Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie Question
Newbie Question
Hey guys,

Ive always been a loud snorer and a mouth breather. I always suspected I had sleep apnea cause my GF tells me i stop breathing at times at night (especially after drinking some beer). It never concerned me before but I just did some research and found out untreated apnea can lead to serious medical problems.

I basically sleep an average of 6-7 hours a night and I feel fine the next day usually (not exhausted or tired etc). Im thinking of going to the doc for one of those sleep tests. Just wanted an opinion does it sound like i have it bad?

I figured that if you had a bad case you would be tired from not getting much good sleep. Im like 40 - average weight (24 BMI) - non smoker.

I know its not much to go on just looking for some opinions..

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie Question
Hi Grasshopper1917! Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the American Sleep Apnea Association's website. This site has links to various sleep apnea questionnaires that may aid you in determining if you have any apnea symptoms.

http://www.sleepapnea.org/treat/test-yourself.html

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi grasshopper1917 and welcome
Your GF observation is the best guide, get tested for proper diagnoses
Alcohol and sleep do no mix, good idea not drink alcohol or eat food at least 4 or 5 hours before going to bed
Sleep on your side does help too, more snoring if sleeping on your back

Take care and good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi grasshopper1917,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It’s probably a good idea if you can to get a sleep study done, so you can know for sure.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi grasshopper1917,

Definetly get a sleep study done. It will at least give you a diagnosis either way and peace of mind.
If your GF says you stop breathing, and you are snoring, then don't ignore the symptoms even if you don't feel tired during the day.

Your still young. Best to catch and treat this disease before it causes a host of other problems like
High blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid problems, heart disease, etc.

There are many of us on this forum that wish we were diagnosed earlier before we ended up with other medical issues.

Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here.
Get thee to a sleep clinic and make haste.
The sooner you get started on the program and adapted to the therapy, the better your life will be.

Cheers!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Grasshopper 1917,

I agree, get the sleep study done without delay. If possible, hold out for an "in clinic" study with titration. Based on my experience, the less costly "at home" sleep study does not tell the whole story. If insurance is involved the "at home" study may be pushed but you may be able to appeal that and get one done in a clinic.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 129 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.