Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 MONTHS IN AND STILL HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMPLIANCE.
RE: 3 MONTHS IN AND STILL HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMPLIANCE.
(08-12-2015, 11:29 AM)shodoug Wrote: I was given a full face mask by the sleep clinician, because I had an issue in the sleep study that she had not seen before. Upon exhaling, a flap of tissue in my air passage would slam closed and block my exhale. It was rather abrupt and severe. She slapped a full face mask on after that so she could get the pressure number. It was strapped on tight.

So I used the full face mask for a few months, as best I could. It had to be clamped to my head rather tight, and I learned to accept it by thinking of it as a lifeline of air to me , as if I was given a tube of air at the bottom of the ocean.

Slight movements of my jaw would cause leaks, so I learned not to move my jaw at all, which prevented me from moistening my mouth during sleep. I started to get dry mouth. This continued even after changing mask types, since I had learned that behavior. Thankfully it subsided with time. Dry mouth is not a good thing.
That is interesting. I have the same issue as I exhale sometimes it is blocked not sure what to do about that maybe surgury.

Doug

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2015, 02:59 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote:
(08-12-2015, 11:29 AM)shodoug Wrote: I was given a full face mask by the sleep clinician, because I had an issue in the sleep study that she had not seen before. Upon exhaling, a flap of tissue in my air passage would slam closed and block my exhale. It was rather abrupt and severe. She slapped a full face mask on after that so she could get the pressure number. It was strapped on tight.

So I used the full face mask for a few months, as best I could. It had to be clamped to my head rather tight, and I learned to accept it by thinking of it as a lifeline of air to me , as if I was given a tube of air at the bottom of the ocean.

Slight movements of my jaw would cause leaks, so I learned not to move my jaw at all, which prevented me from moistening my mouth during sleep. I started to get dry mouth. This continued even after changing mask types, since I had learned that behavior. Thankfully it subsided with time. Dry mouth is not a good thing.
That is interesting. I have the same issue as I exhale sometimes it is blocked not sure what to do about that maybe surgury.

Doug

I was able to mostly control it with time. I still can't always entirely control it when laying on my back.

Doug
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea, I am the same way if I lay down on my back I find it difficult to talk as a result of it. It is really strange. I am doing better again on the nasal pillows. I would have gone most of the night with them but I had a rain out condition. So I was so tired that I just turned it off. Usually I get up and empty the tube and continue. I did manage nearly 3 hours on it and my RDI was 0.00 so when I use it I am good. But it would seem that if I want to feel rested that I need more like 4.5 hours on it. I will get there just not with a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 204 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,865 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,646 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 484 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.