Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

To ramp or not to ramp
To ramp or not to ramp
My machine was set to ramp when I picked it up, and I've always just left alone. After reading some posts here, it seems like many patients turn the ramp feature off. What are the pluses and minuses of ramp-on vs ramp-off? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: To ramp or not to ramp
I am also very interested in this topic.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jim,
One reason some people turn off the ramp feature is that they feel they aren't getting enough air. Some people have their ramp turned on, but they decrease their time.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Trish has mentioned one reason: Feeling of not getting enough air.
Those who do use ramp set the ramp time short; of the order of 10 minutes.
The other issue is that it is common to adjust the mask at the start. Adjusting the mask at lower than therapy pressures can result in leaks at therapy pressure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The ramp allows you time to get used to the pressure, increasing comfort. The down side is that until the ramp has finished the pressure is not high enough to keep your airway from collapsing should you fall asleep.

Most people stop using it after they get used to the pressure, which is usually within the first seek or two.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ramp features is mostly for newbies who have trouble with tolerating the pressure. If you are beyond that point, turn it off since it delays the application of proper therapy level pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2015, 08:38 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: My machine was set to ramp when I picked it up, and I've always just left alone. After reading some posts here, it seems like many patients turn the ramp feature off. What are the pluses and minuses of ramp-on vs ramp-off? Thanks.

Hello Jim. Pluses? I guess it's just that you get right into it which is fine if your pressure is not uncomfortable from the beginning just after putting on your mask. If the pressure is so high that it feels like a hurricane and that bums you out, then use the ramp function so the pressure builds up gradually from an low, easy start.

Minuses? I don't know of any. It's a matter of personal comfort and preference.

It's really that simple. Hope this helps. --Papit
Post Reply Post Reply
Kill the ramp.
You're only at 9cm so just sit up for a minute or few breathing at that pressure.
You'll adapt to it and if you have to get up in the middle of the night for any reason
you wont have to restart at the bottom of the ramp again. (usually about 4cm which is way too low BTW)
That means you'll throw a lot less OA events that way too.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try turning it off and see how I like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I turned off the ramp when I was having leaks. It was hard to tell if I was going to get a leak with the low pressure. Now I can't use the ramp - the pressure is too low to get enough air.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 401 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 602 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,203 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 610 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Machine noise during ramp-up. rfkennard 0 412 01-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: rfkennard
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 974 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Does machine kick In if you have apnea during ramp time Scott12579 4 1,060 08-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.