits yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I went to see my CPAP provider and had a chat and went for the full face mask option. The idea of those nasal pillows turned me offThe Resmed F10 seems pretty comfortable to me, here's hoping it works for me tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2015, 01:55 AM)dannyhawaii Wrote: My main issue is that I wake up multiple times in the night because it seems like my nose is congested. I've tried setting temp to 27C/80.6F and humidity to 3, also tried both of those a notch up from there. I use Nasonex and have also tried some Fess saline with Xylitol sinus cleanse, as well as a Fess dry nose oil spray but none of these seem to make any difference.
[Image: Flo%20Sinus%20Care%20Starter%20Kit_0.jpg?itok=8zFlNMNT]
Try this, works better than the sprays, I use it before going to bed
Also try lower temp, for some higher humidifier setting cause more congestion but the opposite is true for others

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 307 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 131 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 237 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen
  Need help adjusting interpreting Oscar Data - 10 Aircurve Vauto mrwell 4 438 12-02-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: mrwell
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 308 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,236 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6
  Auto-adjusting CPAP as replacement in Philips Recall Speusippus 1 589 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.