Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Backup battery (tender) question.
Backup battery (tender) question.
Is it OK for me to leave my deep cycle marine batteries on the Deltran Battery Tender 1.5, at all times, or should I remove it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Backup battery (tender) question.
How long can I leave the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger connected to a battery?

In theory, you can leave the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger connected to a battery forever. That’s a really long time. Sales people like to say, “Just plug it in and forget about it!” However, practically speaking, it is a good idea to check on the battery at least once every couple of weeks. Strange things can happen. Sometimes a battery can have a weak cell that won’t show up until the worst possible time. Of course, that time is usually when the battery is connected to a charger, and you are out of town on vacation.

If something goes wrong, then you have to deal with the question of the chicken and the egg. Which came first? Did the battery fail because it was connected to the charger or did the charger fail because it was connected to the battery? Good luck sorting that one out.

With a battery and a charger connected together, it’s a much better idea to be proactive and anticipate problems, however unlikely they may be. In more than 99.9% of cases, nothing will go wrong. That still leaves about 0.1% where something might. Learn to respect electricity. A little common sense can go a long way.

Also consider this. No matter how good a product is, anything can break. In fact, everything will break, eventually. There are only 2 questions to be answered. 1) When will it fail? & more importantly 2) How will it fail? If a product is designed and built well, a manufacturer will set a long warranty period, usually several years, to support that notion. Deltran, and other responsible manufacturers, invest a tremendous amount of time, effort, and money to ensure that their products will fail in a relatively safe manner. For electronic products, at the very least that means no electrical shock or fire hazard.

The Battery Tender® Plus battery charger has a 10 year limited warranty, which is unprecedented among battery charger manufacturers. And it is listed with Underwriter’s Laboratories to comply with both US and Canadian electrical product safety standards for battery chargers used with engine start batteries.

From an automotive point of view, just check it periodically and don't worry.

HAPPY MOTORING!!!Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Typical sales pitch speak. All those words and it didn't really say much.

Yes, you can leave it on all the time but it is a good idea to keep an eye on the meter to ensure they are still at full charge. Store them off the floor and in a cool (but not cold) place and they should be fine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2015, 05:56 PM)ginzo Wrote: How long can I leave the Battery Tender® Plus battery charger connected to a battery?

Just to verify, I'm not guilty............That came directly from their website. LOL

Here is my POV:
From an automotive point of view, just check it periodically and don't worry.

HAPPY MOTORING!!!Mornincoffee

(09-29-2015, 06:04 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Typical sales pitch speak. All those words and it didn't really say much.

Yes, you can leave it on all the time but it is a good idea to keep an eye on the meter to ensure they are still at full charge. Store them off the floor and in a cool (but not cold) place and they should be fine.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. My other concerns is that during winter, when the power goes out, it gets extremely cold in the house. Worried it might drain my 97AH 12 volt, deep cycle marine batteries a lot faster. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the specs for your machine, although it is true that cold does draw a battery down faster, your ahead of the game with a deep cycle marine battery.

Doesn't seem that your machine has to big a demand on power. Looks to be about the same as an average laptop.

Technical specifications
90W power supply unit
AC input range:

240V, 50

60Hz 1.0

1.5A, Class II
115V, 400Hz 1.5A, Class II (nominal for aircraft use)
DC output:
24V
3.75A

This is about the same as an average lamp, Yes?
Typical power consumption:
53W (57VA)
Peak power consumption:
104W (108V
A)

Environmental conditions
Operating temperature:
+41°F to +95°F (+5°C to +35°C)
Note:
The air flow for breathing produced by this therapy
device can be higher than the temperature of the room.
Under extreme ambient temperature conditions
(104°F/40
°C) the device remains safe.
Operating humidity:
10 to 95% relative humidity, non
-
condensing
Operating altitude:
Sea level to 8,500'
(2,591
m); air pressure range 1013
hPa to
hPa
Storage and transport temperature:
-
4°F to +140°F (
-
20°C to +60°C)
St
orage and transport humidity:
5 to 95% relative humidity, non
-
condensing

(09-29-2015, 06:14 PM)JVinNE Wrote: Thank you. My other concerns is that during winter, when the power goes out, it gets extremely cold in the house. Worried it might drain my 97AH 12 volt, deep cycle marine batteries a lot faster. Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
JVinNE: To summarize: Yes, you can leave the Battery Tender on. And, you have plenty of battery capacity.
As for cold -- the cell Voltage drops a bit when cold as it effects the chemistry of the cell's reaction.
Cold inside the house is nothing compared to cold outside in New England.
You'll be fine.

Mongo, BSEE.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, cold slowly drains it, as in just a bit over time. Which is why up off the floor is good. So during a power outage, you'll be using them anyway and hopefully have some way to recharge them. It won't matter then anyway.

And ginzo, I knew it wasn't your words but theirs. You're a good egg.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Funny you should say that. When I was a kid, (and to this day) I LOVE scrambled egg sandwiches.

The kids on my block mercilessly nick named me "eggy on bready". I hated it then, but now when we get together or talk and they call me that, it makes me laugh!!Laugh-a-lot Everyone had a nick name when they were kids on my block............

Your a psychic!!!

(09-30-2015, 03:31 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: And ginzo, I knew it wasn't your words but theirs. You're a good egg.

Post Reply Post Reply
As mentioned by others, anything can break. The Battery Tender has a circuit that disables the charger if the voltage of the battery gets to far out of normal, even while charging. (But that can malfunction.) It is also prudent to have an inline fuse on every line that connects to the positive side of the battery (fairly close to the terminal) just in case something goes wrong. I haven't torn a Battery Tender apart, the cases are riveted, but I expect its brains are a charge controller chip from Microchip. I have one Battery Tender that is around 20 years old and still working, and one recently purchased just for my ResMed A10 Autoset backup battery a Duracell 55AH AGM. So far, I have been able to operated my A10 two consecutive nights with the humidifier and heated hose both set to auto and 90% pressure around 12 without discharging the battery below safe levels. I'm still experimenting.

Jeff

PS. The old Battery Tender has been used to maintain motorcycle batteries that are small and tend to sulfate out due to poor usage cycle during the winter. The Tender has saved me a lot of battery headache over the years.
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 108 10 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,827 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 201 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
Question [Equipment] Proprietary Dreamstation Battery Cables? NorthernGuy 25 11,439 01-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Pastrywagon
  Resmed A10 Motherboard Battery BKeeper 21 3,502 01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.