Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Settings mysteriously changed
Settings mysteriously changed
I'm almost 3 months in - after non response and lots of periodic breathing and high ahi was pulled in for another study with though of going to AutoSV .....cut during study did not have cheyne stokes and only 1 or 2 centrals.... I was eventually set on a flex of 11-14. My Ahi and periodic breathing improved but ahi was still hovering around 5 then creeped up to 10. Periodic breathing was at 0 then creeped back up to 2. My 7 day average ahi was 6.9 and periodic breathing 2%.

Last night I felt my machine ramp almost immediately instead of the usual 30 min. I looked at the display and saw 13.5. I went into the manual settings myself from reading online how to do it, and discovered I was on a fixed 13.5 with a .05 ramp. I also noticed the AHI and periodic breathing totals disappeared!!

How did my machines settings change?

I emailed my doc who contacted the medical supply company who programs my machine. Lady from there called me and said they decided to switch me to 6-16 flax. She has no explanation for the changes to my machine and didn't respond to my asking what happened. She said new changes wouldn't take effect until tomorrow.

So tonight I figured I'd try the 13.5 fixed, and I read online how to once again display AHI and periodic breathing, and those numbers completely changed. Now saying my 7 day AHI is 4.2 and 30 day os 5.1. And periodic breathing 0%!?!?!?!
When machine started, it started to feel REALLY REALLY warm what I was breathing. My humidifier was at 3 when mine was always at 4.

So I'm not wearing it tonight. I know it's set wrong, but I need to know WHY THIS HAPPENED? Could it happen all on its own or did someone at the clinic program the wrong cpap with someone else's specifications??

I'm so stressed out

Good news is I finally got a new laptop so can try to download sleepyhead. Hope it's not hard to learn. I really have to figure out why I'm not responding well. Or if I need a cardiac or neuro checkup.

Anyone have settings change randomly?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Settings mysteriously changed
Some dufus has set your machine in auto trial mode. At the end of whatever no of days that was set for the machine shifts to cpap check mode which is a fixed pressure mode to fine tune a single pressure setting. Cpap chk will only movd 1cm every 30 hrs.
Go into clinical and set your machine for auto mode then set your min and max pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your CPAP machine has a modem via which data is sent automatically to a sleep doctor or DME to monitor compliance and treatment, I have been told that the DME or dr. can remotely change your settings via the modem. I made changes via the clinical menu the day after I got a new CPAP, since the DME had used settings that did not work for me on my previous CPAP machine and that I didn't want the DME to remotely change. To prevent remote changes, I keep my Airsense 10 in "Airplane Mode" most of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of the time the DME personnel will tell their clients that they cannot make any changes to the machine without a prescription from the doctor but they must be doing it because it isn't just changing itself. The explanation of Ghost1958 makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not like the idea of some jerkface clerk, who probably shouldn't even be pushing a broom, messing with my machine over the internet.
99% if the time I know what I am doing and they don't even have the data on hand to make any kind of decisions.

Angry

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be multiple reasons:
1) As Ghost1958 said, your machine was in auto trial mode. We can find that out if we know the exact name and model no. Of your machine.
2) your earlier settings were wrong and the sleep lab changed them remotely. For this, we need to know if your machine has a modem attached to it.
3) maybe you were given a used machine. You should check the 'blower hours' in the clinician menu to find out.
4) Sometimes, electronics malfunction and some changes may happen. But it's unlikely. Another likely explanation here may be that the SD card came loose and the machine couldn't read the settings off the card and in some mixup, ended up changing them.

Hope you find the exact reason.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 325 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 358 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 391 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  HELP! Granddaughter changed settings on Dreamstaton jdmedic 3 337 01-02-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: jdmedic
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 382 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 829 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Symptoms] Only changed mask, fully aware during REM sleep phase? THEVGE 2 393 09-25-2023, 08:00 AM
Last Post: THEVGE

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.