Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI suddenly goes up
AHI suddenly goes up
My AHI used to be under 5, but then I started losing weight. The past few months, it has never been over .05. I'm not sure I even need CPAP anymore. Then again, my Father had a bad apnea, and he was a skinny rail. Anyway, last night, my AHI was 13! I don't think it has ever been that high. How do I feel? A little tired, but I've been running a bit of a sleep deficit the past month, and the past 2 nights I got 7.5 hours, so I think I feel about normal.

Could this indicate my Resmed S9 is bad? Does this mean something bad for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI suddenly goes up
First, congratulations on your weight loss! Next, if my AHI went up to 13, I would be concerned especially if it has been at .05, but here's the thing..... Your not using software, so it's hard to determine why your numbers would change that much without looking at your data.

Do you know what your pressure settings are? You should download sleepyhead software, even though you can't post your data untill you have at least 8 posts, but you could tell us what it says as far as pressure, breakdown of ahi events, etc.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RChadwick,
WELCOME!to the forum.!
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss, and hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2015, 10:55 AM)OpalRose Wrote: First, congratulations on your weight loss! Next, if my AHI went up to 13, I would be concerned especially if it has been at .05, but here's the thing..... Your not using software, so it's hard to determine why your numbers would change that much without looking at your data.

Do you know what your pressure settings are? You should download sleepyhead software, even though you can't post your data untill you have at least 8 posts, but you could tell us what it says as far as pressure, breakdown of ahi events, etc.

I agree, but first it would be a good idea to identify the machine -- we know it has some data since he's seeing the AHI, but if it's the S9 Escape Auto then SleepyHead won't help -- no high res data (meaning no graphs), and no breakdown of the AHI into event type. But if it's the Elite, Autoset, or one of the VPAP models then SleepyHead might be able to shed some light on what happened.

The model name on the S9 will be right by the Start/Stop button.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day RChadwick, welcome to the forum.

As the others have said, it would be good to see your detailed data, if your machine is data capable.

However I wouldn't draw any conclusions from one night's results. Every night is different and occasionally there can be a glitch which gives an anomalous result. I would only worry if this becomes a trend.

As to whether you still need the machine, I think it's very likely that you do. Apnea doesn't generally go away, though weight loss will definitely help. I think if you stopped using the machine your apnea would return to what it was before you started.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the responses!
My machine is data capable, or it would be if it had an SD card in it. It filled up a while ago, and I didn't know if it was compatible with over-2GB cards.

The past 2 nights the AHI has been normal. The only thing that I can think of that might have caused it is my bite appliance. A few years ago, my dentist said I was grinding my teeth in my sleep. I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone, and get one of those 'Boil and bite' anti-snore mouthguards that keeps the jaw forward. I then wear a head strap to keep my jaw and mouth closed. With the nightshade I also wear, my wife jokes I sleep like a fighter pilot. Anyway, our new dog chewed the appliance, and I got one quickly from Wal-Mart that doesn't have enough material. It protects the teeth, but likely doesn't hold the jaw forward very well. I tightened the strap, and it seems to hold better. Think I'll just have to get a better mouth appliance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RD,

I'm with the rest of the folks here.
Get that SleepyHead software going and then you can figure out WHY things are not going right and then 'formulate
a plan of action!
The good folks here will show you how!
It will make you a believer.

How cool is that?
Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,801 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 290 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 522 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] AHI Suddenly Getting Worse bwor80 1 423 10-23-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Suddenly can't use CPAP after years of effortless use Gugliano 13 1,177 06-10-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] AHI suddenly rising and feeling tired calferreira 1 397 06-06-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: calferreira
  Suddenly getting large leaks Zach21 4 590 03-04-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Zach21

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.