Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resistance Exhaling In CPAP
Ohmy 
Resistance Exhaling In CPAP
I never noticed it before and I've been using it for about a month. The biggest difference is that I switch out the thin line for a climate line hose.

1) If I switch back it still feels the same.
2) changed pillows too and still the same.
3) Adjusted the EPR to 2 (can't really tell the difference between 1 2 or 3)

Any suggestions please?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resistance Exhaling In CPAP
(10-02-2015, 03:51 PM)Jtwanabe Wrote: I never noticed it before and I've been using it for about a month. The biggest difference is that I switch out the thin line for a climate line hose.

1) If I switch back it still feels the same.
2) changed pillows too and still the same.
3) Adjusted the EPR to 2 (can't really tell the difference between 1 2 or 3)

Any suggestions please?

If your pressure is really fixed at 4 as you indicate in your profile then you won't feel any difference with EPR because 4 is the lowest pressure the machine can go. EPR normally decreases the exhale pressure by 1, 2 or 3 cms. But if you're already running at the lowest pressure then EPR is irrelevant because the machine can't decrease the pressure any further.

Are you sure that your pressure is 4? That's an unusual prescription pressure. And most people feel like they can't breathe on 4, like there's not enough air and it's a suffocating feeling. Can you double check your pressure settings? To access the clinical menu where you'll find the settings:

[Image: A10-pic1_zps9n4pkwho.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I see start pressure is 4.4 and max is at 20.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2015, 04:04 PM)Jtwanabe Wrote: I see start pressure is 4.4 and max is at 20.

OK. My guess would be that you notice the difficulty exhaling when your machine is running at the high end of that pressure range, but it would be helpful to get a closer look at what's going on. Are you up for getting SleepyHead software running and looking at the data on your SD card? The graphs showing pressure ups and downs can often help shed light on what's causing what.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jtwanabe,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never used "sleepy head". How does it work?
Post Reply Post Reply
Check to see if the exhaust holes in your mask are clear from any obstructions or blockage material that may have been in the new hose and got blown into the mask.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyHead is free software you can use to monitor your CPAP treatment. Click on the SleepyHead link at the top of the forum page. For each night SleepyHead will generate a report which allows you to look at the pressure changes during the night and look for patterns or events that can help you fine-tune your therapy. In your case I'm curious to see how high your pressure actually goes, and for how long. More information on SleepyHead can be found here.

Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to kaiasgram's suggestion it has been posted here many times and it has been my experience as well that tightening the pressure range will also help you. in order to properly do this you will need to review your data (using resscan and\or sleepyhead free software both available elsewhere in the forum) and see what pressure you are at 95% of the time. Once you do that you can post your graphs here and check with your doctor as well and you will find the best tightened range for optimal therapy and sleep comfort. Good luck with your therapy.

Coffee
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
To clarify: The 95% pressure number means that for 95% of the time you were at or below a particular pressure. The or below part often gets overlooked or ignored. So for example if your 95% pressure number is 12.4, then your pressure was at or below 12.4 for 95% of the night -- it may have only been at 12.4 for a few minutes and well below that for the rest of the night. The 95% number may not always be the best reference point -- thus the value (and importance) of studying the graphs before adjusting pressure(s).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  [Equipment] Resmed Airfit F30i resistance settings MBARON 0 608 05-29-2023, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MBARON
  Heated Hose Resistance - Philips & Resmed StratCat48 0 539 04-25-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Problems exhaling but not all the time. tsgoodwin23 4 596 10-13-2022, 05:10 PM
Last Post: tsgoodwin23
  [Equipment] Resistance Control setting for Resmed AirFit F20 aolamid 5 2,860 02-10-2022, 04:45 PM
Last Post: hegel
  Do I have Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS)? 1g0tquestions 5 1,523 07-05-2021, 03:20 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dreamstation Resistance Control with an AirFit P30i nasal mask jimcaffey 5 2,046 12-30-2020, 10:00 AM
Last Post: jimcaffey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.