Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

lips opening from s9 when not from respironics m
lips opening from s9 when not from respironics m
i just switched from a respironics old M series, which was really noisy, but i didn't have a problem with my lips opening from air pressure, to a resmed s9, autoset. much quieter. i have the same min 7 max 15 pressures etc etc, did try the EPR but wondered if that was the cause, so turned it to off...but still the pressure from this machine blows my lips apart as soon as i start to fall asleep....i don't understand how anyone can keep their tongue in an involuntary position....as soon as i relax to go to sleep,, of course it moves..any ideas as to why my lips stay closed with the m series but get blown open with the S9? so of course i take it off.
i am pretty new to all this, and self diagnosing so.....
onward!Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: lips opening from s9 when not from respironics m
Assuming you are using the same mask, it's possible that the fan in the old machine just got so weak it didn't push the pressure it used to push.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
It's hard to say if the old M Series machine was giving you the correct pressure or that it was even working properly.

It sounds as though you are a mouth breather, and when the pressure gets to a certain level, it blows out your mouth. Have you tried a chin strap? It may help.

Can you post here the median and 90% pressure readings from your S9? Also you AHI reading.
We may be able to tell if your pressure range is set right for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2015, 03:00 PM)magicis Wrote: i just switched from a respironics old M series, which was really noisy, but i didn't have a problem with my lips opening from air pressure, to a resmed s9, autoset. much quieter. i have the same min 7 max 15 pressures etc etc, did try the EPR but wondered if that was the cause, so turned it to off...but still the pressure from this machine blows my lips apart as soon as i start to fall asleep....i don't understand how anyone can keep their tongue in an involuntary position....as soon as i relax to go to sleep,, of course it moves..any ideas as to why my lips stay closed with the m series but get blown open with the S9? so of course i take it off.
i am pretty new to all this, and self diagnosing so.....
onward!Huhsign

I use a Resmed S9 VPAP Auto at 20 cm/H2O IPAP. The 3 full face masks that I have all have the inlet right in front of my mouth. I have never experienced the air from the PAP machine blowing my mouth open. With a FFM which has a large vent area and the machine maintaining 20 cm/H2O pressure, there is a lot a of air coming in from the entrance.

What I have experienced is, as I am just dropping off to sleep, my jaw relaxes and my mouth tends to open. I have corrected this tendency through training and more recently, when the training quit working, finding the chin strap that works for me.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi magicis,

I suggest you try turning EPR back on, because it usually decreases mouth leaking, I think.

Also, if the pressure is increasing rapidly while you are still falling asleep, using the Ramp function long enough to fall asleep before normal therapy begins may help avoid the problem of rapid pressure increases while falling asleep.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

It's hard to say if the old M Series machine was giving you the correct pressure or that it was even working properly.

It sounds as though you are a mouth breather, and when the pressure gets to a certain level, it blows out your mouth. Have you tried a chin strap? It may help.

Can you post here the median and 90% pressure readings from your S9? Also you AHI reading.
We may be able to tell if your pressure range is set right for you.
[/quote]

Sorry, i don't know how to reply without the last answer, as a quote, but thank you for your responses!
i don't have any info yet because i have not been able to sleep with the new machine....as i start to fall asleep, my lips do the flub a dub thing every minute or so, so i just take off the gizmo.....
Before i bought this machine i borrowed a friend's s9, for one night. Sept 4th. i cannot read the data to find the "Median or 90% but the AHI was 1.32. with no lip puffing problem that night....the only thing different with the new machine is the tube...my regular tube from the M series i have now changed to the new climate control heated tube which is skinnier....so, i changed the tube setting from standard to slim line, expecting the new S9 to adjust accordingly, but that is the only change, and so i wonder....i am going to try to paste the sleepyhead stats from the night i used my friend's s9 with my own standard tube, and had no problems....i can see lower down than what i am pasting that with his i had the EPR set on full at 3....i have turned that off on my mine, cause it seems it was blowing even more:
/Users/user/Desktop/Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 10.43.02 AM.png

i know i probably sound pretty discombobulated....after 60 years of no sleep!

also, i don't understand, even if you are not a mouth breather, how could your sleeping lips not get blown out with that air pressure?
thanks for your attention!

[
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2015, 01:07 PM)magicis Wrote: Sorry, i don't know how to reply without the last answer, as a quote, but thank you for your responses!

Hi magicis,
We can "Reply with Quote" and then delete the earlier stuff, and write our post.

(09-20-2015, 01:07 PM)magicis Wrote: ... i changed the tube setting from standard to slim line, expecting the new S9 to adjust accordingly, but that is the only change, and so i wonder....

I think it is good that you adjusted the Tube type setting to agree with the Slimline you are using. This allows the machine to estimate more accurately the pressure at the mask.

(09-20-2015, 01:07 PM)magicis Wrote: i can see lower down than what i am pasting that with his i had the EPR set on full at 3....i have turned that off on my mine, cause it seems it was blowing even more

Instead of "off" I suggest you can try setting EPR to 1, to see if it reduces the lip flutter.

A Full Face Mask would tend to eliminate lip flutter, but some patients find FFMs are harder to keep from leaking.

I use a FFM and very high pressure, and find that I must use a "mask liner" which is a piece of doughnut-shaped cloth which goes between the face and the mask. We could easily make them ourself, or we can buy mask liners. We need to make very sure to get the mask liner model which is made for our mask, so we must know our mask model and size before buying the liners.

RemZzzs brand recommends using a new liner each night, but I change to a new liner weekly. If I made my own I would use slightly heavier material and would probably wash weekly and re-use for a few months before discarding.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

<Hi magicis,
We can "Reply with Quote" and then delete the earlier stuff, and write our post.>
Alrighty then....i think i've got that. thank you!

i can see lower down than what i am pasting that with his i had the EPR set on full at 3....i have turned that off on my mine, cause it seems it was blowing even more[/quote]

<Instead of "off" I suggest you can try setting EPR to 1, to see if it reduces the lip flutter.>
thanks, i did try the 1 setting, but it didn't help.

<A Full Face Mask would tend to eliminate lip flutter, but some patients find FFMs are harder to keep from leaking.>
Yes, i had a lot of leakage with the FFM a few months ago when i began this journey.
I just hate to go back to a FFM quite yet, as i have used not only the old respironics M machine that i have, but also, my friend's resmed s9 (just like the one i just purchased) with no problems, for some months....i only purchased the s9 because when i used his, i realized it was so very quiet, plus it had an SD card that i could use to begin to self diagnose. because those experiences were so successful and i wasn't mouth breathing, i am really trying to track what is different about this new machine. the settings are the same etc....the only thing different, is the darn tube, and it seems the machine would adjust. tonight, though, i will try my old tube....with the change of seasons, and a bit colder weather though, i was beginning to get a bit of condensation, and knew the heated tube would solve that.
you are such a dear to respond so succinctly. thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
okay now i know it isn't the tube either....just tried to take a nap....what mystery!http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/oh-jeez.gif
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2015, 08:09 PM)magicis Wrote: okay now i know it isn't the tube either....just tried to take a nap....what mystery! http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/images/...h-jeez.gif

Obstructive sleep apnea is usually highly positional. Usually, flat on our back is the worst position, making the machine raise the pressure higher than it would otherwise need to use.

Perhaps your sleep position has changed, causing higher pressure to be needed?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,057 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 230 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,412 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,294 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.