Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Intermittent spikes in AHI/AI overtime
Intermittent spikes in AHI/AI overtime
I have been using the arisense 10, autopressure, FX nasal pillows. I reviewed the last 30 day numbers which show:

AI=5
AHI=7
Hypo=2.0
central =4.4

machinen set on auto 4-20
median pressure=8
95th percentile=11.2
max=13

leakage pressures
median=0
95th percentile=10.8
max=24

I noticed in the past 30 days that on THREE nights my AHI and AI have gone through the roof. AHI=22, and AI=20. Why do I get a high AHI and AI on intermittent occassions when in fact nothing has changed in my system or the way I use the apparatus.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Intermittent spikes in AHI/AI overtime
(09-22-2015, 06:38 PM)ckingzzzs Wrote: I have been using the arisense 10, autopressure, FX nasal pillows. I reviewed the last 30 day numbers which show:

AI=5
AHI=7
Hypo=2.0
central =4.4

machinen set on auto 4-20
median pressure=8
95th percentile=11.2
max=13

leakage pressures
median=0
95th percentile=10.8
max=24

I noticed in the past 30 days that on THREE nights my AHI and AI have gone through the roof. AHI=22, and AI=20. Why do I get a high AHI and AI on intermittent occassions when in fact nothing has changed in my system or the way I use the apparatus.

Well, something changes in you. We are not machines, we are messy squishy organisms who change from day to day. Mine vary too, but in general are a lot lower than yours and rarely do I go over two. On the other hand I also need supplemental oxygen when sleeping.

Generally you need to get your AHI down a bit. 5 is considered the "standard" for proper treatment. Many are well under that on APAP treatment.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ckingzzzs
Last 30 days, AHI 7, central 4.4 .... the majority of events are centrals
Past 30 days (3 nights) AI 20 ... What is the breakdown of events (obstructive and central)
The Autoset do nothing to central apnea , other than scoring it
This is something need to be monitored and talk to the treating sleep doctor about

Leak numbers are good and within acceptable range
Pressure wise, there is room to increase the minimum pressure close to the median pressure
Perhaps decrease the maximum set pressure from 20 to 13 or 14, this is not going make much difference as the machine did not climb above 13

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ckingzzzs

I suppose my numbers could be better. My average over a given 30 days is usually around an AHI of 4 with the centrals at around 1 or a little less. I have had a few days that my average AHI was as high as 12 but they are rare. My doctor is happy with my results. My AHI during a sleep study several months ago was 83 events per hour. I guess less than five almost every night is good relative to that. Like the others have mentioned, a discussion with your doctor would be a good idea.

Do you know what your untreated events were like?

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Weird spikes and then I wake up tiredguy1 4 291 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Intermittent "mooing" noises from (new) machine marylee 3 297 01-29-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Fairly consistent pulse rate spikes every night shyrwall 4 327 01-12-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: shyrwall
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,109 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  Very intermittent nasal cushion collapse BillfromMissouri2 4 385 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.