Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

4 1/2 months in and I am so, so tired.
4 1/2 months in and I am so, so tired.
First, let me say I went for sleep apnea testing because my partner reported that I wasn't breathing at night and I was snoring and she was concerned. I was not tired during the day. I did not have a high Epworth Sleep Scale score so at first my insurance wasn't even going to pay for the testing but in the end paid for the home sleep test. I was positive for moderate apnea but didn't get any more info from the sleep study people other than that. No baseline scores were shared with me.

I started therapy with my resmed airsense 10 and a full face mask which did not fit right and I soon changed to nasal pillows. I hated the machine and pillows and tubes for weeks, but persisted. At about 2 1/2 months, I started to get used to it. With the help of occasional sleeping pills, I started to be able to sleep okay with the CPAP machine. Yay!

Unfortunately, that lasted about 2 weeks. Since then I have been miserable. It feels like my nasal passages are swollen and I can't get enough air. I have increased my low pressure from 6 to 8.5 and my high I've kept at 12. It auto adjusts and usually goes to about 11.5. I am awake often, adjusting and readjusting the nasal pillows and tubing trying to get comfortable. I have tried saline nasal spray and steroid nasal spray to try to reduce the feeling of swelling (and suffocation) in my nose. I also have mild asthma and find my inhaler helps a little bit but nothing helps much and I remain miserable. Some nights I take the damned thing off after 4 hours, which is my insurance companies minimum for compliance.

Let me say again, I was not tired during the day before starting CPAP therapy. My partner was tired because she couldn't sleep with my irregular breathing and snoring, but I wasn't tired. Now, however, I wake up tired and feel like I have gotten no rest. I'm lethargic all day. I teach 2nd graders and I need to be awake during the day and not miserable and irritable.

Why was I sleeping okay for a couple of weeks and then not?

I have an older macbook which does not have an SD slot, so I can't use the sleepy head program to get a better look at my data.

Any idea what is going on and what I might be able to do about it?

I keep trying but I'm miserable.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 4 1/2 months in and I am so, so tired.
(09-21-2015, 07:42 PM)Suzannekty Wrote: Why was I sleeping okay for a couple of weeks and then not?
Same with me, CPAP can cause nasal symptoms or maybe beginners luck
Try Neilmed saline sinus rinse (not spray), you'll need to experiment with humidity level setting and recommend the heated tube
Some can experience nasal symptoms on higher settings, others might be on lower settings, trail and error
With nasal masks and nasal pillows masks, you'll have to breathe only through your nose, otherwise mouth breathing and mouth leaks can compromise the therapy. Chinstrap can helps keeps mouth closed or full face mask perhaps, you've tried full face mask but "did not fit right", maybe try different size or another one

As for SD card slot, you can get SD card reader and download the data from the card

Post Reply Post Reply
"Why was I sleeping okay for a couple of weeks and then not?"
Difficult to say why. The pressure increase from 6 to 8.5 sounds appropriate.

It's probably the mask. That's the key to comfort; and the hardest thing to get right.
The P10 is very popular. It's works well for most people who can tolerate nasal pillows.
Myself, I cannot -- so the full face mask works for me.

I really wish you had access to software - that could tell the story.

(BTW -- please update your profile with the 8.5/12 pressures.)

I'll throw out this: Try increasing humidity.
Also, with a nasal mask, some people open their mouth and pressure is lost; circumventing the efficacy of the therapy.
A chin strap is sometimes added to gently remind the jaw to say closed.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reminder, Mongo. I updated my profile.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My original mask was a Airfit F10 full face mask, size medium. When I later looked at the size suggestions, I saw that I was right in between the recommendation for small and medium. The medium hit too high on the bridge of my nose or if I pulled it down it was too low on my chin to seal correctly. It made tuba noises as the air blew out from one spot or another. I could pull it really tight and get it to seal, sort of, but that was uncomfortable. I didn't try a small ff mask, but went to the nasal pillows. I sometimes breathe through my mouth, but catch myself or my partner wakes me up. It never happens long enough to cause an air leak above acceptable. I can imagine that if I had a cold or allergies, the nasal pillow could be a even more of a problem than it is now. Maybe another ff mask, nose mask or hybrid would do better.

I do have a heated tube. I keep my humidity low because we are pretty humid in NC already.

Maybe I don't have the hang of it yet, but a saline rinse just makes my nose feel wet, in addition to stuffy, which is not a nice feeling either. I'm not sure why some people think the nasal rinses are comforting. Wet nasal passages aren't comfortable to me, but maybe I'm not doing it right or maybe I should do it a few hours before going to bed rather than minutes.

Ah, well... time to try again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like the P10 is the right mask for you. Some folks keep a full face mask for times when they have congestion.
The humidifier with heated hose compensates for the humidity of the intake air. So, even in humid conditions it can assist.

I have a lady friend who uses a Netipot for rinsing her nasal passages. She says it works for her. I just cannot get the hang of the Netipot.

Good evening,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2015, 10:42 PM)justMongo Wrote: I have a lady friend who uses a Netipot for rinsing her nasal passages. She says it works for her. I just cannot get the hang of the Netipot.

Good evening,

Mongo
I cannot use the pot either, prefer the squeezy bottle and not fan of steroid or OTC sprays
Here youtube video from Neilemd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9mvVe7Mk4
Post Reply Post Reply
The nasal rinse should be done a few hours before bed. It's better to make it a habit in the morning.

If you suffer from congestion, as I do, a nasal rinse will help if you do it right. It will flush out out the gunk and yucky crap that is up in your nose.

I could not master the netipot either. The squeeze bottle works best. Blowing-nose

An hour or two before bed, I use a nasal spray with xylitol.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flonase nasal spray works for me. 30 mins to an hour before bed.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 229 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 8 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 67 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,987 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 182 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 138 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.