Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air escaping from mouth with XPAP
RE: Air escaping from mouth with XPAP
I may be misreading OPs problem,
But seems shes concerned about air escaping her mouth.
OP it doesnt matter in a ffm if it does.
I recommend a Simplus ffm.
But everyone has different masks they like.
Post Reply Post Reply
For several years I have been taping my mouth shut with Micropore paper tape - 2" wide - can get a box of 6 rolls for about $9 from amazon. Someone said to me that this was dangerous, but I don't see why this would be so, so I'm assuming that concern is not well founded (but if someone has a good reason to think otherwise, I'm all ears). Plus it's the only thing that has worked for me so far. Nasal systems give me a bad mouth leak, full face masks give a bad overall leak. That said, I'm hoping to make a full face mask work and am now experimenting (again) to see if I can use one without a terrible leak.

Has anyone here used a special pillow (side sleeping pillow, etc) to take the pressure off the edge of a full face mask and thus (hopefully) prevent it from getting dislodged and leaking?
Post Reply Post Reply
VisitorX,

Here is my take on what it takes to get a full face mask to fit right with few leaks. If the notch in your chin under your lower lip and your cheekbones, and the deepest part of the bridge of your nose are all in the same plane then most of the FFMs should be satisfactory. I do not think that this is the case very often. There is another qualifier for this statement. The bridge of your nose is not inset too far from your forehead.

If the 3 features of your face that were previously mentioned are not close to being in the same plane and/or the bridge of your nose is recessed too far from your forehead, there are only 2 FFMs that I know of that will work. These two masks are Resmed's Mirage Quattro and Fisher and Paykel's Simplus. You must first get the size right. Use the manufacturer's sizing but be ready to change sizes to fit your particular needs. The Resmed sizing tool and Fisher and Paykel's both said I needed a medium size. A small actually works better for me in both cases. Found out through trial and error. One other mask that might work under these conditions is the PR Fitlife mask which is a Total Face Mask.

When trying to eliminate leaks for a FFM, one needs to do it thoughtfully.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is some info that I have dug up back when I was trying to determine what size ResMed Mirage Quattro mask to order.

Xsmall = 75 mm. (3")
Small = 85 mm. (3 3/8")
Med. = 95 mm. (3 3/4")
Large = 107 mm. (4 1/4")

These are the measurements from
center to center of the mask cushion
from top to bottom.

Choose the measurements above that most closely matches the measurement from the notch in your chin under your lower lip to the deepest part of your nose bridge.

I'm not saying that they will automatically give you a ResMed Mirage Quattro mask but if you determine what size you are before going in, it'll put you one step ahead of the person doing your fitting for any mask and give you some idea of what they should be selecting for you.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that, Payton.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2015, 06:40 AM)VisitorX Wrote: For several years I have been taping my mouth shut with Micropore paper tape - 2" wide - can get a box of 6 rolls for about $9 from amazon. Someone said to me that this was dangerous, but I don't see why this would be so, so I'm assuming that concern is not well founded (but if someone has a good reason to think otherwise, I'm all ears). Plus it's the only thing that has worked for me so far. Nasal systems give me a bad mouth leak, full face masks give a bad overall leak. That said, I'm hoping to make a full face mask work and am now experimenting (again) to see if I can use one without a terrible leak.

Has anyone here used a special pillow (side sleeping pillow, etc) to take the pressure off the edge of a full face mask and thus (hopefully) prevent it from getting dislodged and leaking?

I have yet to wear a FFM successfully and not for lack of trying!
I'm taping now and it makes a huge improvement however if one were to vomit could be a beeeg problem. I now bend the tape back on itself on the sticky side about 3/8" making a flap that is easy to grab and yank if it becomes necessary for a quick removal. I field tested it and it hurts like heck but it does make it easy for an emergency tape untape.

This is all quite the PITA.
Put on chin strap.
Put on nasal mask.
Tape mouth shut.

I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
>I now bend the tape back on itself on the sticky side about 3/8" making a flap that is easy to grab and yank if it becomes necessary for a quick removal. I field tested it and it hurts like heck but it does make it easy for an emergency tape untape.

>This is all quite the PITA.
Put on chin strap.
Put on nasal mask.
Tape mouth shut.

-----

I also fold over the tape at the edge to make it easier to remove, BUT I've also discovered the "obvious": that if you need to open your mouth, just take a single finger and poke it right through the tape into your mouth--much easier than removing it. Then you can simply put a new layer of tape on top when you want to close up again. I can actually get up, poke hole, make it a bit bigger, and have some water or tea and retape it (if you're careful not to get the tape wet).

I also have a real PITA arrangement: tape, mask, a day pack with a large plastic container in it (to keep off my back). I also elevate the head of my be six inches. And I'm about to start experimenting with a chin strap and cervical collar to prevent my neck from "tucking." Unfortunately, I seem to have so-called "complex" sleep apnea (a.k.a. treatment-emergent central sleep apnea) in which central apneas and hypopneas start to develop when you apply the pressure of CPAP. Not good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, which chin strap do you use? I have the same problem, looking for a good chip strap recommendation
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use a chin strap because I tried several and they don't work for me. That said, I have tried several and I think that this was the one that seemed to be the best: SleepWell Pro Adjustable Stop Snoring Chin Strap (Black, Fits Most)

I use this tape 3M Micropore Paper Tape - White, 2" Wide - 1530-2 - Box of 6 from Amazon, about $8 per box of 6 rolls, and tape my mouth shut. If you peel off gently it does not tear skin. If you wake up and have to open the mouth quickly -- like if you have to burp air or clear your throat or (worse) are concerned you might regurgitate, just stick your finger into the middle and it will puncture a hole to your mouth -- much simpler and faster than tearing off.  Good luck. I use the tape on top of a mandibular advancement piece (MAD; oral appliance) and it works out okay. I do not do well with full-face masks....have tried many but all leak badly because I sleep on my side and they get dislodged.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I use the same tape, but I fold over one end to allow for midnight drinks of water, sneezes, etc. I find I can peel part of the tape off holding the folded end, then reattach it -- the tape will let me do this 2 or 3x throughout the night before the stickiness wears off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 366 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.